Where to Shop and What to Buy in Male City when Shopping is Your Therapy
Activities and Experiences in the Maldives
The capital and most populous city in the Republic of Maldives, Malé is a picturesque place that attracts thousands of tourists. In addition to hotels, attractions, restaurants and cafes, the metropolis of Male is also filled with shops where visitors can buy stuff. Malé shopping can be an exciting adventure.
LiveAboard.com Special Deals in Maldives
- Horizon 3 - 08 Jan 2023 - from €2,686.00 - Deep South Atolls (Addu - Huvadhoo) - 10 Shark Varieties including Tiger Shark - Valid Only Until July 31, 2022! (15% OFF)
- Sunseeker - 06 Aug 2022 - from €1,317.00 - Best of Central Atolls: North Male, South Male, Felidhoo, Ari (Male - Male) - Special Price! Up to $571 OFF! Rates include discount.
A Few Words about Touts
As soon as you leave the boat or start your walk on the front, you are likely to be attracted by a Maldivian person who will offer you a trip around the city. He probably will not have any training or accreditation, so it's impossible to say whether this person will be useful to you or become a pain in the back. The main thing that you need to know is that he earns money from commissions from tourist shops, so his main goal is to take you to a shop or two, throwing you to other places that you might also want to see.
What should you do? Take control. Sure there is not - everything is in order. If you find someone good, you're lucky. We hope that in due course trained young people will have certificates of accreditation.
Not so long ago, the goods that came to Male were packed into small shops in the bazaar beyond the harbor. In general, they were standard items, basic food products and the necessary equipment. From there they seeped into households.
Today, these basic household items are represented by dozens of varieties and more, and are available in small shops at every corner. Meanwhile, two main streets, east / west Majeedi Magu and north / south Chandani Magu, are lined with shops of each description, and standard products do not come to the fore. This is the city that buys the best, wherever it can; The top row and famous world brands are becoming more noticeable.
Most tourist souvenir shops are conveniently located on Chandani Magu, a street stretching south of Republic Square (a green field with a flagpole adjacent to the landing site of most tourists) where you can find the most amazing souvenirs. There are stalls stocked with every possible Maldives craft, assuring visitors they’ll find something to bring home. The most popular stalls display the “thudukuna” the traditional Maldives mat, woven by Maldivian women as taught to them by prior generations. You’ll also find beautiful wooden miniatures. Since many stores sell the same items, it is worth checking their number to be sure of a competitive price. Shops Najah Art Palace and Souvenirs (above the shops on Chandani Magu) have a good range and are well managed. For modern crafts made by the Maldives, make your way to The Craft Shop - the touts will not lead you there. Read more about an Authentic Maldivian Crafts...
Orchid Magu, Faamudheyri Magu and Faredhee Magu are also great shopping hubs for the best in Maldives shopping. You will not be disappointed.
Buying Brand Names
Walking in a circle, you will meet the world famous fashion brands, consumer electronics and cosmetics, but a warning: as in many other Asian cities, there are many fakes, copies and scammers.
Four large stores that sell branded goods are only Reefside, Evince, Le Cute and Sonee Sports. Reefside is prominently located at the top end of the Chandani Magu, while Evince sits at the down of the street. Evince and Le Cute (just around the corner from Chandani Magu, to Majeedi Magu) are impressive boutiques. This shopping will be a pleasant surprise for most visitors, even a shock that in Malé there are such modern stores with such high-quality products.
Metropolis Malé has ceased to be the capital of an isolated sultanate, closed to itself, to become a vibrant city open to the world, modern and market-oriented, like any great city in the region. If you have the opportunity to spend here half a day or even a couple of hours, do not miss this exursion.
Also, if luxury brands, happening dining options, and game zones is what you’re looking for, then head to Centro Mall in Hulhumale. Hosting more than 30 brand outlets and flagship stores, classy salons, spa and world-class dining outlets like Manhattan Fish Market, it is unquestionably the classiest place to go for shopping in Maldives.
Shops are open from 9 am to 10 pm and often not closed another hour, which is not prohibited by local laws.
Recent Posts 03.07.2022
- Covid-19: Now everyone can travel to the Maldives
- SUPER DEAL is back! Save Up to 35% with Eid Eskape at Kandima - Hurry up!
- Hilton Expands Maldives Portfolio with with Debut of Hilton Maldives Amingiri Resort
- Chocoholic? Good Thing There’s Chocolate Scene at Heritance Aarah
- Latest News from Kandima, July 2022
- Sun Island Maldives Resort unveils New Beach villas
- Bulgari Hotels announces Its debut in Maldives in 2025
- Ask Furaveri: What is the SUNsational Summer Vacation?
- Amilla Maldives resort welcomes disabled guests from across the globe
- Maafushivaru Earns ‘Best Luxury Hideaway Resort in Maldives’ Award
- Latest News from Kuramathi Maldives resort, June
- LUX* South Ari Atoll Welcomes The World’s First Solar-powered Vessel
- 5 Reasons Why Kandolhu Maldives resort is the number One for Romantic Getaway
- Patina Maldives Appoints Antonio Saponara as General Manager
- Carnival Cruise Line to Bring Costa Venezia to the U.S. in 2023
- Indulgent Maldives: Elevate Your Experience at OZEN Reserve Bolifushi
- Pulse Hotels & Resorts expand Maldives Portfolio With new Nova Maldives
- Hilton Maldives Amingiri Resort appoints Gaurav Thakur as General Manager
- Please Don’t Tell: SECRET DEAL OFFER – Extra 10% at Heritance Aarah
- OBLU SELECT Sangeli opens JUSTWOK — an Exciting Pan Asian restaurant
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
10 Best Things to Do in Maldives
Our 10 Best Things to Do in Maldives take you straight to the ‘can't miss' marine treasures and an exciting activities found all around the magical islands of Maldives. There are luxury resorts, beachesRead More
10 Best Things to do in Male
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Local Islands for Snorkeling
Want to snorkel with manta rays, whale sharks and sea turtles or maybe above scenic house reef on your next budget trip in the Maldives? The Maldives is one of theRead More
10 Reasons Why We Love Diving Safari in The Maldives
Picking between resort-based or liveaboard diving can leave even the most avid scuba diver confused. But be sure, safari opens up a whole new world of aqua adventuresRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More