Addu City and Fuvahmulah atoll have been declared as UNESCO biosphere reserves
Scuba Diving in The Maldives
30 Oct, 2020
Fuvahmulah atoll and Addu City have been declared as UNESCO biosphere reserves, making the southernmost atolls only the second designated biosphere reserve in the Maldives.
The declaration was made at the 32nd session of the UNESCO International Coordinating Council of the Man and the Biosphere Programme, which is taking online.
Before Wednesday’s declaration, the Maldives only had one UNESCO-designated biosphere reserve: Baa atoll.
One of the most famous islands in Maldives for its beauty and historical importance, Fuvahmulah is the second nearest atoll to the Equator and the first atoll in the Southern Hemisphere. Being a one-island atoll itself, Fuvahmulah has many distinctive features which make the island unique.
Nicknamed the Maldivian Galapagos, Fuvahmulah Atoll is crowned Asia’s hottest shark diving locations to dive with tiger sharks, hammerhead sharks, thresher sharks and more. Fuvahmulah’s relatively unknown dive scene, unique location, and isolation make it an ideal destination for exhilarating diving in the Maldives. The atoll’s famous tiger sharks can be seen every day, but its also home to hammerhead sharks, thresher sharks, silvertip sharks, oceanic manta rays, big schools of barracudas, yellowfin tuna, bonitos, sailfish, and even Mola mola and pilot whales.
Whilst the sharks are in no way aggressive, it is recommended to take experienced dive guides to ensure all necessary safety precautions are taken.
Two freshwater lakes in the island plus the many number of swamps and marshland areas in the island give habitat to different plant and animal species not to be found anywhere else in the Maldives.
Nature parks developed to promote eco-tourism has recently opened in Addu and Fuvahmulah. Visitor centres and boardwalks have been built in the lakes, offering tourists access to the aesthetic beauty of the wetlands and various plants previously hidden from view.
However, Fuvahmulah lacks proper facilities for tourism, except a domestic airport. Only a handful guesthouses provide accommodation to visitors.
The best suggested time to visit Fuvahmulah atoll to dive with sharks is from December to March. However, with the atoll’s proximity to the equator, the monsoons are less pronounced compared to further north in the Maldives and the weather is pretty stable all year round. The dry north-east monsoon usually runs from December to March with the wet south-west monsoon from May to November.
Despite several new resort developments and a boom in guesthouse tourism in the Maldives, Addu too has lagged behind for years in attracting tourism-related investments.
Up until recently, the relatively large atoll, which has unique geographical features compared to other parts of the island nation, was home to only two of the some 150 plus tourist resorts in the Maldives; Shangri-La’s Villingili Resort and Spa, and Canareef Resort Maldives.
South Palm Resort Maldives, a brand new property developed on the uninhabited island of Ismehela Hera, opened in 2019.
Recent Posts 10.03.2023
- Booking.com Launches Early 2023 Deals: 15% OFF
- Hard Rock Hotel Maldives launches 'Rock & Soul Month' – the Ultimate Wellness and Lifestyle experience
- Best of both worlds in Dubai with Anantara
- Experience Maldives by Art at Grand Park Kodhipparu
- A New Wellness Experience at Anantara Kihavah
- Crown & Champa Resorts: What's new? March 2023
- Raffles Maldives Meradhoo welcomes wellness practitioner Ranjith Saj
- Top hotel deals and offers to book for Eid Al-Fitr in the Maldives 2023
- From MasterChef delights to Easter celebration and other COCO news this month
- ELE|NA at OZEN RESERVE BOLIFUSHI wins World Luxury Spa Awards 2022
- The Nautilus Maldives launches the slumber ritual on World Sleep Day
- Where Kids Stay and Eat Free in the Maldives
- Deep Diving essentials
- COLOURS OF OBLU announces OBLU NATURE Helengeli renovation and rebranding
- LUX Tennis partners with Waldorf Astoria Maldives
- Avani+ Fares Maldives debuts on 1st April 2023 with Pre-Opening Special Offer
- Start Planning: Spring Break 2023 with COMO Hotels
- Constance Festival Culinaire 2023
- Savor the flavors of traditional Japanese cuisine at JW Marriott Maldives
- Latest News from Kandima, March 2023
- Top 5 Free-Spirited Experiences recommended by The Nautilus house masters
- Health events calendar at JOALI BEING for 2023
- Outrigger Maldives Maafushivaru Resort joins World’s Top 100 Elite Properties
- Huvafen Fushi Maldives resort to get revamped
- Explore the culinary wonders of Diamonds Athuruga Maldives
- These Countries Fly Direct to Malé (MLE)
- Maldives Most Booked Hotels
- 10 Maldives resorts to Add to Your 2023 Travel Bucket list
- Where to Spot an Indian Celebs in The Maldives
Best place to dive with sharks, Fuvahmulah is an island-atoll in the Maldives. Located on the equator between the two southern atolls of Addu and Huvadhu, Fuvahmulah is the unique and most beautiful island in the country - it is rock in the middle of open ocean. Unlike the two thousand islands of the Maldives archipelago, which are coral reefs, Fuhvamulah is of volcanic origin, which makes it more similar to the Indonesian islands of Bali or Gili. With lush tropical vegetation, mango landscapes, coconut palms, papaya plantations and various kinds of flowers, Fuwamulah is the only island in the Maldives with freshwater lakes. Read More.
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
10 Most Affordable Water Villas
While it may never be cheap to visit thу Maldives, fortunately there are still some chic and relatively affordable overwater villas you can stay. Read more
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More
Maldives Diving Guide
The life of these paradise islands below the Indian Ocean's level is the main draw attracting thousands of divers Read More