COMO Cocoa Island
Best Experience for: Honeymoon, Spa & Health, Beaches, Diving
Updated Dec, 2022
COMO Cocoa Island in Maldives is an unforgettable experience on a tropical island in its purest form. Located 40 minutes by speedboat from Malé Airport, Cocoa offers a discreet luxury at its finest in private Boathouse Water Villas with stunning lagoon views, perfect beach, amazing diving and snorkeling in the warm waters of a house reef, simple but excellent food and a holistic Como Shambhala spa.
If Robinson Crusoe hang out with Kevin McCloud and Giorgio Armani, and not with a man named "Friday", his home on a desert island would probably be very similar to Como Cocoa Island: beautifully designed, this resort in South Male Atoll in Maldives is the embodiment of restrained elegance. Reminiscent of the collection of houseboats in Kerala (kettuvallam), individual water villas with white interiors and teakwood floors create an atmosphere of casual romance. This little slice of tropical heaven offers a total escape from everyday life - relax in minimalist style, lose yourself in a yoga class and, of course, dive among the parrot fish, rays and sharks swimming close by.
MALDIVES RESORT Packages, Offers & Promotions
- Kandima - Flash Deal 60% OFF on all room type
- LUX* South Ari Atoll - 50% OFF, COMPLIMENTARY Meal Plan Upgrade from FB to All-Inclusive
- Crown & Champa Resorts: Up to 50% OFF for stays from now into 2024
- OZEN COLLECTION - Save 25% on Luxury All Inclusive Plan
- Baros Maldives: 41% off - Special Offer with airport transfers, HB included
- Cora Cora Maldives - 40% OFF, in Premium Inclusions & flexibility
- SUN SIYAM Resorts - Free Transfer OFFERS
- Constance Resorts - Free Transfer OFFERS
- Kuramathi SUPER SAVER: 45% OFF All Meals Included
- VIEW MORE MALDIVES RESORT PACKAGES
The resort’s 2019 renovation emphasises the island’s natural elegance, whilst giving guests even more space and time to focus on their wellbeing.
Cocoa is one of the most special islands of the Maldives. It is a small but perfectly formed strip of sand, no bigger than a football pitch – just 120 steps from one side to the other at its widest and just 1 400 steps to circumnavigate. The slope of the beach is so gentle that it seems there is no end to it, and calm clean waters lick white, fine sand. Cocoa Island allows guests to comfortably get from one end of the island to the other. If you don’t spend too long stopping to talk to crabs, gather shells or follow the young black-tipped reef sharks that patrol the shallows practising baby bites on passing fish, it takes a leisurely 10 minutes.
Cocoa Island applies a comprehensive environmental policy and takes great care of its pristine natural environment and home reef, as well as in close contact with the projects of local public and charitable organizations. Natural materials have been used throughout: kajan thatch roofing, Maldivian coral-rock walls, and wood. The clean-lined, light-soaked aesthetic makes for meditative spaces to relax, sleep and recover.
Some fun activities can diversify the daily life of guests, who usually come here only for relaxation. Coral reefs are easily accessible and full of diverse marine life. Large schools of fish of all colors and patterns, turtles and reef sharks are common inhabitants of the house reef. One of the best dive sites in the world, the Vadhoo Channel, is a 10-minute trip by diving boat.
The minimalist style creates an extraordinary calm and promotes a well-being that is hard to match. The service is soft and discreet. Facilities are low-key but include diving and yoga. The COMO Shambhala spa is a destination in its own right which offers Asian-based therapies, a hydrotherapy pool and free yoga. DOWNLOAD RESORT MAP
Beaches, as descended from the pages of glossy magazines, warm lagoons with turquoise water and one of the best diving in the Maldives - all this about the South Male Atoll. South Male Atoll (South Kaafu) is a group of islands in the Maldives, which lies just south of the North Male Atoll and is separated from it by the Vaadhoo Kandu channel. Showing the best of the Maldives, South Male region offers everything you can need for a memorable and comfy holiday. The days here revolve around swimming, relaxation, water sports and snorkeling - and nothing more. Read More...
Situated on the tiny island of Makunufushi, part of the South Malé atoll, the resort is conveniently located 40 minutes from Malé airport by speedboat. The marine life is fairly good, with parrot fish, rays and sharks spotted in the surrounding waters.
Inspired by "Dhoni", a traditional Maldivian fishing boat, the villas are a distinctive feature of the resort. The hotel's fleet consists of 33 keys, including 17 Dhoni Suites on stilts, that create a common originality, and open from their terraces a magnificent view of the crystal clear sea. 16 Loft Villas are larger and enjoy privileges as a natural solarium open to the sun and the ocean. From the sun deck there is direct access to the lagoon.
They float over the water and are connected to the island by a wooden jetty. With thatched roofs, mahogany furniture, dark wooden floors and floor-to-ceiling windows, their style can be placed somewhere between exquisite elegance and the simplicity of a "home on the beach." Combining quirky design with Maldivian style, all rooms are very bright and exude pure luxury.
All villas are equipped with quality high-tech facilities, which you can expect from the top luxury hotel. Each room has its own deck, providing unobstructed ocean views and some villas have a mezzanine bedroom. Every accommodation is supplied with COMO Shambhala’s aromatherapy-based, parabens-free body, bath and hair products.
With private terraces, ceiling fans in a vintage style, showers and a separate bath, all rooms here are Dhoni Suites, Dhoni Loft Suites, Loft Villas and villas - individual dwellings located in the clear lagoon along the winding snake of a wooden pier. Whichever you choose, it will be love at first sight, but many guests especially like the two-level Dhoni Loft suites, and the super-private one-bedroom villas with dining table on the terrace and an outdoor shower. Try to book Villa №1001 or №1003, as they stand with backs to Cocoa and have the best direct access to snorkeling. Dhoni Loft villas, all look right along the house reef - choose higher numbers (from №830 down) at the end of the jetty, to ensure maximum privacy.
You just have enough space to swim here, but if you do not like salted, the beach has a beautiful infinity swimming pool where you can splash plenty.
Housed in an open wooden pavilion, Ufaa restaurant offers a daily changing menu based on fresh seafood, fish and vegetables for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The chef draws inspiration from the rich heritage of Malabar coast and Thai cuisine, as well as a vegetarian spa menu of fresh healthy foods, and more familiar food, including pizza and panini. Three times a week Ufaa delights guests with themed menus made up of Indian and Thai recipes, and offers a seafood barbecue buffet. Tandoor in the kitchen allows you to cook a low-fat, fragrant grill of meat, vegetables and fish.
Dress code: Barefoot and in all light. The best tables by the pool, or take one step further (literally) and eat on the beach ... and dinner on your own desk is quite difficult to resist.Bar Faro by the pool twists a mixed assortment of chill out tracks and jazz music. Enjoy sipping lethally delicious fruit punch, good wine or ginger mojito.
Lunch turns off at 14:30; the last order for dinner at 22:30. Drinks are poured in the Faru bar until 11 pm.
Room service: The amazing breakfast menu (fried bacon, cereal, pancakes, pancakes, organic omelette ...) is available from 7-11 in the morning; and from noon to 11 pm, the offer has light snacks and full dishes (try lobster baked in tandoor).
If you dream of changing something in your diet, ask about boat transfer to the nearby Anantara resort, where Baan Hura restaurant offers an excellent set menu of traditional Thai dishes (+960 664 4100).
A third of the private island is occupied by COMO Shambhala Retreat that offers tempting treatments in the spa suites or in the privacy of your villa.. Facilities are spread out to maximise feelings of privacy and quiet, with hammocks and swings strung from trees.
COMO Shambhala Retreat at COMO Cocoa Island in the Maldives is the embodiment of the resort's philosophy for healthy living, combined with a deeply relaxing stay at a private island resort. The emphasis is on a holistic approach and Ayurvedic therapy: book health and wellness packages for the 'wellness path' course using natural sea ingredients, extracts of exotic plants, algae and sea salt. Each package combines a number of additional procedures that allow you to achieve real results, from relaxation to recovery and rejuvenation. In addition to various types of massage and cosmetic treatments for face and body care, the spa also holds yoga lessons, especially popular at sunset hours.
COMO Shambhala draws the inspiration from the surroundings, with treatment pavilions that combine natural wood, traditional Maldivian coral walls and Kajan thatched roofs. The three single treatment rooms have commanding views of the turquoise lagoon, while the couple’s pavilion overlooks tropical foliage. The size of each treatment room, and its positioning amongst the palms, not only give a profound feeling of indulgence but allow therapists to fulfil the Retreat’s full- and half-day multi-treatment paths without moving guests from one room to another.
After renovation a new pilates studio has been added. The yoga studio, which sits in an elevated position to take in the 360-degree lagoon views, is open-sided to allow for the natural flow of sea breezes.
The spa menu offers Asian-based therapies, nutrition and exercise with a results-driven agenda. Ayurveda here is very popular, with a clear link between the resort’s location in the Maldives, and nearby Southern India, where this holistic wellness tradition developed some 5,000 years ago. They also have one of the only hydrotherapy pools in the Maldives, where guests can relax in the heated water, with purpose-built high pressure jets to target different areas of the body. The hydrotherapy pool is now amongst the most significant such facilities in the Maldives, and is used for specialised water-based treatments, including joint-mobilising massage and injury-free exercise.
To complement the wellness experience, COMO Shambhala Cuisine is available on all menus, allowing guests to pursue vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, nutritionally-rich and additive-free wellness diets during their stay. COMO Shambhala wellness juices, infusions and teas are also available for in-room dining.
The Retreat’s spa manager, with the company since 2002, will continue to design every guest programme from the moment of arrival. This is made possible by the intimate size of the boutique resort: just 34 overwater villas, all of which have been recast top-to-bottom with clean-lined, contemporary interiors by Singapore-based Lekker Architects.
DIVING & SNORKELLING
Passionate yoga, lovers of water recreation and sea wolves - for all there are good reasons to get out of bed and leave their luxury cocoon. Every day in the yoga pavilion of Como Shambhala there are free yoga classes; if you want to be more flexible than ever, order a few private lessons; meditation is also on offer.
Diving is definitely the main attraction here: parrot fish patrolling the house reef live only a few minutes from the beach; use free snorkeling equipment or learn diving - Como Cocoa Island has its own PADI diving center, and South Male Atoll is home to some of world's best dive sites - including Cocoa Thila, just behind the resort. If you do not suffer from seasickness, go on a sailing cruise. Island hopping or romantic picnics with barbecue on sand banks, trips by dhony boat, catamaran or speedboat are the perfect tropical way to spend a funny day. While you are on the water, keep your eyes on flying fish and a small flock of dolphins playing in sunrays. The hotel also has windsurfing boards, kayaks and catamarans.
This is not the place to go with screaming babies, but children under one stay free (though you still have to pay $ 8 a day); Babysitting services (from $ 10 per hour) and there is a kids's menu.
Upscale Spa and excellent food, warm sand between the toes, lots of sun and tropical fish in a clean turquoise ocean ... there really is not much to be desired. Ideal for a honeymoon, Cocoa has the atmosphere of a tiny uninhabited island, where the word "worry" is missing in the dictionary. All you need to remember is to pack a swimsuit ... and maybe a couple of interesting books. In general - a small piece of paradise, if someone wants to play in Robinson... “Short but great staying at paradise”,
Exceptional, “Amazing stay at Cocoa Island”, Outstanding service, super comfortable facilities, wonderful location. Fantastic snorkeling.
Benjamin and his team are super careful in making sure all the guests' needs are addressed and satisfied in the best possible way.
Pros: What We Like
- Excellent COMO Shambhala Spa, effective massages and treatments in an inspiring setting;
- The slides from your Water Villa terrace directly into the dazzling world of tropical fish;
- The island itself is an absolutely stunning beach, sand and a warm, calm ocean;
- Unobtrusive luxury at its best, chill and laconic style;
- Creative and tasty breakfasts, like the sun rises over the island, and an excellent dinner with wine
- Excellent location, just 40 minutes by speedboat from Velana (Male) International Airport, and close to the best diving spots;
- The nique hydrotherapy pool located at the spa
- Service, so personal that you forget about other guests.
- In fact, very few mosquitoes;
- Outstanding service, super comfortable facilities, wonderful location
What You Need to Know
- BOOK DIRECT and receive exclusive benefits to enjoy. COMO Cocoa Island offers special promotions and packages, with competitive Maldives resort deals combining a stay at the resort including spa, scuba diving and a host of romantic experiences.
- The property is only accessible by the following modes of transfer: Speedboat transfer takes 45 minutes from Male International Airport.
- check-in from 2:00 PM; check-out until 12:00 PM;
- Children of all ages are welcome. Children 2 - 11 years can use an extra bed when requested US$80 per child, per night
- Upgrade to a Loft Suite or Loft Villa for miles of extra space and decadence.
- The food is excellent, but the island has the only restaurant;
- The villas are conveniently located next to the house reef so you can just slip into the water for a snorkel.
- Dhoni Suites are too close to each other and suffer from a lack of privacy. Most guests will find their terraces too small.
- Shoes, except flip-flops, should leave your bag: you will be barefoot most of the time, and the heels will simply sink in the sand and between the gaps in the decks.
- Mask and snorkel (for free), and equipment for diving can be hired - just do not forget your PADI certificate.
- It's really easy to combine Cocoa with Maalifushi; COMO's new property in the Thaa Atoll. It is only a 50-minute seaplane between the islands.
- Sunset fishing trip and relax on the roof of the boat below the stars above.
- Honeymooners receive a number of benefits on presentation of a recent marriage certificate, dated within six months of the stay (a copy must be sent to COMO Cocoa Island at time of booking or at check-in).Honeymooners staying for four nights or more:
• Bottle of Champagne and fruit platter on arrival
• Honeymoon souvenir from COMO Cocoa Island
• US$60 credit per person towards selected COMO Shambhala treatments
- Due to safety and privacy concerns the operation of unmanned aerial systems or drones by any of guests
- When it opened in 2002, Cocoa Island became COMO’s first private island in the Maldives. In 2014, the company expanded into Thaa atoll with the opening of COMO Maalifushi. This is a much larger, family-oriented resort, and the first five-star property in this more remote area, which is a 60-minute seaplane flight from the main international airport.
- At the 2017 COMO Cocoa Island has been recognised as the Best Hotel in the Maldives for the second year in a row by TripExpert.
- At the 2018 TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards, COMO Cocoa Island secured the 10th spot in the list of Top 10 Hotels for Service in Maldives.
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
Newest Maldives resorts to Explore in 2023
Here are just 10 of the amazing new resorts in the Maldives that are set to welcome guests Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More