10 Free Things to Do in the Maldives
From luxurious over-water villas to world-class diving, Maldives is overflowing with enticing places to splurge. But if you’re looking to experience the island nation without blowing your budget, there are plenty of fun and action-packed options that are totally free (or at least refreshingly inexpensive).
Here are our favorite free things to do in the Maldives, from exploring house reef and beaches and seeing the sunset to enjoying water sports and bodu beru without spending a penny.
For more freebie, including some spa treatments and excursions, take the all-inclusive package. See our 10 Best All Inclusive Resorts in Maldives list.
LiveAboard.com Special Deals (21.02.21) in Maldives
- Blue Force One - 27 Mar 2021 - from €1,462.00 - 7 Atolls Route - Deep South Down (Male - Koodhoo) - $500 OFF!
- Horizon 3 - 04 Apr 2021 - from €2,111.00 - Addu – Fuvahmulah - Huvadhoo - Early Bird Deal - 5% off
- Moonima - 04 Apr 2021 - from €1,312.00 - The Central Atolls: North Male, Ari, Vaavu and South Male Cruise 7 nights - (26% OFF)
- Princess Rani - 18 Apr 2021 - from €1,240.00 - Addu - Male - Valid on new bookings only.
- Emperor Serenity - 02 May 2021 - from €1,429.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights - %22 off
- Maldives Aggressor II - 02 May 2021 - from €1,857.00 - Best of Maldives (Male - Male) - Travel the World Special! (25% OFF)
- Nautilus Two - 3 Jun 2021 - from €1,344.00 - Ari and South - €640 OFF on Summer Specials!
- Blueshark One - 5 Sep 2021 - from €1,075.00 - Central Atolls - For New Booking Only. Valid until March 31, 2021
- Emperor Serenity - 12 Sep 2021 - from €1,429.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights - (25% OFF)
Snorkeling in the Maldvas is the most affordable and most exciting activity for everyone to enjoy the underwater wonders. All you need is a mask, fins and an easily accessible house reef teeming with marine life including reef sharks, rays and turtles.
Most hotels have the house reef that's easily accessible from the beach while other island resorts offer snorkelling excursions for free to take you to the nearest reef where you could experience some brilliant snork. Many operators provide snorkeling gear for free off charge, but it is better to bring your own mask and off course underwater camera. READ MORE
Besides its gorgeous white sand beaches, tropical climate and crystal clear turquoise water, the marine life is one of the most impressive things to see while in the Maldives.
Stingrays often come up to the beach. Most of the resorts in Maldives organize stingray feeding experience for the guests that might take place in the early morning hours or in the evenings.
Maldives is one of the best beach destinations in the world with more than 1000 islands are decorated with white sands and are surrounded by the most azure water. The only thing you hear on the beach is the whisper of palm trees swaying in the wind, and the hiss of Indian ocean's warm waters licking powdery soft sands.
The next luxury resorts include the cleanest, white, talcum sand, widely embracing their idyllic islands: Top 10 best beaches in the Maldives. Read more
Most of these places are so beautiful that you do not even need professional equipment to take good pictures. It has everything from luxury over-water pool villas to exotic beaches fringed with palm trees to deserted islands to sand banks to the sunsets. Browse through the 10 most photographed sites in the Maldives. READ MORE
Yoga by the sea is a great form of self-care in the Maldives. Whether you looking for some insider information from the experts or searching a great way to maintain a healthy relationship with yourself to transmit and radiate good feelings to others the practice of yoga is about healing the self through self-discovery and self-acceptance.
You can join a group yoga sessions cost or practice at your own pace on the beach or on the terrace of your villa. READ MORE
Maldives' surfer crowd comprises experienced riders and beginners who want a piece of the action. The most of resorts provide easy access, by either a short boat ride or a short paddle to some of the world's best reef breaks. With perfect protection from the wind, regular swells, and ideal reef setups, the atolls nearby Male airport probably offers the Maldives' best surf. A surfing land-camp in the Malé Atolls will be your best option. READ MORE
Maldives has an eclectic mix of luxury resorts with stunning swimming pools that offer views of a turquoise Indian ocean and white sand beaches. As the hotel’s centrepiece and icon, swimming pools are the perfect spot for lazy days in the sun or for unwinding after a day out exploring.
Gaze into the blue from a resort’s infinity pool. Plunge and lounge the day away or lap up the action, the choice is yours. READ MORE
A big part of the Maldives are its welcoming people and let’s not leave your interest to the local culture at home. One of the best ways for you to experience the best of both worlds is to attend the Maldivian Night where you can see and hear the pristine side of the Maldives.
The Bodu Beru is a traditional music and dance that has survived modern influences, and is widely being played across the Maldives’ local islands and resorts by experienced drummers. READ MORE
In most resorts, non-motorized water sports are free and you can choose windsurf board, canoe, kayak and Stand‐Up Paddle Board throughout your stay. READ MORE
The capital of the Maldives, Malé is the throbbing, mercantile heart of the nation, a densely crowded and extraordinary place, known mainly for that which contrasts sharply with the laid-back way of life in other parts of the country.
Malé city is also pleasant and unusual - non-alcoholic bars and restaurants coexist with shops and lively markets, and the general hubbub of the capital largely determines its image. This city island gives a chance to truly feel in the Maldives, to assess how well the human machinery works, and also to meet with the Maldives on an equal footing. Read more
MALDIVES RESORT Packages, Offers & Promotions
- Centara Ras Fushi Resort: Save UP to 50%, book till 31 March 2021 - stay Now - 30 April 2022
- CROWN & CHAMPA Resorts: UP to 40% OFF. Book until Feb 28
- Dhigali Maldives: Dhigali Family Escape package - safe at least 48% !
- Heritance Aarah: book early till 28th Feb for Stay till 31st Oct - 40% OFF
- Anantara Resorts Maldives: Deals start from USD 464
- Constance Maldives: Up to 40% OFF
- Medhufushi Island: 5 Nights Stay with Seaplane Transfer for USD 925
- Kandima Packages: As low as US$ 1006 for 3 nights; Travel period to 10th May 2021
- Coco Collection: ISLAND ESCAPE Offer - Use the code “ISLANDESCAPE” to get up to 15% off;
- You & Me Maldives: Honeymoon Offer, Repeaters Discount
- Kihaa Maldives: up to 40% OFF Members Only
- Baros Maldives: BLISSFUL BAROS offer - Valid for stays to 22 December 2021.
- Cinnamon Velifushi Maldives: 55% Off All Rates Special Offer.
- Reethi Faru Resort: TWO BEDROOM SUITE FAMILY PACKAGE
Best Hotels in Maldives
Best for Budget Trip
Best Resorts in Maldives
Recent Posts 26.02.2021
- COVID-19 TRAVEL FAQ
- Air Travel post coronavirus (updated)
- Maldives Guesthouses Reopen after COVID-19 closure
- Hideaway Beach Resort and Lily Beach extend free PCR testing offer
- Vakkaru Maldives welcomes innovative Wellness specialist Domingos Folgado
- Experience the Maldives Best Vacations on board Luxury private yacht
- The St Regis Maldives Resort wins prestigious Forbes Honour
- Shilpa Shetty and Raj Kundra’s Vacay at Seaside Finolhu
- Most Romantic Luxury Vacation Deals in Maldives You Don't Want to Miss
- Dhigali Family Escape: The Maldives Island for All Ages
- Enjoy your Vacation in Paradise with this 10 Free Transfer offers
- Easter Holidays at Emerald Maldives
- Stay Safe and Healthy at Mirihi Island Resort
- Sustainability is Key factor to Success at Ellaidhoo Maldives
- Waldorf Astoria Maldives wins Forbes Travel Guide best Instagram award
- What's Hot at Kandima's Dining Scene
- Cocoon Maldives wins Booking.com Traveller Review Award
- Mindful Breathing: Learning the Art at Milaidhoo Island Maldives
- Neelam & Samir’s Family Vacay at Lily Beach
- Former Miss GB, Amy Willerton vacations at Kihaa Maldives
- Fushifaru Maldives triumphs 2021 Booking.com Traveller Review Award
- 10 Best Hotels in Maldives for Under $200 per Night
- 10 Experiences Every Traveler Should Have in the Maldives
- The Art of Yoga with Constance Hotels in the Maldives
- Maldives Manta Ray Hot spots
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
10 Romantic Dining Experiences
The Maldives is a breathtaking destination with it's paper-white sands, azure lagoons, and seclude island vibes. Dining and romance go hand in hand in the Maldives.The restaurants and destinationRead More
6 Underwater Restaurants
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Liveaboards
Liveaboards in Maldives is the best way to discover underwater world with many must-have tropical SCUBA experiences. Deserted, white sand islandsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelersRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More