Gangehi Island Resort
Best Experience: Couples, Diving, Value
Gangehi Island Resort is a small island that aims to have more weight, offering a high level of accommodation in a beautiful location and with a first-class diving school. If you are looking for peace and quiet, Gangehi offers excellent value for money with a terrific introduction to the Maldives for those who first dip their feet in the Indian Ocean. Small, beautiful and very high class. These are the basics; The real story is that there is a certain magic in this place. Only good things always happen on Gangehi.
Just await 25 minutes by seaplane from Malé Airport, the resort was re-opened in 2008 after major renovation that saw new beach bungalows, 8 Over-Water Deluxe rooms and the only two-bedroom Family Garden Villa. The interiors of the rooms and restaurants were modernized, and new ideas for entertainment and excursions were added.
LiveAboard.com Hot Deals this week in Maldives
- Scubaspa Ying - 10 Oct 2020 - from €1,047.00 - Best of Maldives - Group or charter booking specials available. Please contact us for details.
- Sachika - 17 Oct 2020 - from €1,098.00 - Best of Central Atolls: North Male, South Male, Felidhoo, Ari - %22 off
- Sheena - 18 Oct 2020 - from €1,302.00 - Best of Male and Ari Atoll (Male-Male) - Promo valid for New Bookings only. No Single Supplement for Single Travellers. - %30 off
- Ocean Sapphire - 07 Nov 2020 - from €1,272.00 - Best of Central Atolls: North Male, South Male, Felidhoo, Ari - %15 off
- Blue Force One - 05 Dec 2020 - from €1,685.00 - Central Atolls Classical Route - Single Cabin Offer - Single supplement reduced to 50% for a private double cabin! Plus 50% off a second consecutive week
An idyllic retreat, this secluded and peaceful island has lush vegetation, on one side it is bordered by a house reef close to the beach, on the other it opens into a blue lagoon. Protected by its barrier reef, the island is a pearl of white sand, shaded by coconut palms and surrounded by crystal-clear sea. The marine life is one of rare beauty: an vibrant variety of tropical fish swim around the coral along with marine turtles and many other Apart from the thousand of multi-colored fish in all shapes and sizes and the corals themselves, there is a whole separate world populated by turtles, manta rays, sharks and dolphins.
The resort used to have a beach problem, with no sand for the beach bungalows and the waterbungalows stranded on a beach, but this has been completely overcome by pumping. Pumped sand is not as fine as original beach sand and some walls have been built in the lagoon, but now there is beach all around and the waterbungalows are over the water.
In addition to the aquatic life around the island there are other types of animals that you may encounter, including Flying foxes, herons, terns (black and white), the Indian Ocean cuckoos and crows. You better not encourage them to come closer by feeding them. Some species of reptiles are present on the island including lizards, geckos and iguanas. DOWNLOAD RESORT MAP
Located on the outskirts of North Ari Atoll, Gangehi Island can be reached within 25 minutes by seaplane from the capital Male’. In order to make full use of the hours of sunlight Gangehi is one hour ahead (+1) of Male time.
A total of 45 rooms and villas scattered throughout the island and decorated in a simple local style with teak furniture, making Gangehi one of the smallest resort hotels in the country. All rooms have their own veranda, air condition, a minibar and free wireless internet. Club rooms are located in the garden and offer a comfortable space, while the large Garden Villas are bright and spacious, with high wooden ceilings. Beach Villas are scattered right on the sand, each with a shady veranda surrounded by tropical greenery for extra privacy. The newly renovated Water Villas offer stunning sunset views and are equipped with a large wooden terrace with sun loungers and direct access to the crystal clear waters. We strongly recommend upgrade to Overwater Deluxe Villa because of their decor, beautiful dark wood and original antiques from India, plus a spacious veranda with comfortable couches and sun loungers. OverWater Villas and Deluxe OverWater Villas additionally equipped with tea / coffee making facilities, as well as Deluxe OverWater Villas equipped with an iPod dock station and an elegant bathroom with a double sink and a large rain shower. There is also the Family Villa, which has a second bedroom and a bathroom. The TV is only included in Club Rooms and Overwater Deluxe Villas.
Despite the tiny size of the island, the resort has a significant variety of locations. Some beach bungalows (64 sqm) are tucked behind a little vegetation at the very start of the sandbank. 3 more are hidden in the jungle interior and the others are strung around the perimeter with good privacy but varying amounts of sun, beach and vegetation. 12 overwater bungalows (76 sqm) face west from their large, private deck while the other 4 are on a new jetty snaking out into the lagoon with coral all around. 2 face north and 2 face south.
OverWater Villas are larger than Beach Villas, but otherwise very similar. The interiors are spacious, cool and a bit dull. Dark wood is widely used in combination with fabrics and curtains, the design of which is formed of black, brown and white shades. Tinted sliding-door glass offers a great view, but keep the rooms shaded and private.
The closeness to the fascinating underwater world makes this villa the ideal choice if you want to experience an authentic Maldives holiday. Your private veranda features sun loungers, while the lavish bathroom has a shower area and double basins for added convenience. You also have access to sun loungers on the beach, to which you have direct access.
Restaurants and Bars
Finally, the dining is second to none. There are two brilliant restaurants to choose from, the main buffet restaurant is perfectly complemented by the a la carte restaurant. 5-star resorts are coming up around the country and the food standard continues to soar but still dinner on Gangehi competes with the best. Breakfast and lunch are large buffets but dinner is served at the table. Never heavy, never too much, varied and perfectly paced. What a delight that is.
The main restaurant, Veli, is a favorite place for a buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner with a variety of international dishes and open cooking stations. This laidback restaurant serves tantalizing buffets inspired by Italian, International and Oriental cuisine. Don’t miss out the home-made ice cream for dessert! Veli Restaurant also has an adjoining bar where you can head after your dinner for a cocktail or two.
With its magical location in the middle of the lagoon, the Thari lounge and restaurant serves à la carte menu, and is only open in the evening, with lagoon views and with outdoor or indoor seating. This exclusive restaurant is not included in the full board package, but the location is very tempting, as the tables facing directly to the sunset from a wide deck surrounded by corals below. You can also order drinks at Kandu Bar, that is open full day and expires with refreshing fruit juices, beer, wine and cocktails.
This is not a club, but there is a feeling of being connected with each other. Everyone is usually on a full board. There is only one bar and lounge, as well as a small program of events and entertainment that determine the day and week.
Full Board Basis includes:
– High Tea in the afternoon
– Selected alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages
– Free use of snorkeling equipment
– Daily replenishment of minibar
– A sunset fishing excursion OR snorkeling excursion
– 30 minutes massage session
With few guests and fewer divers, attention is on an individual basis and the diving is terrific. Thanks to its strategic location in the North Ari Atoll, the Gangehi Island Resort is able to offer innumerable diving sites suitable for either beginners, more advanced or expert divers with qualified multi-lingual PADI and SSI instructors. The PADI and SSI Dive Center is providing exciting, safe dives for adventurous guests amongst the breath-taking marine life and warm waters of the Indian Ocean. It guarantees the highest level of quality and professionalism. So whether you are a young diver, a family, a complete beginner, a single diver, a couple or a group of experienced divers, we invite you to come and dive with us to discover the amazing underwater world!
Gangehi is located within striking distance of some world famous sites to the south as well as the hammerheadshark spot of Rasdhoo to the east. For snorkelers, there are 2 trips a day on the resort’s dhoni. Other regular events are the sunset fishing trips and a nightly film projection.
A permanent feature is the lovely sandbank that stretches into the lagoon from beside the bar and lounge and restaurant. Soft, white and very fine, the open stretch is ideal for the more communal times - from sunbathing to bocce. And it is from here that guests walk out to house reef snorkelling. Gangehi Lagoon regularly draws the magnificent Whale sharks and, of course, Manta rays and other large fish.
Ginger Spa offers spa treatments combined with a spiritual and meditative experience to achieve well-being of the body and mind. Coconut palms and white beaches frame the luxurious construction, which consists of four original old wooden cottages delivered from Kerala, the cradle of Ayurveda. Antique furniture and decor, candles, oriental music and mysterious fragrances are part of a unique spa experience. The choice of massages (Ayurvedic and Thai) is well known in the Maldives and ranges from relaxation of tension and complete relaxation to invigorating procedures and original Ayurvedic methods.
Before sunset guests are invited to join yoga classes in the open air in the courtyard of the spa, the practice of full relaxation with the help of breathing and stretching exercises.
There is a well-stocked and original boutique on the island (clothing, souvenirs and personal care products). Two highly skilled tailors can do made-to-measure clothes of guests choice with typical material in a short time. Our boutique always offer an excellent selection from the latest collection.
Gangehi is a delight for everyone. A great place for couples, with a wonderful sandbank and a vibrant house reef, closed from the waves. You will want to soak everything as far as possible, and then go back next year.
... “Spectacular views. Extremely poor breakfast. Many small issues, that should'n have been.”, “Lovely little island getaway.”, “Superb relaxing week, with amazing scenery, food and friendly staff”, “Amazing”, “Paradise.”, “Gangehi is a perfect place for relaxing”, “Romantic getaway”, “more than expected, must go!”, “Perfect place to stay to rewind and relax. a place we will never forget.”, “Traquil beauty on an extremely welcoming resort.”...
Why stay here? What Guests Love
- Wonderful, helpful and friendly staff
- The OverWater villas are clean and spacious, with beautiful views. Rooms are cleaned 2 times a day.
- The miniature size of the island creates a real sense of privacy and romance, so this is an ideal resort for couples
- Great house reef and amazing snorkeling. Variety of corals, lots of fish, sharks and turtles.
- A magnificent and professional dive center
- Beautiful sandy beach
- A lot of entertainment and excursions to snorkeling with dolphins and manta rays
- Delicious and varied food. Buffet: the best ever.
What You Need to Know
- Gangehi Resort is located on a private island in North Ari Atoll (Alif Alif atoll) and is 25 minutes by seaplane from Male airport
- Check out 10:00-12:00 but flexible The earliest check-in time is 14:00.
- All children are welcome.
- Excessive seaplane rates transfer
- Fittings and furniture may not seem entirely new
- In Club Rooms very high audibility - take a villa on the beach or OverWater Villa
Best Hotels in Maldives
Best of Maldives
Recent Posts 20.09.2020
- Reethi Beach Resort reopens with a new room category
- Reethi Faru Resort Opens new Deluxe Beach Pool Villas
- OZEN Reserve Bolifushi appoints Falaaz Ismail as sales director
- 'Work smart' from Paradise at Grand Park Kodhipparu Maldives
- Air Travel post coronavirus (updated)
- COVID-19 TRAVEL FAQ (updated)
- Maldives to Reopen the Resorts: Here is the Schedule (updated)
- Seaside Finolhu Ready to Open Following Exciting Transformation
- Emperor Maldives starts 'Lucky Trip' offer with guaranteed liveaboard spot
- Soneva launches Virtual Wine Tasting
- Must Do Experiences at Constance Moofushi
- The Ritz-Carlton Maldives features new butler concept
- These Hotels are now Offering Free Covid PCR test in the Maldives
- Top 10 Things to Do at Waldorf Astoria Maldives
- The 10 Most Amazing Places for Travel Photo in Maldives
- 10 Reasons You Should Add Waldorf Astoria Maldives to Your 2021 Bucket List
- Maldives Guest Houses to Reopen from 15 October
- 10 Reasons Why We Love Diving Safari in The Maldives
- Soneva Fushi Opens New One - and Two-bedroom Over-Water Villas
- Experience The Ultimate All-Inclusive Holiday at Emerald Maldives
- The Best Local Islands for Budget Family Holiday
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
Best Dine By Design Experiences
The Maldives is a breathtaking destination with it's paper-white sands, azure lagoons, and seclude island vibes. Dining and romance go hand in hand in the Maldives.The restaurants and destinationRead More
6 Underwater Restaurants
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Local Islands for Snorkeling
Want to snorkel with manta rays, whale sharks and sea turtles or maybe above scenic house reef on your next budget trip in the Maldives? The Maldives is one of theRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelersRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More