10 Best Things to Do in Maldives
What Not to Miss in the Maldives
Updated September, 2020
Be sure, our '10 best things to do' transfers you right to the ‘can't miss' underwater paradise and to an exciting activities, and an unique 'white sand and azure water' experiences found all around the Maldives. There are luxury resorts, amazing beaches, incredible dive sites, and spots of natural beauty spread across all the island nation.
This narrowing-down of choices will get you discovering the best of the Maldives has to offer in no time. Live new adventures every day, from fun family activity to romantic escapes, to culinary treats , there is something for everyone in a once-in-a-lifetime holiday
LiveAboard.com Special Deals this week in Maldives
- Adora - 06 Dec 2020 - from €1,383.00 - Best of Maldives - 7Nights/8Days - 20% OFF
- Emperor Explorer - 06 Dec 2020 - from €1,749.00 - The Best of Maldives - €350 Off! Rates include discount
- Adora - 13 Dec 2020 - from €1,462.00 - Best of Maldives - 7Nights/8Days - 15% off
- Scubaspa Yang - 19 Dec 2020 - from €2,355.00 - Best of Maldives - Group or charter booking specials available. Please contact us for details.- 25% OFF
- Maldives Aggressor II - 03 Jan 2021 - from €1,718.00 - Best of Maldives (Male - Male) - $1000 OFF! Rates include discount.
- Seafari Explorer - 10 Jan 2021 - from €1,363.00 - The Central Atolls: North Male, Ari, Vaavu and South Male Cruise 7 nights - 15%
- Blue Voyager - 12 Jan 2021 - from €1,687.00 - Best of the Southern Atolls (Malé - Kooddoo) - 20% OFF
- Emperor Serenity - 17 Jan 2020 - from €1,829.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights - €170 OFF! Rates include discounts.
- Blue Spirit - 14 Feb 2021 - from €2,510.00 - Far South (Gan-Kooddoo) - 20% OFF
- Horizon 3 - 04 Apr 2021 - from €2,111.00 - Addu – Fuvahmulah - Huvadhoo - Early Bird Deal - 5% off
Maldives has become the main luxury play ground in the world for newlyweds, surfers, divers, spa enthusiasts, sunbathers and even occasional celebrities. Synonyms for unsurpassed luxury, the Maldives have the most expensive hotels on the planet, with rooms that match the archipelago's reputation. Those who have the opportunity to shell out - often more than $ 5,000 a night - for some of the most decadent luxury resort entertainment in the world will be spoiled for choice. Each resort is built on a private tropical island, providing exclusivity, tranquility and full privacy. Guests can choose between villas built on dazzling white sand on the beach or in bungalows located on stilts over the shimmering blue lagoons. The ultra-luxury spa, restaurants with Michelin stars, unsurpassed butler service and impressive wine cellars. To help you choose the right resort for your upcoming Maldivian rendezvous, we published a list of the 10 most preferred hotels in the Maldives, each with its own choice of luxury that made the Maldives so famous. READ MORE
For most travelers, the iconic image of the Maldives is a deep blue ocean dotted with tiny palm islands surrounded by crystal clear lagoons and sugar-white beaches. The only way to see this spectacular view of 50 shades of blue is from the air and although you catch a some shots while landing at Male airport, you will be offered the best viewpoint for spectacular panoramic views - on seaplane board. Indeed, while all hotels in the North and South Male Atolls use speedboats to / from the airport for guest transfers, more distant (and often more luxurious) resorts require a seaplane transfer with a flight duration from 20 minutes to one hour. Most of seaplane services in the Maldives are provided by Trans Maldivian Airways. A seaplane trip in the Maldives and admiration of a paradise archipelago from a bird's eye view is one of the most impressive experience that this destination can offer. READ MORE
Almost all water villas in the world are located in French Polynesia (the South Pacific) and in the Maldives, although there are some alternatives that can be found outside these unrivaled Bounty islands. Currently, there are about 8,000 overwater bungalows / villas in the world, and about two thirds of them are in the Maldives. Staying in a luxury villa, standing on stilts over a beautiful stretch of turquoise lagoon, is highly appreciated by the most discerning travelers and for a certain reason. Indeed, it is difficult to overcome the desire to stay on a paradise island in a bungalow-style room, perched above the untouched waters, where immersion in the warm sea waters of the Indian Ocean is literally beyond your doorstep. The most exclusive Maldives' resorts offer a luxurious accomodation that will surpass your wildest dreams, with stunning amenities and views: from outdoor terraces and infinity pools to glass floor panels and retractable roofs, allowing guests to admire the fish schools below or look higher into the tropical starry sky. READ MORE
Maldives is a paradise and one of the best beach destinations in the world, and it is very difficult to argue with this fact. More than 1000 islands are decorated with white sandy beaches and are surrounded by the most turquoise water. The only thing you hear on the beach is the whisper of palm trees swaying in the wind, and the hiss of Indian ocean's warm waters licking powdery soft sands. If you like spending your lazy days on your own stretch of white beach, while the golden rays of the sun caress your body, then you should book a beach villa where there is nothing but sand and the blue sea. While most of the beaches in the Maldives are amazing, the quality of sand differs from island to island, since, unfortunately, some resorts use sandbags, sea walls and breakwaters to preserve the condition of their idyllic beaches. The following luxury resorts include the cleanest, white, talcum sand, widely embracing their idyllic islands: Top 10 best beaches in the Maldives. READ MORE
Statistically, almost half of the guests in the Maldives come with the intention to go with snorkeling or diving or, once they see the crystal clear waters and colorful fish and corals, can not resist trying. Indeed, the hypnotic beauty of the majestic underwater world surrounding the paradise islands is beyond imagination. Deep channels divide 26 atolls, starting from Haa Alifu atoll in the north more than 800 kilometers to Addu Atoll in the south and concentrating nutrient-rich ocean currents. The latter supports the abundance of marine life, turning the Maldives into one of the world's best places for scuba diving, as well as the best place on the globe for diving or snorkeling with giant whale sharks, harmless reef sharks and impressive manta rays. Most resorts have their own certified diving center PADI and offer easy access to world-class dive sites suitable for divers of all levels of experience; Diving schools also host courses to teach a new comers how to dive themselves in the colorful underwater world. READ MORE
If diving for you sounds too difficult, you will be pleased to learn that the Maldives stand head and shoulders above any other destination in the world when it comes to snorkeling. Swimming with a mask and snorkel is open to anyone who knows how to swim and does not require much experience. At all the resorts, around the island there is a so-called "house reef", where a small lagoon drop off into deeper ocean waters. A home reef is an area close to a vertical wall, where corals begin to gather in the form of gardens that abound in marine life and colorful fish. The shallow waters surrounding the house reef is also a large natural pool and protects swimmers from ocean waves and strong currents outside the reef. Snorkeling in the Maldives can give you close contact with everything from fish-surgeons, tuna and parrot fish, to eagles, turtles and even sharks. The quality of the house reef is different from the resort to the resort, and the best house reefs are located in Anantara Kihavah Villas, Angsana Ihuru, Bandos Island Resort, Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru, Filitheyo Island Resort, Kandolhu Island Maldives, among others. Check our top 10 snorkeling resorts with best house reef. READ MORE
The mind, body and spirit benefit from a relaxing holiday in the Maldives, especially when it is enhanced by relaxing and rejuvenating treatment sessions at the spa. It is estimated that there are approximately 110 top-class spa in the resorts, as well as several spa in Male and even one in Male Airport + unofficial spas servicing guests staying on inhabited islands. In Maldives, the spa is much more than the traditional sense of a commercial institution offering health and beauty treatments. Resorts not only meet the luxurious standard of accommodation, but also go beyond its design and layout. In the lagoon there are overwater spas that enjoy panoramic sea views; Spas in the garden surrounded by lush tropical vegetation; Spas on its own islands; Spas on the beach and in temple sanctuaries; Spas is caressed by serenades of bubbling waters and phenomenal underwater spas. Each spa aims to convey an exciting atmosphere of tranquility, where exotic therapy challenges the imagination. READ MORE
Swimming with Whale Sharks & Manta Rays ticks the top on bucket list of many visitors in the Maldives. Being one of the biggest fishes in the ocean and one of the most majestic creatures to see underwater, snorkeling or diving with these gentle giants is one of the ultimate experiences. Fortunately the Maldives is a breathtaking destination for sightings of whale sharks and manta rays all year round. However, good to know where and when to watch them. READ MORE
World famed powdery sands, deserted pearl strung islands, and one of the greatest diving destinations on the planet, are charms which naturally catapult the Maldives to the top of most people’s holiday hot list. Dining and romance go hand in hand in the Maldives. Enjoy private dinner for two under a starlit sky while sipping champagne with canapés and floating on a private platform gently bobbing on the ocean, on a palm-studded private island, a secluded spot on the beach with your toes in the sand and with a breathtaking view, or at a candlelit table on the sundeck of your overwater bungalow as you marvel over the incredibly romantic sunset in stylish, surreal surroundings – all paired with impeccable service. READ MORE
Maldives is widely regarded as one of the most beautiful romantic destinations in the world, and for known reasons. What never fails to please with its iconic sunsets, white beaches, world class spa, fantastic snorkeling and diving, restaurants marked with Michelin stars, endless kinds of turquoise lagoons and stunning water villas. It's no wonder that the newlyweds are flocking here from all over... Enjoying a fabulous reputation for privacy, the Maldives really deliver honeymoon's dream with most resorts offer rituals with candles and rose petals and romantic bedding for newlyweds. How much more romantic can it look like? Thanks to the reputation of one of the world's most popular luxury honeymoon destinations, Maldives is also a popular honeymoon destination for the rich and famous. Katy Perry and Russell Brand, Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are just two of the top-ranking (former) couples who spent their honeymoons in the Maldives. However, do not limit these beautiful islands only to your honeymoon. They are also ideal for family holidays or relaxing with friends. READ MORE
MALDIVES RESORTS HOT DEALS
- The Nautilus Maldives: Book your House or Residence in advance and benefit from 30% off our Best Available Rate.
- Constance Maldives: Up to 50% discount per booking on accommodation on All Inclusive basis.
- Hard Rock Hotel, Maldives: FASHIONABLY EARLY - Save up to 35% off room rates when you book in advance.
- Baros Maldives: BLISSFUL BAROS - Reopening Offer with airport transfers, breakfast and dinner included. Valid for stays between 1 October 2020 to 22 December 2020 and 10 January 2021 to 22 December 2021.
- Cinnamon Velifushi Maldives: 55% Off All Rates Special Offer. Valid for all new bookings received 02 days or more prior to arrival.
- Radisson Blue Resort Maldives: Stay 3 nights and pay for 2 with Mastercard.
- Kudadoo Maldives: Promotion: 20% off Residences for stays from 1 October 2020 until 05 April 2021
- Kagi Maldives Spa Island: Enjoy 40% opening offer for stay until 23rd Dec 2020
- Komandoo Maldives: Enjoy a discount of up to 40% during this festive season, when you book a stay between November 1st 2020, and January 15th 2021.
- Veligandu Maldives: Last Minute Offer – Save 35%* Stay Window from Nov 1, 2020 – Dec 23, 2020. Booking Window from Oct 30, 2020 – Nov 30, 2020.
Best Hotels in Maldives
Best for Budget Trip
Best Budget Hotels
Recent Posts 22.11.2020
- COVID-19 TRAVEL FAQ (updated)
- Air Travel post coronavirus (updated)
- Maldives to Reopen the Resorts: Here is the Schedule (updated)
- Maldives Guesthouses Reopen after COVID-19 closure
- 10 Best Maldives luxury Resorts with Tennis courts
- Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa shines with World Luxury Awards and Hotel of The Year Awards
- Baros Maldives: Christmas time on a sublime tropical private island
- Emerald Maldives Resort hosts Christmas with a Tropical Twist
- The Standard Huruvalhi Maldives reopens Dec 5 with special offers
- OZEN RESERVE BOLIFUSHI is Opening on 3 December
- Tipsarevic Luxury Tennis at Vakkaru Maldives brings some of the world’s best tennis players to idyllic Baa Atoll
- Liveaboards and Diving safaris in Maldives now provide In-Vessel PCR Test
- Seaside Finolhu’s Crab Shack wins Global Luxury Beachside Restaurant at the World Luxury Restaurant Awards
- Milaidhoo Island announces Maldivian-themed festive celebrations: "Story of Raajje"
- Dusit Thani Maldives launches new local "Dusit Safeeru" experiences
- Why the Maldives is the Ultimate Luxury Getaway
- Vakkaru Maldives Wins Three Times Over at the 2020 World Travel Awards
- Raffles Maldives Meradhoo Announces ‘Extravaganza’ Festive programme
- Kagi Maldives Spa Island Opens
- Maldives Border Miles: All you need to know
- Centara Grand Island Resort to Reopen on 1st December with New Offers
- Huvafen Fushi Epicurean Adventure
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
10 Romantic Dining Experiences
The Maldives is a breathtaking destination with it's paper-white sands, azure lagoons, and seclude island vibes. Dining and romance go hand in hand in the Maldives.The restaurants and destinationRead More
6 Underwater Restaurants
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Liveaboards
Liveaboards in Maldives is the best way to discover underwater world with many must-have tropical SCUBA experiences. Deserted, white sand islandsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelersRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More