10 Free Things to Do in the Maldives
From luxurious over-water villas to world-class diving, Maldives is overflowing with enticing places to splurge. But if you’re looking to experience the island nation without blowing your budget, there are plenty of fun and action-packed options that are totally free (or at least refreshingly inexpensive).
Here are our favorite free things to do in the Maldives, from exploring house reef and beaches and seeing the sunset to enjoying water sports and bodu beru without spending a penny.
For more freebie, including some spa treatments and excursions, take the all-inclusive package. See our 10 Best All Inclusive Resorts in Maldives list.
LiveAboard.com Special Deals in Maldives
- Ari Queen - 07 Jan 2023 - from €1,816.00 - Classic Central (Male - Male) - 7 Nights - Save up to $428 OFF! Rates include discounts. (23/9)
- Emperor Explorer - 02 Apr 2023 - from €2,336.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights (Male - Male) - Autumn Sale! T&C applies. (10% OFF)
- Emperor Leo - 07 Jan 2023 - from €2,021.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights (Male - Male) - Autumn Sale! Also available for group bookings. (10% OFF)
- Emperor Serenity - 01 Jan 2023 - from €2,111.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights (Male - Male) - Autumn Sale! T&C applies. (10% OFF)
- Emperor Virgo - 01 Jan 2023 - from €1,940.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights (Male - Male) - Autumn Sale! (10% OFF)
- Emperor Voyager - 14 Jan 2023 - from €1,886.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights (Male - Male) - Autumn Sale! (10% OFF)
Snorkeling in the Maldvas is the most affordable and most exciting activity for everyone to enjoy the underwater wonders. All you need is a mask, fins and an easily accessible house reef teeming with marine life including reef sharks, rays and turtles.
Most hotels have the house reef that's easily accessible from the beach while other island resorts offer snorkelling excursions for free to take you to the nearest reef where you could experience some brilliant snork. Many operators provide snorkeling gear for free off charge, but it is better to bring your own mask and off course underwater camera. READ MORE
Besides its gorgeous white sand beaches, tropical climate and crystal clear turquoise water, the marine life is one of the most impressive things to see while in the Maldives.
Stingrays often come up to the beach. Most of the resorts in Maldives organize stingray feeding experience for the guests that might take place in the early morning hours or in the evenings.
Maldives is one of the best beach destinations in the world with more than 1000 islands are decorated with white sands and are surrounded by the most azure water. The only thing you hear on the beach is the whisper of palm trees swaying in the wind, and the hiss of Indian ocean's warm waters licking powdery soft sands.
The next luxury resorts include the cleanest, white, talcum sand, widely embracing their idyllic islands: Top 10 best beaches in the Maldives. Read more
Most of these places are so beautiful that you do not even need professional equipment to take good pictures. It has everything from luxury over-water pool villas to exotic beaches fringed with palm trees to deserted islands to sand banks to the sunsets. Browse through the 10 most photographed sites in the Maldives. READ MORE
Yoga by the sea is a great form of self-care in the Maldives. Whether you looking for some insider information from the experts or searching a great way to maintain a healthy relationship with yourself to transmit and radiate good feelings to others the practice of yoga is about healing the self through self-discovery and self-acceptance.
You can join a group yoga sessions cost or practice at your own pace on the beach or on the terrace of your villa. READ MORE
Maldives' surfer crowd comprises experienced riders and beginners who want a piece of the action. The most of resorts provide easy access, by either a short boat ride or a short paddle to some of the world's best reef breaks. With perfect protection from the wind, regular swells, and ideal reef setups, the atolls nearby Male airport probably offers the Maldives' best surf. A surfing land-camp in the Malé Atolls will be your best option. READ MORE
Maldives has an eclectic mix of luxury resorts with stunning swimming pools that offer views of a turquoise Indian ocean and white sand beaches. As the hotel’s centrepiece and icon, swimming pools are the perfect spot for lazy days in the sun or for unwinding after a day out exploring.
Gaze into the blue from a resort’s infinity pool. Plunge and lounge the day away or lap up the action, the choice is yours. READ MORE
A big part of the Maldives are its welcoming people and let’s not leave your interest to the local culture at home. One of the best ways for you to experience the best of both worlds is to attend the Maldivian Night where you can see and hear the pristine side of the Maldives.
The Bodu Beru is a traditional music and dance that has survived modern influences, and is widely being played across the Maldives’ local islands and resorts by experienced drummers. READ MORE
In most resorts, non-motorized water sports are free and you can choose windsurf board, canoe, kayak and Stand‐Up Paddle Board throughout your stay. READ MORE
The capital of the Maldives, Malé is the throbbing, mercantile heart of the nation, a densely crowded and extraordinary place, known mainly for that which contrasts sharply with the laid-back way of life in other parts of the country.
Malé city is also pleasant and unusual - non-alcoholic bars and restaurants coexist with shops and lively markets, and the general hubbub of the capital largely determines its image. This city island gives a chance to truly feel in the Maldives, to assess how well the human machinery works, and also to meet with the Maldives on an equal footing. Read more
MALDIVES RESORT Packages, Offers & Promotions
- Baros Maldives: UP TO 50% off Bed & Breakfast
- Kandima FLASH SALE - 50% OFF on All Meal plans
- Hard Rock Hotel Maldives: Fashionably Early - UP TO 45% OFF with additional benefits
- Milaidhoo Island, Baa atoll - 45% OFF (B&B)
- Huvafen Fushi, Male - 41% OFF: BEST AVAILABLE RATES
- Crown & Champa Resorts Special offers: Up to 25% OFF for stays from now into 2023
- NOKU MALDIVES: - 4th Anniversary 40% OFF offer!
- Adaaran resorts: - Last Minute OFFER with Maximum Flexibility
- OZEN COLLECTION, Male - Save 25% on The RESERVE™ Plan when you book directly
- Kuramathi Getaway: with Complimentary Meal Upgrade
- Dhigali Maldives: BOOK DIRECT & SAVE MORE Offer
- VIEW MORE MALDIVES RESORT PACKAGES
Best Hotels in Maldives
Best for Budget Trip
Best Resorts in Maldives
Recent Posts 24.09.2022
- Covid-19: Now everyone can travel to the Maldives
- Creative Activities in The Maldives: The ART of Bohemia experience at The Nautilus
- Top Best Places for Swimming & Diving with Whale Sharks
- Netherlands First Anantara Debuts in the Heart of Amsterdam
- Six Senses Laamu launches Sustainability Camp for Kids
- Celebrate the End of Year with Anantara Veli: Reopening Special offer
- Join Wellness retreat with Celebrity Trainer Ramona Braganza at Kandima
- Plan a Festive Getaway of Your Dreams: A Magical Baros Tale
- Marine Conservation at OBLU SELECT Sangeli
- Holland America Line Announces 2024 Grand Australia and New Zealand Voyage
- CROSSROADS Maldives celebrates 3 Years of Service Excellence
- Hard Rock 50th Anniversary Sale is Here: FLASH OFFER 25% off
- Latest News from Meeru Island, September 2022
- Princess Cruises’ New Ship, Sun Princess, to Debut in 2024
- Projekt Delfin in the Maldives has launched
- Scuba Diving experience at Emerald Faarufushi Resort
- Experience Holistic Wellness at The Standard Maldives with Ranjith Saj
- Discover the Freedom of Movement at Soneva Jani this Octobe
- Amilla Maldives resort to host Tennis Clinic with Emma Raducanu
- Masaba Gupta is living her Best Life in the Maldives
- Crown & Champa Resorts: What's new? September, 2022
- Discover the Key to a Good Life at Amilla Maldives this fall
- Mouni Roy enjoys Family weekend in the Maldives
- It's Time to Plan: 2022 Festive Season at Komandoo
- Summer Forever! Experience TASTE OF WINTER at Furaveri Maldives
- Where to Spot an Indian Celebs in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More