Where to Shop and What to Buy in Malé
The capital and most populous city in the Republic of Maldives, Malé is a picturesque place that attracts thousands of tourists. In addition to hotels, attractions, restaurants and cafes, the metropolis of Male is also filled with shops where visitors can buy stuff. Malé shopping can be an exciting adventure.
LiveAboard.com Special Deals in Maldives
- Blue Force One - 21 Aug 2021 - from €1,306.00 - Central Atolls Classical Route - $300 OFF! Rates include discount.
- Emperor Voyager - 09 Oct 2021 - from €1,449.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights - €200 OFF! Rates include discount.
- Soleil 2 -11 Sep 2021 - from €1,135.00 - Ari, Vaavu Classic Route -(15% OFF)
- Blue Shark One - 06 Mar 2022 - from €1,241.00 - Central Atolls - For New Booking Only. Valid until May 31, 2021 .(16% OFF)
- Carpe Diem - 07 Aug 2021 - from €1,655.00 - North Male - Baa - Raa - Baa - Rasdhoo - Ari - Vaavu - South Male (Male-Male) - (15% OFF)
- Emperor Serenity - 19 Dec 2021 - from €1,799.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights - €350 OFF! Rates include discounts.
- Horizon 3 - 21 Nov 2021 - from €1,938.00 - Best of the Central Atolls (Male-Male) - $350 OFF! Rates include discount. Valid until June 30, 2021. Contact us for details.
- Princess Dhonkamana - 07 Aug 2021 - from €1,060.00 - Classic Maldives - (31% OFF)
A Few Words about Touts
As soon as you leave the boat or start your walk on the front, you are likely to be attracted by a Maldivian person who will offer you a trip around the city. He probably will not have any training or accreditation, so it's impossible to say whether this person will be useful to you or become a pain in the back. The main thing that you need to know is that he earns money from commissions from tourist shops, so his main goal is to take you to a shop or two, throwing you to other places that you might also want to see.
What should you do? Take control. Sure there is not - everything is in order. If you find someone good, you're lucky. We hope that in due course trained young people will have certificates of accreditation.
Not so long ago, the goods that came to Male were packed into small shops in the bazaar beyond the harbor. In general, they were standard items, basic food products and the necessary equipment. From there they seeped into households.
Today, these basic household items are represented by dozens of varieties and more, and are available in small shops at every corner. Meanwhile, two main streets, east / west Majeedi Magu and north / south Chandani Magu, are lined with shops of each description, and standard products do not come to the fore. This is the city that buys the best, wherever it can; The top row and famous world brands are becoming more noticeable.
Most tourist souvenir shops are conveniently located on Chandani Magu, a street stretching south of Republic Square (a green field with a flagpole adjacent to the landing site of most tourists) where you can find the most amazing souvenirs. There are stalls stocked with every possible Maldives craft, assuring visitors they’ll find something to bring home. The most popular stalls display the “thudukuna” the traditional Maldives mat, woven by Maldivian women as taught to them by prior generations. You’ll also find beautiful wooden miniatures. Since many stores sell the same items, it is worth checking their number to be sure of a competitive price. Shops Najah Art Palace and Souvenirs (above the shops on Chandani Magu) have a good range and are well managed. For modern crafts made by the Maldives, make your way to The Craft Shop - the touts will not lead you there. Read more about an Authentic Maldivian Crafts...
Orchid Magu, Faamudheyri Magu and Faredhee Magu are also great shopping hubs for the best in Maldives shopping. You will not be disappointed.
Buying Brand Names
Walking in a circle, you will meet the world famous fashion brands, consumer electronics and cosmetics, but a warning: as in many other Asian cities, there are many fakes, copies and scammers.
Four large stores that sell branded goods are only Reefside, Evince, Le Cute and Sonee Sports. Reefside is prominently located at the top end of the Chandani Magu, while Evince sits at the down of the street. Evince and Le Cute (just around the corner from Chandani Magu, to Majeedi Magu) are impressive boutiques. This shopping will be a pleasant surprise for most visitors, even a shock that in Malé there are such modern stores with such high-quality products.
Metropolis Malé has ceased to be the capital of an isolated sultanate, closed to itself, to become a vibrant city open to the world, modern and market-oriented, like any great city in the region. If you have the opportunity to spend here half a day or even a couple of hours, do not miss this exursion.
Also, if luxury brands, happening dining options, and game zones is what you’re looking for, then head to Centro Mall in Hulhumale. Hosting more than 30 brand outlets and flagship stores, classy salons, spa and world-class dining outlets like Manhattan Fish Market, it is unquestionably the classiest place to go for shopping in Maldives.
Shops are open from 9 am to 10 pm and often not closed another hour, which is not prohibited by local laws.
Recent Posts 12.06.2021
- COVID-19 TRAVEL FAQ
- These Maldives resorts offers free PCR test
- Dine Sustainably at Amilla Maldives
- Komandoo Maldives welcomes back Christian Wiedenmann as Executive chef
- 10 Maldives All-Inclusive resorts with Food Worth Traveling for
- InterContinental Maldives crowned as “Best Hotel Architecture, Maldives” at the Asia Pacific Property Awards
- Atmosphere Hotels works up sustainable tourism initiatives
- Rejuvenate Body and Spirit on a Wellness Staycation at Fairmont Maldives
- Sun Siyam Iru Veli celebrates a double win on TripAdvisor Traveler’s Choice Awards
- Qatar Airways to Resume Flights to Sharjah, United Arab of Emirates with a Daily Flight
- LUX* South Ari Atoll appoints Patrice Aira as General Manager
- Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru, Angsana Ihuru appoints Kanruethai Roongruang as New General Manager
- Boost Your Well-Being on Vacation at Marriott Bonvoy resorts in Maldives
- Experience Good Travel with debut of The Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands
- CROSSROADS Maldives crowned at Asia Pacific Property Awards 2021-22
- Meet the new face of Joali: JOALI BEING, Maldives’ first wellbeing retreat
- Enjoy Family Camp-Cation at Hard Rock Hotel Maldives
- Mövenpick Maldives towards resort for a Sustainable Escape
- LUX* Resorts Collection celebrates Global Wellness Day
- Your Freedom Awaits : Adaaran Prestige Vadoo Last Minute Offer - Save Up to 35%
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
10 Best Things to Do in Maldives
Our 10 Best Things to Do in Maldives take you straight to the ‘can't miss' marine treasures and an exciting activities found all around the magical islands of Maldives. There are luxury resorts, beachesRead More
10 Best Things to do in Male
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Local Islands for Snorkeling
Want to snorkel with manta rays, whale sharks and sea turtles or maybe above scenic house reef on your next budget trip in the Maldives? The Maldives is one of theRead More
10 Reasons Why We Love Diving Safari in The Maldives
Picking between resort-based or liveaboard diving can leave even the most avid scuba diver confused. But be sure, safari opens up a whole new world of aqua adventuresRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More