Where to Shop and What to Buy in Male City when Shopping is Your Therapy
Activities and Experiences in the Maldives
The capital and most populous city in the Republic of Maldives, Malé is a picturesque place that attracts thousands of tourists. In addition to hotels, attractions, restaurants and cafes, the metropolis of Male is also filled with shops where visitors can buy stuff. Malé shopping can be an exciting adventure.
LiveAboard.com Special Deals in Maldives
- Nautilus Two - 25 Jan 2023 - from €2,615.00 - Ari and South (Male - Male) - Plus Free Nitrox! (20% OFF)
- Emperor Explorer - 22 Jan 2023 - from €2,094.00 - Sharktastic (Male - Male) - Special Offer! Valid for new bookings only. (23% OFF)
- Emperor Leo - 01 Apr 2023 - from €1,806.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights (Male - Male) - Special Offer! Valid Only for New Bookings. (23% OFF)
- Emperor Serenity - 26 Mar 2023 - from €1,902.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights (Male - Male) - Special Offer! Valid Only for New Bookings. (23% OFF)
- Emperor Virgo - 28 May 2023 - from €1,498.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights (Male - Male) - Special Offer! Valid for new bookings only. (23% OFF)
- Emperor Voyager - 23 Jul 2023 - from €1,451.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights (Male - Male) - Special Offer! Valid Only for New Bookings. (23% OFF)
- Moonima - 05 Mar 2023 - from €4,819.00 - Deep South (Male-Gan) - $500 OFF! Plus Free Nitrox. Rates include discounts.
A Few Words about Touts
As soon as you leave the boat or start your walk on the front, you are likely to be attracted by a Maldivian person who will offer you a trip around the city. He probably will not have any training or accreditation, so it's impossible to say whether this person will be useful to you or become a pain in the back. The main thing that you need to know is that he earns money from commissions from tourist shops, so his main goal is to take you to a shop or two, throwing you to other places that you might also want to see.
What should you do? Take control. Sure there is not - everything is in order. If you find someone good, you're lucky. We hope that in due course trained young people will have certificates of accreditation.
Not so long ago, the goods that came to Male were packed into small shops in the bazaar beyond the harbor. In general, they were standard items, basic food products and the necessary equipment. From there they seeped into households.
Today, these basic household items are represented by dozens of varieties and more, and are available in small shops at every corner. Meanwhile, two main streets, east / west Majeedi Magu and north / south Chandani Magu, are lined with shops of each description, and standard products do not come to the fore. This is the city that buys the best, wherever it can; The top row and famous world brands are becoming more noticeable.
Most tourist souvenir shops are conveniently located on Chandani Magu, a street stretching south of Republic Square (a green field with a flagpole adjacent to the landing site of most tourists) where you can find the most amazing souvenirs. There are stalls stocked with every possible Maldives craft, assuring visitors they’ll find something to bring home. The most popular stalls display the “thudukuna” the traditional Maldives mat, woven by Maldivian women as taught to them by prior generations. You’ll also find beautiful wooden miniatures. Since many stores sell the same items, it is worth checking their number to be sure of a competitive price. Shops Najah Art Palace and Souvenirs (above the shops on Chandani Magu) have a good range and are well managed. For modern crafts made by the Maldives, make your way to The Craft Shop - the touts will not lead you there. Read more about an Authentic Maldivian Crafts...
Orchid Magu, Faamudheyri Magu and Faredhee Magu are also great shopping hubs for the best in Maldives shopping. You will not be disappointed.
Buying Brand Names
Walking in a circle, you will meet the world famous fashion brands, consumer electronics and cosmetics, but a warning: as in many other Asian cities, there are many fakes, copies and scammers.
Four large stores that sell branded goods are only Reefside, Evince, Le Cute and Sonee Sports. Reefside is prominently located at the top end of the Chandani Magu, while Evince sits at the down of the street. Evince and Le Cute (just around the corner from Chandani Magu, to Majeedi Magu) are impressive boutiques. This shopping will be a pleasant surprise for most visitors, even a shock that in Malé there are such modern stores with such high-quality products.
Metropolis Malé has ceased to be the capital of an isolated sultanate, closed to itself, to become a vibrant city open to the world, modern and market-oriented, like any great city in the region. If you have the opportunity to spend here half a day or even a couple of hours, do not miss this exursion.
Also, if luxury brands, happening dining options, and game zones is what you’re looking for, then head to Centro Mall in Hulhumale. Hosting more than 30 brand outlets and flagship stores, classy salons, spa and world-class dining outlets like Manhattan Fish Market, it is unquestionably the classiest place to go for shopping in Maldives.
Shops are open from 9 am to 10 pm and often not closed another hour, which is not prohibited by local laws.
Recent Posts 10.03.2023
- Booking.com Launches Early 2023 Deals: 15% OFF
- Hard Rock Hotel Maldives launches 'Rock & Soul Month' – the Ultimate Wellness and Lifestyle experience
- Best of both worlds in Dubai with Anantara
- Experience Maldives by Art at Grand Park Kodhipparu
- A New Wellness Experience at Anantara Kihavah
- Crown & Champa Resorts: What's new? March 2023
- Raffles Maldives Meradhoo welcomes wellness practitioner Ranjith Saj
- Top hotel deals and offers to book for Eid Al-Fitr in the Maldives 2023
- From MasterChef delights to Easter celebration and other COCO news this month
- ELE|NA at OZEN RESERVE BOLIFUSHI wins World Luxury Spa Awards 2022
- The Nautilus Maldives launches the slumber ritual on World Sleep Day
- Where Kids Stay and Eat Free in the Maldives
- Deep Diving essentials
- COLOURS OF OBLU announces OBLU NATURE Helengeli renovation and rebranding
- LUX Tennis partners with Waldorf Astoria Maldives
- Avani+ Fares Maldives debuts on 1st April 2023 with Pre-Opening Special Offer
- Start Planning: Spring Break 2023 with COMO Hotels
- Constance Festival Culinaire 2023
- Savor the flavors of traditional Japanese cuisine at JW Marriott Maldives
- Latest News from Kandima, March 2023
- Top 5 Free-Spirited Experiences recommended by The Nautilus house masters
- Health events calendar at JOALI BEING for 2023
- Outrigger Maldives Maafushivaru Resort joins World’s Top 100 Elite Properties
- Huvafen Fushi Maldives resort to get revamped
- Explore the culinary wonders of Diamonds Athuruga Maldives
- These Countries Fly Direct to Malé (MLE)
- Maldives Most Booked Hotels
- 10 Maldives resorts to Add to Your 2023 Travel Bucket list
- Where to Spot an Indian Celebs in The Maldives
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More
Maldives Diving Guide
The life of these paradise islands below the Indian Ocean's level is the main draw attracting thousands of divers Read More