Manta Rays in The Maldives
Where and When to See Manta Rays in the Maldives
Almost everyone who visites to the islands heard that there are Manta rays in the Maldives. Snorkeling or diving with giant sea 'devilfish' is usually highly regarded and is the top "must do" in the travel bucket lists. Therefore nothing can be more depressing than coming to the resort just to find out that "now is not the Manta Ray season". Why? - you ask. Is not there always a Manta here?
The answer is yes. Manta rays are always and around, but they move and migrate with the seasons. The Maldives is a spectacular destination for sightings of manta rays. However, you need to know where and when to spot them. Therefore, if your main goal is manta rays, make sure that you have chosen the right time and the best location of your resort in the Maldives.
To know where to find mantas at any time, we need to know a few things about the seasons and ocean currents of the Indian Ocean.
Best Time to See
In the Maldives, there are only two seasons - actually called monsoons, and not seasons. The southwestern or monsoon Hulhangu (usually and somewhat erroneously known as the rainy season), runs approximately from May to October. Neatly capturing the Christmas and New Year markets, the northeastern or monsoon Iruvai (you may have heard of it as a dry season), is more likely between December and March. April and November are transitional periods between these two monsoons.
During the southwestern monsoon, the prevailing ocean currents in this region of the Indian Ocean flow from west to east. When these currents reach the Maldives archipelago, there is a strong upwelling, a process in which pure and nutrient-rich deep waters are displaced from more than 2000 meters of ocean floor IN and THROUGH small atolls. As this water flows through atolls from west to east, it enhances and increases the productivity of the food chain, so by the time it reaches the eastern side of the atolls, it is a real soup-zooplankton. And guess what: the mantas feed on this zooplankton!
Therefore, at this time they will migrate to the eastern sides of the atolls, where divers and snorkelers will be delighted with their dancing at the cleaning and feeding stations.
The northeast monsoon changes the direction of the currents. Now they will flow from east to west, means that visibility will now be better on the atoll's eastern side (due to the incoming ocean current), but less zooplankton, therefore, there are no Manta Rays. Mantas is likely to be - you guessed it! - hover around the western edges of the atolls.
So, in general: from May to October it is more likely to see the manta rays on the eastern edges of the atolls. From December to March, on the western outskirts of the atolls. Of course, the season can change sooner or later in any year, and as with anything in nature, there will never be any guarantee for spotting, but if you follow this simple rule, you will significantly increase your chances!
Best Places to Spot
In the Maldives, you can spot manta rays during diving excursions as well as on a snorkeling / swimming trips. Diving operators in the resorts and guest houses offer both types and take you to the sites with their boats.
The best place to see Manta is Hanifaru Bay in Baa Atoll, the only UNESCO Biosphere Reserve in the Maldives. Between May and November, every year, during the Southwest monsoon, on certain days the moon's phases massively increase plankton in the bay. Such a high plankton concentration attracts hundreds of "filterers" in Hanifarг Bay and do not be surprised to see here up to 200 Manta Raus accompanied by a dozen whale sharks.
The Addu (Seenu) Atoll is the southernmost atoll in the Maldives and shaped like a heart. It's an exceptional scuba diving destination. Here, you can spot manta rays year round. In fact, it's manta heaven and not long ago in 2015/16 it was still kind of a hidden gem for seeing manta rays! The Addu Atoll is the only location in the Maldives where mantas with over 5 meter of wingspan are known to exist.
You may also spot manta rays in South Ari during the northeast monsoon from September/October to May (the peak viewing time is February - April). In other months it's really hard to find manta rays here.
Check our list 10 Best Resorts to Swim with Mantas and Whale Sharks in the Maldives
MALDIVES RESORT Packages, Offers & Promotions
- Milaidhoo Island, Baa atoll - 41% OFF (B&B)
- Huvafen Fushi, Male - 41% OFF Free cancellation up to 7 days before arrival
- Atmosphere Resorts: Book direct to Save 25% off + FREE roundtrip transfers & PCR test!
- Reethi Beach - SUMMER DEAL - 3O% OFF
- Baros Maldives: BLISSFUL BAROS - 25% off with airport transfers, breakfast and dinner included
- You & Me Maldives: - UP to 35% OFF Basic Deal 2022
- Crown & Champa Resorts Special offers: Up to 25% OFF for stays from now into 2023
- OZEN COLLECTION, Male - Save 25% on The RESERVE™ Plan when you book directly
- Hard Rock Hotel Maldives: Fashionably Early - 28% OFF with additional benefits
- Mirihi Island: Special Offer - Stay from 1st May 2022 till 31st October and save -25%
- Kuramathi Getaway: All Meals Included. from US$350
- Dhigali Maldives: BOOK DIRECT & SAVE MORE Offer
- VIEW MORE MALDIVES LUXURY RESORT OFFERS
Best Hotels in Maldives
Best for Budget Trip
Best Resorts in Maldives
Recent Posts 15.05.2022
- Covid-19: Now everyone can travel to the Maldives
- The Travel calendar for May in the Maldives
- Discover an Oasis of Health and Wellness at Finolhu Baa Atoll Maldives
- How to Travel green in LUX* South Ari Atoll
- Princess Cruises introduces All-inclusive premier package
- Heritance Aarah Is among World's Top All-Inclusive Resorts
- Say, “Cheers!” to The Platinum Jubilee Weekend at Finolhu Baa Atoll Maldives
- Blue Force expands its Liveaboards Fleet in the Maldive
- OBLU XPERIENCE Ailafushi opens 19th May With Exclusive Private offer
- Latest News from Meeru Island, May
- Euro-Divers Opens Its Doors to Guests at Alila Kothaifaru Maldive
- Soneva Jani welcomes to a Culinary Journey with Lee Westcott
- New AQV Expedition Ship, Ocean Victory, Sets Sail in Alaska
- Dusit Thani Maldives Partners with Local Brand Ogaa
- Alila Kothaifaru Maldives resort Announces Key Appointments
- Three Additional Princess Cruises Ships Return to Service
- Kuredu & Komandoo listed among the 10 Best Dive Resorts in the Maldives
- HAL Adds New Cruises to Australia, New Zealand and Southeast Asia
- Scuba Schools International launches New Diving App
- Amilla Resort recognized as Sustainable Travel Standard in the Maldives
- What's Hot in The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort, May
- Kudadoo Maldives awarded Prestigious Forbes 5-star Rating
- Sip Your Way into Wine Culture at Kuredu Maldives
- AirAsia returns to the Maldives
- Hotel-to-Table: Dine Sustainably at Gili with New Menu and Chef’s Table
- JUST VEG Celebration is Back at Atmosphere Kanifushi
- Latest News from Kandima, May
- Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi Honors First Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Award
- Can't-miss deal of the week: 30% Off Special Offer in Filitheyo Island
- OZEN LIFE MAADHOO opens LONU: New age Maldivian concept
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More