Manta Rays in The Maldives
Where and When to See Manta Rays in the Maldives
Almost everyone who visites to the islands heard that there are Manta rays in the Maldives. Snorkeling or diving with giant sea 'devilfish' is usually highly regarded and is the top "must do" in the travel bucket lists. Therefore nothing can be more depressing than coming to the resort just to find out that "now is not the Manta Ray season". Why? - you ask. Is not there always a Manta here?
The answer is yes. Manta rays are always and around, but they move and migrate with the seasons. The Maldives is a spectacular destination for sightings of manta rays. However, you need to know where and when to spot them. Therefore, if your main goal is manta rays, make sure that you have chosen the right time and the best location of your resort in the Maldives.
To know where to find mantas at any time, we need to know a few things about the seasons and ocean currents of the Indian Ocean.
LiveAboard.com Special Deals in Maldives
- Scubaspa Yang - 15 May 2021 - from €2,313.00 - Best of Maldives - (25% OFF)
- Emperor Voyager - 16 May 2021 - from €1,199.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights - €280 OFF! Rates include discount.
- Carpe Novo - 27 Nov 2021 - from €1,382.00 - North Male - Baa - Ari - Vaavu - South Male - Early Bird Deal (10% OFF)
- Blue Shark One - 02 Jan 2022 - from €1,236.00 - Central Atolls - For New Booking Only. Valid until May 31, 2021 . (16% OFF)
- Maldives Aggressor II - 07 Nov 2021 - from €3,133.00 - Best of Maldives - Meemu (Male-Male) - $500 OFF! Rates include discounts! Valid until May 07, 2021.
Best Time to See
In the Maldives, there are only two seasons - actually called monsoons, and not seasons. The southwestern or monsoon Hulhangu (usually and somewhat erroneously known as the rainy season), runs approximately from May to October. Neatly capturing the Christmas and New Year markets, the northeastern or monsoon Iruvai (you may have heard of it as a dry season), is more likely between December and March. April and November are transitional periods between these two monsoons.
During the southwestern monsoon, the prevailing ocean currents in this region of the Indian Ocean flow from west to east. When these currents reach the Maldives archipelago, there is a strong upwelling, a process in which pure and nutrient-rich deep waters are displaced from more than 2000 meters of ocean floor IN and THROUGH small atolls. As this water flows through atolls from west to east, it enhances and increases the productivity of the food chain, so by the time it reaches the eastern side of the atolls, it is a real soup-zooplankton. And guess what: the mantas feed on this zooplankton!
Therefore, at this time they will migrate to the eastern sides of the atolls, where divers and snorkelers will be delighted with their dancing at the cleaning and feeding stations.
The northeast monsoon changes the direction of the currents. Now they will flow from east to west, means that visibility will now be better on the atoll's eastern side (due to the incoming ocean current), but less zooplankton, therefore, there are no Manta Rays. Mantas is likely to be - you guessed it! - hover around the western edges of the atolls.
So, in general: from May to October it is more likely to see the manta rays on the eastern edges of the atolls. From December to March, on the western outskirts of the atolls. Of course, the season can change sooner or later in any year, and as with anything in nature, there will never be any guarantee for spotting, but if you follow this simple rule, you will significantly increase your chances!
Best Places to Spot
In the Maldives, you can spot manta rays during diving excursions as well as on a snorkeling / swimming trips. Diving operators in the resorts and guest houses offer both types and take you to the sites with their boats.
The best place to see Manta is Hanifaru Bay in Baa Atoll, the only UNESCO Biosphere Reserve in the Maldives. Between May and November, every year, during the Southwest monsoon, on certain days the moon's phases massively increase plankton in the bay. Such a high plankton concentration attracts hundreds of "filterers" in Hanifarг Bay and do not be surprised to see here up to 200 Manta Raus accompanied by a dozen whale sharks.
The Addu (Seenu) Atoll is the southernmost atoll in the Maldives and shaped like a heart. It's an exceptional scuba diving destination. Here, you can spot manta rays year round. In fact, it's manta heaven and not long ago in 2015/16 it was still kind of a hidden gem for seeing manta rays! The Addu Atoll is the only location in the Maldives where mantas with over 5 meter of wingspan are known to exist.
You may also spot manta rays in South Ari during the northeast monsoon from September/October to May (the peak viewing time is February - April). In other months it's really hard to find manta rays here.
Check our list 10 Best Resorts to Swim with Mantas and Whale Sharks in the Maldives
MALDIVES RESORT Packages, Offers & Promotions
- Crown & Champa Resorts Special offers: Up to 40% OFF for stays till October 31, 2021
- Accor Hotels: Recharge Maldives offer with more benefits; Book till May 31 for stays until Sep 30
- Centara Ras Fushi Resort: Save UP to 40%, book till 31 May 2021 - stay Now - 30 April 2022
- Constance Maldives: Up to 50% OFF at Constance Moofushi or Constance Halaveli
- Baros Maldives: BLISSFUL BAROS offer with airport transfers, breakfast and dinner included.
- Dhigali Maldives: Dhigali Special offer with fly, stay and dine benefits!
- Anantara Resorts Maldives: Deals start from USD 464
- Anantara Hotels: Sun Kissed Sri Lankan Escapes offer with 40% savings
- VIEW MORE MALDIVES ISLAND RESORT OFFERS
Best Hotels in Maldives
Best for Budget Trip
Best Resorts in Maldives
Recent Posts 00.05.2021
- COVID-19 TRAVEL FAQ
- These Maldives resorts offers free PCR test
- Le Méridien Maldives Resort debuts in Paradise this Summer
- The Maldives have been added to UK's red list countries
- Take Your Vacation to the Next Level with Amilla Maldives
- St. Regis Maldives appoints Pedro Samper as Executive Chef
- The Nautilus Maldives launches its first ever Holistic Spa Month
- Sheraton Maldives Introduces USD 130,000 Exclusive Island Takeover
- Mother’s Day Weekend at Vilamendhoo Island Resort
- 5 Ways to Enjoy Honeymoon at Maafushivaru Maldives
- The Ritz-Carlton Maldives partners with Bamford brand
- Cora Cora Maldives Appoints Umberto Piccolini as Culinary Director
- The Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands announces LEGENDARY DEBUT offer
- Marriott Bonvoy celebrates Healthcare Heroes with special rates
- The Maldives resorts still welcomes Indian travelers!
- John Legend and Chrissy Teigen vacations in the Maldives
- Spend a romantic weekend at Baros Maldives
- The Most Romantic Bed and Breakfasts in the Maldives
- Why Milaidhoo Island is one of the Maldives' Hidden Gems
- 10 of our Favorite reasons to escape to Kuramathi Maldives
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
10 Romantic Dining Experiences
The Maldives is a breathtaking destination with it's paper-white sands, azure lagoons, and seclude island vibes. Dining and romance go hand in hand in the Maldives.The restaurants and destinationRead More
6 Underwater Restaurants
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Liveaboards
Liveaboards in Maldives is the best way to discover underwater world with many must-have tropical SCUBA experiences. Deserted, white sand islandsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelersRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More