Maldives on a Budget
Goidhoo is an inhabited island of Baa atoll that will pleasantly surprise you with beautiful beaches, good snorkeling, and an excellent value for money and offered quality. Sometimes called the Horsburgh Atoll, that also includes the islands of Fehendhoo and Fulhadhoo, Goidhoo is administratively part of Baa Atoll, and was inhabited only relatively recently. Great in Maldivian standards, the island itself is the capital of the Goidhoo atoll, and is separated from the Baa atoll by a channel 10 km wide. Measured 1.7 km wide and 2.2 km long is one of the few islands in the Maldives with fresh lakes.
LiveAboard.com Special Deals this week in Maldives
- Honors Legacy - 05 Dec 2020 - from €1,310.00 - Best of Maldives (Male - Male) - Group specials - 30% OFF! Rates include discount. Valid for new bookings only. Inquire for detail.
- Blue Force One - 05 Dec 2020 - from €1,685.00 - Central Atolls Classical Route - Single Cabin Offer - Single supplement reduced to 50% for a private double cabin! Plus 50% off a second consecutive week
- Emperor Explorer - 06 Dec 2020 - from €1,749.00 - The Best of Maldives - €350 Off! Rates include discount
- Adora - 13 Dec 2020 - from €1,462.00 - Best of Maldives - 7Nights/8Days - 15% off
- Emperor Leo - 26 Dec 2020 - from €1,699.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights - €200 OFF! Price includes discount.
- Maldives Aggressor II - 03 Jan 2021 - from €1,718.00 - Best of Maldives (Male - Male) - $1000 OFF! Rates include discount.
- Seafari Explorer - 10 Jan 2021 - from €1,363.00 - The Central Atolls: North Male, Ari, Vaavu and South Male Cruise 7 nights - 15%
- Emperor Serenity - 17 Jan 2020 - from €1,829.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights - €170 OFF! Rates include discounts.
- Horizon 3 - 04 Apr 2020 - from €2,111.00 - Addu – Fuvahmulah - Huvadhoo - Early Bird Deal - 5% off
How to Get: Transfers
Goidhoo is 100 km from Malé International Airport (VIA), and 35 km from the domestic airport on the island of Dharavandhoo (DRV). Get to Goidhoo is best by public speedboat Male-Goidhoo. Upon arrival at Malé airport, you will be met by staff and escorted to the speedboat. The journey time is 1.45 - 2 hours, depending on the weather. A public speedboat from Male is leaving Willingly ferry terminal at 9 am on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Back to Malé at 13:30, on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays. If you travel a large group, it's best way to book a private speed boat from Male airport. The rental price is $900-1000/boat. There is no ATM on Goidhoo, so please stock cash in Malé.
The second option (less budgetary) is by local airline from Malé airport to Dharavandoo airport. Flights are run daily, the journey time is 25 minutes, the ticket price is $ 95 one way. From Dharavandoo airport to Goidhoo by speedboat, the journey time is 40 minutes, cost for renting a boat is USD 150-200. We recommend booking airplane tickets through your guest house, not on the airline's website - it will be much cheaper!
There is one more option. There is a supply ferry going from Male to Goidhoo once a week on Sunday night (from Sunday to Monday). Usually it departs in the midnight, the journey takes about 5 hours. It goes back from Goidhoo on Saturdays at 5 AM.
Schedule and tariffs we recommend check with the host before your arrival in the Maldives.
The Goidhu island with Fehendhoo and Fulhadhoo lies in Horsburgh (Goidhoo) Atoll taht is separated from Baa (South Maalhosmadulhu) atoll by a six-mile-broad (9.7 km) channel. This atoll is oval in shape and small, its greatest length being 10 miles (16 km). The inner lagoon has a depth of 17 to 20 fathoms; it has a sandy bottom mixed with mud and clay. Unlike the lagoons of most small atolls of the Maldives, this lagoon is free from coral heads in its centre.
From the island's history it's known that in the 19th century an African settled here, who worked for many years in the palace of the Sultan in Malé, was officially freed from slavery by the King of Maldives. After receiving freedom, a house and a well were built for her on Goidhoo. This woman was called Salaam, and today there are some families on the island that are descendants of their African ancestor. The islanders are very friendly people and are always ready to help you.
Goidhoo island is quite large by local standards, but the village itself is very small, it is home to no more than 500 people. The rest of the island is embraced with tropical vegetation, mainly palm trees of several species (including coconut trees) and ficus. There are somel minimarts, a pharmacy and two cafes on the island.
The island is surrounded by numerous reefs that abound in unique marine life and fauna. Goidhoo is a home for large amphibian crabs (the size of some reaches 40 centimeters in diameter), especially many crabs can be seen at sunset around the lakes. By the way, these crabs are a delicacy among the locals, and you can try to catch them yourself.
Things to Do
Perfect place for family, romantic or a group travel experience, Goidhoo Island surrounded by a huge beautiful lagoon and white sandbanks.
It takes about 15 minutes to get to the beach, but you can use free bicycles - this is an excellent idea of transportation around the island. The beach is regularly cleaned, and there are umbrellas and sun loungers on the sand.
Goidhoo is the right destination for fishing and snorkeling, the house reef is abundant with marine life, including turtles, rays and sharks. Goidhoo Reef is also suitable for kiting and windsurfing. Expect fishing, island hopping, crab hunting, picnics on sandbars and much more exursions on offer.
Not far from Goidhoo is a private (uninhabited) islet and a beautiful sandbank where you can take an excursion. Trips to Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu and to Hanifaru Bay, the famous UNESCO Biosphere Reserve to swim with Manta Rays are available. Fun Diving trips and a variety of water sports are available on request.
As for dining - you can not worry - the portions are very generous, the food is beautifully presented and the service is unobtrusive (we recommend breakfast + dinner meal plan). In general, the food and drinks are varied and insanely delicious, including freshly caught seafood and fish!
Where to Stay
There are only two guest houses (October 2018) on Goidhoo: Horsburgh Island Guesthouseand Olive Goidhoo. The territory of the guest houses is very cozy and pleasant. A lot of greenery and flowers. The rooms are spacious, very clean and equipped with air conditioning, TV with cable channels, free wifi, and tea | coffee with all accessories. There is a sunbathing terrace, a children's playground and a restaurant. Guests like almost everything, but most of all positive feedback about the attentive and caring attitude service, from the meeting at the airport to the organization of excursions and leisure.
Recent Posts 19.10.2020
- COVID-19 TRAVEL FAQ (updated)
- Air Travel post coronavirus (updated)
- Maldives to Reopen the Resorts: Here is the Schedule (updated)
- Maldives Guesthouses Reopen after COVID-19 closure
- Yachting in the Maldives with Crown & Champa Resorts
- Cocoon Maldives offers XXL All -Inclusive plan
- Emerald Maldives expands culinary offerings with Russian cuisine
- LUX* South Ari Atoll brings Circus to Maldives this Festive Season
- 10 Most Affordable Water Villas in Maldives
- These Hotels are now Offering Free Covid PCR test in the Maldives
- Experience LUX* North Male Atoll in All-Inclusive Offer
- One & Only Reethi Rah Maldives: Place to celebrate this Christmas
- Joali Maldives wins 2020 Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Award
- Bollywood Star Taapsee Pannu Holidays at Taj Exotica Resort, Maldives
- Hard Rock Hotel Maldives amongst top Indian Ocean resorts
- Waldorf Astoria Maldives and Conrad Rangali Island Welcome Guests with Assurance and Peace of Mind
- The Ritz-Carlton Maldives Appoints Alia Korshykova as Sales Manager
- Huvafen Fushi Epicurean Adventure
- Most Sustainable Luxury Resorts in Maldives
- Top 10 most Remote Luxury Resorts in Maldives
- Choosing room type that's right for You at Waldorf Astoria Maldives
- Must Do Experiences at Constance Moofushi
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
10 Best Things to Do in Maldives
Our 10 Best Things to Do in Maldives take you straight to the ‘can't miss' marine treasures and an exciting activities found all around the magical islands of Maldives. There are luxury resorts, beachesRead More
10 Best Things to do in Male
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Local Islands for Snorkeling
Want to snorkel with manta rays, whale sharks and sea turtles or maybe above scenic house reef on your next budget trip in the Maldives? The Maldives is one of theRead More
10 Reasons Why We Love Diving Safari in The Maldives
Picking between resort-based or liveaboard diving can leave even the most avid scuba diver confused. But be sure, safari opens up a whole new world of aqua adventuresRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More