Maldives Airports Full List
Transfers in the Maldives
Maldives, the most dispersed country on the planet with 1,192 islands spread over roughly 90,000 square kilometres, already has 14 airports, including five international airports. Honeymoon islands with white sandy beaches and beautiful blue lagoons surrounded by turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean pleasing to the eye already on the airplane board before landing at one of the airports of the Maldives.
Over a million tourists from across the globe visit the Indian Ocean island nation every year to holiday in one of the 120 resorts and 300 plus guesthouses located in all corners of the country. The multi-billion dollar tourism industry, which is the country’s main economic activity, relies heavily on the domestic transport infrastructure, especially air travel.
Good to know: If you are planning a budget trip to the Maldives - do not rush to book air tickets online on the airliners' websites (Maldivian or Manta Air or Fly Me) - contact the staff of the guesthouse or hotel where you are staying, they will book flight tickets for you about twice cheaper.
There are 14 airports currently operating in the Maldives. These include the international airports from the Velaana International Airport, Hanimaadhoo International Airport, Gan International Airport, Villa International Airport, Maafaru International Airport, and domestic airports at Baa Dharavandhoo, Raa Ifuru, Th Thimarafushi, Dhaalu Kudahuvadhoo, Gaaf Alif Kooddoo, Gaaf Dhaal Kaadedhoo, Laamu Kadhdhoo, Haa Dhaal Kulhudhuhfushi, and Gn. Fuvahmulah airport.
The government announced the opening of 5 new airports in the Maldives this year. These include the newly opened Kulhudhuhfushi airport, Maafaru airport, and airports at Gaaf Alif Maavarulu, Shaviyani Funadhoo and Lhaviyani Madivaru.
LiveAboard.com Special Deals this week in Maldives
- Adora - 06 Dec 2020 - from €1,383.00 - Best of Maldives - 7Nights/8Days - 20% OFF
- Emperor Explorer - 06 Dec 2020 - from €1,749.00 - The Best of Maldives - €350 Off! Rates include discount
- Adora - 13 Dec 2020 - from €1,462.00 - Best of Maldives - 7Nights/8Days - 15% off
- Scubaspa Yang - 19 Dec 2020 - from €2,355.00 - Best of Maldives - Group or charter booking specials available. Please contact us for details.- 25% OFF
- Maldives Aggressor II - 03 Jan 2021 - from €1,718.00 - Best of Maldives (Male - Male) - $1000 OFF! Rates include discount.
- Seafari Explorer - 10 Jan 2021 - from €1,363.00 - The Central Atolls: North Male, Ari, Vaavu and South Male Cruise 7 nights - 15%
- Blue Voyager - 12 Jan 2021 - from €1,687.00 - Best of the Southern Atolls (Malé - Kooddoo) - 20% OFF
- Emperor Serenity - 17 Jan 2020 - from €1,829.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights - €170 OFF! Rates include discounts.
- Blue Spirit - 14 Feb 2021 - from €2,510.00 - Far South (Gan-Kooddoo) - 20% OFF
- Horizon 3 - 04 Apr 2021 - from €2,111.00 - Addu – Fuvahmulah - Huvadhoo - Early Bird Deal - 5% off
Malé International Airport (Velana, MLE)
Better known as Malé, Velana International Airport (VIA) is the main air gate of the Maldives. The airport is located on Hulhule Island in 10 minutes by ferry from the capital of Male. The airport is served daily by over 30 international flights, including Etihad Airways, Aeroflot, Air Asia, Emirates, Sri Lankan, Singapore Airlines, Bangkok airways and also domestic flights and seaplanes to other islands of the Maldives archipelago. READ MORE
Gan International Airport (GAN)
Gan International Airport is located in Addu (Seenu) Atoll on Gan Island and is the main airport for the country's southern atolls. Regular flights from Malé and other Maldives airports, as well as international charter flights from Bangkok, Mahe (Seychelles), Colombo, Dubai, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Mauritius, Durban, Perth and other destinations. From Male Airport you can conveniently fly to Gan International Airport. South African Airlines (SAA) will commence direct flights from Johannesburg to Gan in 2018. Private jets use this airport to get to nearby luxury resorts.
Hotels and other properties with an airport shuttle service near Gan Island Airport:
|Charming Holiday Lodge|
Villa International Airport (Maamigili, VAM)
Located in South Ari atoll, Maamigili Airport was designed by Maldives magnate Ibrahim Qasim, a native of Maamigili, as a project to develop the island’s tourism infrastructure. The airport is managed by Villa Group, which also owns two resorts located on neighboring islands. The opening of the airport coincided with the creation of the new Villa Air (Flyme) airline that is one of the main air carriers in the Maldives. With an excess of 2 m above sea level, the airport has one runway is 1,800 m long. The only airport in Alif-Dhaalu Atoll, Maamigili is the inhabited island with a great budget accomodation optios. On 2020 the Maamigili's airport runway will be upgraded for emergency landings.
Also known as 'Whale Shark Island', Maamigili is the largest in this region and other nearby island hotels include Lily Beach Resort, Conrad Maldives Rangali, Sun Island, Holiday Island Resort and others. READ MORE
Hotels and other properties with an airport shuttle service near Maamigili Airport:
Hanimaadhoo International Airport (HAQ)
Hanimaadhoo International Airport is located on one of the inhabited islands of Haa Dhaalu Atoll, and geographically is part of the Thiladhummathi Atoll in the northern part of the Maldives. Today, it is the new Maldives International Airport with daily domestic flights from Malé and Dharavandhoo airport (DRV), and international flights from Trivaandram, India since 2013. The length of the runway is 1220 meters. For tourists, Hanimaadhoo Airport provides access to the northernmost atolls of the Maldives; Haa Alifu and Haa Dhaalu atolls. Plans to expand the new airport in the Maldives include the construction of a new terminal and the extension of the runway capable of receiving long-haul aircraft. Maldivian and Fly Me aircraft fly daily from Male to Hanimadu.
Hotels and other properties with an airport shuttle service near Hanimaadhoo Airport:
|Fanhaa Guest House||Sea esta lodge, Maldives|
|Raakani Home||Cerulean View Residence|
|The Barefoot Eco Hotel||Waadhee Inn Vashafaru|
|Hideaway Beach Resort & Spa||Holiday Home Kelaa|
|Summer Home Kelaa|
Maafaru International Airport (NMF)
The newly developed airport in Noonu atoll, Maafaru was officially opened in august 2018. With a 2.2-kilometre runway capable of accommodating the biggest commercial planes, the A320 and the Boeing 737, Maafaru Airport is designed to be a part of the Abu Dhabi fund project as an ultra-luxury tourism zone. A city hotel, passenger terminal and jet parking facilities will also be developed at the airport. The northern atoll is home to high-end resorts such as Soneva Jani, Velaa Private Island, Cheval Blanc Randheli and Sun Siyam Irufushi.
In 2020 Maafaru International Airport has installed a technologically advanced border control system, facilitating easier travel for tourists through the airport. The airport is also geared up for the “new normal” with an in-house PCR lab, funded by international resort chain Soneva Group, which operates a luxury tourist resort near Maafaru. The airport is also equipped with thermal cameras, glass partitions at service counters, and social distancing markers.
Dharavandhoo Airport (DRV)
Dharavandhoo is one of the most populated islands of Baa Atoll, the only UNESCO Biosphere Reserve surrounded by crystall clear waters and world-class dive sites such as Dharavandhoo Thila and Hanifaru Bay. These protected area provides a safe environment for an abundant marine life, including manta rays and whale sharks, and are well known among divers around the world. With a 1200m runway that's opened in October 2012, Dharavandhoo domestic airport serves FlyMe and Maldivian flights from / to Male, Hanimaadhoo, and Ifuru. A further trip to the Baa Atoll resorts is by speedboats. With a handful of guest houses on the island, Dharavandhoo itself is the perfect place for a budget holiday in the Maldives. READ MORE
Hotels and other properties with an airport shuttle service near Dharavadhoo Airport:
Dhaalu Airport (DDD)
Dhaalu Airport is a regional domestic airport located on the island of Kudahuvadhoo in Dhaalu Atoll in the Maldives. The newly developed state-of-the-art domestic Dhaalu Airport is built entirely on 63 hectares of reclaimed land and features a runway of 1,800 metres allowing it to accommodate Dash-8 and ATR-72 aircraft as well as large private jets. The first aircraft landed at Dhaalu Airport on 1 June 2017. For passengers there is a VIP lounge, shop and restaurant at the airport. With daily flights to/from Male, Dhaalu Airport is the first airport in Maldives to make extensive use of solar airfield lighting. Kudahuvadhoo island is also suited for budget travellers with a some guest houses. Niyama Private Islands Maldivesis 5 minutes by boat away.
Fuvahmulah Airport (FVM)
Fuvahmulah Airport is located on the island-atoll of Fuvahmulah in the Gnaviyani Atoll in the Maldives, and was opened in late 2011. The 1100-meter long runway is served by Maldivian and FlyMe domestic flights from / to Male, Hanimaadhoo (HAQ) and Gan.
Located in Gnaviyani atoll, Fuvahmulah is 1hour 10 min by plane from Male Airport and is known for its beaches, surfing, diving and fishing experiences. The island's treasure is the unique white Thundi pebble beach, which is on the list of ten unique beaches of the world. For millions of years, under the influence of ocean currents, unique reef formations and several types of pebbles were formed. The ideal option for a budget holiday in the Maldives, in 2016-17 the island opened to international tourism, offering several guest houses and mini-hotels for accommodation. READ MORE
Ifuru Airport (IFU)
Ifuru Airport is a domestic airport located on Raa (Northern Maalhosmadulu) Atoll, Maldives. The airport features a 1200m x 30m runway capable of handling turboprop aircraft. Daily Maldivian flights to/from Male, Dharavandhoo and Hanimadhoo airports. This enable both tourists and locals a convenient way to travel back home or to visit the breath taking atoll.
Kaadedhdhoo Airport (KDM)
Kaadedhdhoo Airport is a domestic airport on the island of Kaadedhdhoo in Gaafu Dhaalu (South Huvadhu) atoll, Maldives. The airport is located 340 kilometres south of Malé. It was opened on 10 December 1993. It has one runway designated measuring 1,220 by 30 metres and serves daily Maldivian flights from/to Male, Dhaalu Airport and Gan Island.
Hotels and other properties with an airport shuttle service near Kaadedhdhoo Airport:
|UMET Stay||Hoandedhoo Inn|
|RaabadeMaldives||Amari Havodda Maldives|
|Raffles Maldives Meradhoo||Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort|
|Robinson Club Maldives|
Kadhdhoo Airport (KDO)
Kadhdhoo Airport is a domestic airport located on the island of Kadhdhoo in Laamu Atoll, Maldives. Kadhdhoo is an approximately large island situated halfway between the airports of Malé and Gan. It is mostly rimmed by barrier reefs, the broadest of which are topped by islands. There are many islands along its eastern and southern boundaries. Laamu Atoll forms the southern limit of central Maldives beyond the Huvadhu Kandu, the broadest channel between atolls in the Maldives, lie the southern atolls. The airport’s has one runway measuring 1,220 by 30 metres serves daily Maldivian and FlyMe flights from / to Male and other Maldives airports including Maamigili, Dhaalu, Kooddoo Island and Kaadedhdhoo Island
Hotels and other properties with an airport shuttle service near Kadhdhoo Airport:
|Mo Hotel||Honors Residence|
|Amra Palace||Nazaki Residences|
|Six Senses Laamu|
Kooddoo Airport (GKK)
Kooddoo Airport, located on the island of Kooddoo in Gaafu Alifu atoll, was initially opened on September 10, 2012 with twice daily service from the main Velana International Airport by flagship carrier Maldivian.
In 2018, Kooddoo Airport reopened after a major upgrade to accommodate narrow-body airliners and private jets and the runway has been extended as much as possible. Along with the extended runway, a new lounge serving business class and VIP passengers, and a dedicated harbour have also been developed.
The new runway of the airport measures 1,800 metres in length, and is able to accommodate Airbus A320 and Boeing 737 aircrafts as well as all categories of private jets.
Bonvests Holdings owns the The Residence Maldives resort, and is recently opened resort in Dhigurah island. Other resorts in the region include Pullman Maldives Maamutaa, Amari Havodda Maldives and Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort. The most islands are short boat ride from Kooddoo Airport.
Hotels and other properties with an airport shuttle service near Kooddoo Airport:
|Mercure Maldives Kooddoo Resort||Village Life Maldives|
|Sunnyside Maamendhoo||Island Guest|
|Central View Guest House||The Residence Maldives|
|Baivaru Guesthouse Services|
Thimarafushi Airport (TMF)
Thimarafushi Airport is a domestic airport located on the island of Thimarafushi in Thaa (Kolhumadulu) Atoll, Maldives. The atoll is made up of 67 islands of which 13 are inhabited with a population of over 11,000 people. Built by the Maldives Transport and Contracting Company the airport was opened on 3 September 2013. Daily flights to/from Male by Maldivian.
Hoarafushi Airport (HRF)
Hoarafushi Airport is domestic airport to serve the island of Hoarafushi, in the northernmost Haa Alif Atoll. Officially open in November 2020 the new airport includes a runway measuring 1,200 meters, an apron measuring 8,635 square meters and a passenger terminal.
The national flag carrier, Maldivian will operate daily flights from Male Airport to ease travel for residents of the region and tourists, as travelling to the next closest airport in Haa Dhaalu Atoll’s Hanimaadhoo requires an hour-long journey across the often choppy waters of Gallandhoo Kandu.
MALDIVES RESORTS HOT DEALS
- Flash Sale: 55% savings on stays at Kuredu Island Resort. Coupon Code - KURSPO55. Valid till 30th Nov
- The Nautilus Maldives: Book your House or Residence in advance and benefit from 30% off our Best Available Rate.
- Constance Maldives: Up to 50% discount per booking on accommodation on All Inclusive basis.
- Hard Rock Hotel, Maldives: FASHIONABLY EARLY - Save up to 35% off room rates when you book in advance.
- Baros Maldives: BLISSFUL BAROS - Reopening Offer with airport transfers, breakfast and dinner included. Valid for stays between 1 October 2020 to 22 December 2020 and 10 January 2021 to 22 December 2021.
- Cinnamon Velifushi Maldives: 55% Off All Rates Special Offer. Valid for all new bookings received 02 days or more prior to arrival.
- Radisson Blue Resort Maldives: Stay 3 nights and pay for 2 with Mastercard.
- Kudadoo Maldives: Promotion: 20% off Residences for stays from 1 October 2020 until 05 April 2021
- Kagi Maldives Spa Island: Enjoy 40% opening offer for stay until 23rd Dec 2020
- Komandoo Maldives: Enjoy a discount of up to 40% during this festive season, when you book a stay between November 1st 2020, and January 15th 2021.
- Veligandu Maldives: Last Minute Offer – Save 35%* Stay Window from Nov 1, 2020 – Dec 23, 2020. Booking Window from Oct 30, 2020 – Nov 30, 2020.
Best Hotels in Maldives
Best for Budget Trip
Best Resorts in Maldives
Recent Posts 24.11.2020
- COVID-19 TRAVEL FAQ (updated)
- Air Travel post coronavirus (updated)
- Maldives to Reopen the Resorts: Here is the Schedule (updated)
- Maldives Guesthouses Reopen after COVID-19 closure
- Dhigali Maldives to reopen on 1st Dec as Premium All-Inclusive Resort
- 10 Best Maldives luxury Resorts with Tennis courts
- Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa shines with World Luxury Awards and Hotel of The Year Awards
- Baros Maldives: Christmas time on a sublime tropical private island
- Emerald Maldives Resort hosts Christmas with a Tropical Twist
- The Standard Huruvalhi Maldives reopens Dec 5 with special offers
- OZEN RESERVE BOLIFUSHI is Opening on 3 December
- Tipsarevic Luxury Tennis at Vakkaru Maldives brings some of the world’s best tennis players to idyllic Baa Atoll
- Liveaboards and Diving safaris in Maldives now provide In-Vessel PCR Test
- Seaside Finolhu’s Crab Shack wins Global Luxury Beachside Restaurant at the World Luxury Restaurant Awards
- Milaidhoo Island announces Maldivian-themed festive celebrations: "Story of Raajje"
- Dusit Thani Maldives launches new local "Dusit Safeeru" experiences
- Why the Maldives is the Ultimate Luxury Getaway
- Vakkaru Maldives Wins Three Times Over at the 2020 World Travel Awards
- Raffles Maldives Meradhoo Announces ‘Extravaganza’ Festive programme
- Kagi Maldives Spa Island Opens
- Maldives Border Miles: All you need to know
- Centara Grand Island Resort to Reopen on 1st December with New Offers
- Huvafen Fushi Epicurean Adventure
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
10 Romantic Dining Experiences
The Maldives is a breathtaking destination with it's paper-white sands, azure lagoons, and seclude island vibes. Dining and romance go hand in hand in the Maldives.The restaurants and destinationRead More
6 Underwater Restaurants
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Liveaboards
Liveaboards in Maldives is the best way to discover underwater world with many must-have tropical SCUBA experiences. Deserted, white sand islandsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelersRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More