Maldives on a Budget
The famous surf spot and diving site, Himmafushi is the populated island of North Malé Atoll (Kaafu Atoll) and a perfect place to discover Maldivian island life experience. Located halfway to Diffushi, between Malé Airport and Huraa Island, Himmafushi is a great destination for budget holiday in the Maldives if you like snorkeling, surfing and water sports.
LiveAboard.com Special Deals (14.03.21) in Maldives
- Horizon 3 - 04 Apr 2021 - from €2,111.00 - Addu – Fuvahmulah - Huvadhoo - Early Bird Deal - 5% off
- Moonima - 04 Apr 2021 - from €1,312.00 - The Central Atolls: North Male, Ari, Vaavu and South Male Cruise 7 nights - (26% OFF)
- Princess Rani - 18 Apr 2021 - from €1,240.00 - Addu - Male - Valid on new bookings only.
- Maldives Aggressor II - 02 May 2021 - from €1,857.00 - Best of Maldives (Male - Male) - Travel the World Special! (25% OFF)
- Nautilus Two - 3 Jun 2021 - from €1,344.00 - Ari and South - €640 OFF on Summer Specials!
- Blue Spirit - 22 Aug 2021 - from €1,196.00 - Baa & Central Atolls (Male-Male) - (20% OFF)
- Blue Voyager - 08 Aug 2021 - from €1,170.00 - Baa & Central Atolls (Male-Male) - (20% OFF)
- Blueshark One - 5 Sep 2021 - from €1,075.00 - Central Atolls - For New Booking Only. Valid until March 31, 2021
- Emperor Serenity - 12 Sep 2021 - from €1,429.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights - (25% OFF)
How to Get: Transfers
Himmafushi is a local island approximately 17 km from Malé International Airport and the capital city of Maldives. Before your trip to Himmafushi from Malé, take care of the cash (rufia or dollars) - there is no ATM on the island. Some guest houses accept Visa/Mastercard for payment, but there is a 4% tax on the amount. If you want to get to the island on a budget, by ferry on the same day, plan an arrival to the Maldives on any days except Friday (day off). To get to your hotel in Himmafush it is possible by two ways: public ferry or speedboat.
- Public Ferry - 15:00, jetty #1 in Malé, everyday except Fridays, cost 2 USD. Departure on Thursdays at 22:30. The journey takes 45 minutes. From Himmafushi to Male, daily at 08:00, except Fridays. On Thursdays departure at 18:00. The journey takes 50 minutes.
- Speed Boat - 20 min, leaves from airport at anytime, 100 USD/boat one way
- Dhoni - 1 hour, leave from airport at anytime, 100 USD/boat
- Public Speed Boat - jorney time 20 min, leaves 3 times per day, must book in advance, 10 USD/per
Since 2009, Himmafushi has attracted more and more foreign tourists after the Maldivian government was allowed to open guest houses (mini-hotels) in populated islands, and Himmafushi was one of the first to provide investment in tourism. The popularity of the beautiful island is rapidly gaining momentum, and visitors enjoy the real taste of Maldives culture, and local residents receive additional income from tourism.
At the local shipyard you can observe carpenters for their daily routine, creating traditional dhoni boats of all sizes, or admire the original craftsmanship of local artisans in souvenir shops. It does not matter if you just want to relax, dive or catch a wave - all the possibilities in Himmafushi at budget prices. If you want to see the Maldives from the inside, then you are here.
Measured 900X750 meters, a typical fishing island with a population of about 800 souls, Himmafushi is covered with sandy roads and coconut palms, and all the sights above the sea level can be discovered in 40 minutes by foot or by bicycle, which some hotels offer for hire.
Ideal for swimming and snorkeling, Bikini Beach is in the island's northern tip near some guest houses. A short strip of sand with fringed coconut trees has not yet received the official status of a tourist beach, but this is the only place on the island where you can sunbathing and swim in a bikini.
Try surfing! North Male features some of the best and most consistent waves in all of the Maldives. Himmafushi has waves of all experiences, shapes and sizes within 15 minutes of the island.
Jailbreak is on the island's south edge offering daily free riding at any time of the day. Jailbreaks – this is the main break of the island, named after the fact it’s right in front of a jail and until recently it was actually illegal to surf there (as the entrance was on private property), but now it’s no worries! the reeling right hand point/reef break offers some long rides and fast barrel sections. If you’re getting to the break from the land make sure you pack your reef booties. The best season for surfing is from the middle of March to the end of November.
Two other famous waves in the Maldives - Honkys and Sultans - can be caught on the nearby island of Thanburudhoo (5 minutes by boat). Sultans is a super fast right wave that works better with large swells and can become very long with a southern swell. The best conditions with the western wind and tide.
Ninjas – a slightly more mellow break (also referred to as Piddlies) Ninjas is one of the more beginner friendly and longboard friendly waves in the area and is best surfed at 4 foot and under and breaks much slower than most of the waves in the area. Perfect for learning and cruising!
Cokes – one of the most famous surf breaks in the Maldives this right hander is very similar to Jailbreaks actually, although slightly faster on the right swell. Well worth checking either as a day trip from Himmasfushi (it’s about $80 on a private trip) or if you want to spend some more time on this wave you can also stay on Thulusdhoo. Read More about Surfing in Maldives...
- Snorkeling Safari: The mask and snorkel is an invariable accessory for every traveler in the Maldives, where a diverse marine life makes snorkeling a real treat for your eyes. An unforgettable experience in which a guide will accompany you and show you the best snorkelling sites, and after telling you the important role that this or that creature plays in the ocean ecosystem. Himmafushi has no its own house reef, but in each hotel you can arrange a tour of the nearest coral reefs. Rates from $ 30.
- Sport fishing: If you like fishing in Himmafushi there is an opportunity to catch a big fish and in the finale the staff of your guest house will gladly cook your catch for you.
- Dolphins watсhing. Dolphins are common on the horizon of the Maldives. Playful sea animals have their own daily routine. Dolphins in search of food hunt at night away from the islands, entering the atolls early in the morning, and leaving again to the open ocean after dinner. This reliable schedule means that it is very easy to spot them at a certain time every day. A unique and unforgettable experience for the whole family.
- Resort tours: Around of Himmafushi are several luxury resorts, including 5-star Gili Lankanfushi Maldives. Full day excursion or 1-2 nights all inclusive package offers you the opportunity to visit several islands and appreciate their unique beauty and facilities, especially if you stay in Water Villa. There you can find alcoholic beverages, which are banned in Himmafushi. Prices of tours from $ 110.
The first and only diving center in Himmafushi, located next to Villa & Lodge, Just Dive Maldives provides standard PADI courses, quality diving equipment and fun diving trips to the best dive sites of Khaafu Atoll with a team of professional instructors under German management. Certified divers require: your certificate, a logbook, and a valid medical certificate. The school also offers diving gear for rent, and there are places where you can store your own.
Popular dive sites: Hp Reef, Okobe Thila, Nassimo Thila, Manta point, Colloseum, Aquarium and many others, including wreck-diving. Expect to see an abundant marine life and amazing sea creatures, including colorful corals, whale sharks, manta rays, turtles and pelagic fish species.
Things to Do
Maldives has 1198 islands, and only a very few can boast a surf spot right in front of the island. This rare opportunity to discover the real Maldives and learn about local life while riding the world-class waves. In addition to surfing and diving, there are day trips to neighboring luxury resorts, snorkeling exursions, fishing ... Himmafushi is accustomed to foreign tourists and quickly adapted, offering all kinds of entertainment that the paradise Maldives has to offer.
Given that almost every hotel has a cafe or restaurant - you will not remain hungry at Himmafushi. The menu is mostly a mix of local and popular Western dishes, including pastas, salads, sandwiches, meat and fish with rice, and fresh bread. Breakfast is very hearty, and definitely try the traditional Maldivian breakfast 'mas-huni-roshi'. Outside the guest houses, in the village there are some restaurants, if you want to know the real tastes of Maldivian cuisine, especially some of the post-dinner snacks cooked deep-fried, known as 'khedika'. The average bill in a restaurant for two is approximately $ 10-15.
Fish can be found from local fishermen and cooked independently (in some hotels there are accessories for barbecue) or ask the staff. The island also has a handful of grocery and souvenir shops with reasonable, budgetary prices. After sunset, night entertainment - "Bodu Beru" - the best option.
Where to Stay
Today (2019) there are 12 hotels on Himmafushi, with good value for money on reviews, and the hosts (a wonderful family) try to make the most for an unforgettable holiday of the guests to ... like everything! Few "budget" islands can boast such cordiality and responsiveness of local residents. READ MORE
Recent Posts 12.04.2021
- COVID-19 TRAVEL FAQ
- Air Travel post coronavirus (updated)
- Soneva launches Academy for Children
- Mohammad Shami has a vacation at Kandima Maldives before new cricketing season
- Marriott Bonvoy portfolio in Maldives formes new Market Sales & Marketing team
- Milaidhoo Maldives has announced a special offer for upcoming Eid al-Fitr holidays
- Rediscover the Maldives with Centara
- The Nautilus Maldives launches skydiving
- Shraddha Kapoor is back to Maldives, now at Baros
- Surbhi Jyoti shares vacation photos and videos from The Standard getaway in Maldives
- Minissha Lamba having an adventure Maldives holiday at Hideaway Beach Resort
- Indian actor Allu Arjun enjoys family time at OZEN RESERVE BOLIFUSHI
- Enjoy Maldives Adventure holidays with island resort special offers
- Maldives Cheap Scuba Diving Holidays: 10 Best Hotels for divers on a budget
- Book in advance and enjoy discount off the best rates
- Enjoy Ramadan Escape at Grand Park Kodhipparu, Maldives
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
10 Best Things to Do in Maldives
Our 10 Best Things to Do in Maldives take you straight to the ‘can't miss' marine treasures and an exciting activities found all around the magical islands of Maldives. There are luxury resorts, beachesRead More
10 Best Things to do in Male
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Local Islands for Snorkeling
Want to snorkel with manta rays, whale sharks and sea turtles or maybe above scenic house reef on your next budget trip in the Maldives? The Maldives is one of theRead More
10 Reasons Why We Love Diving Safari in The Maldives
Picking between resort-based or liveaboard diving can leave even the most avid scuba diver confused. But be sure, safari opens up a whole new world of aqua adventuresRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More