Housing Ministry of Maldives Announces Plan to Develop 6 Airports Worth USD 133 Million
22 December, 2021
Ministry of National Planning, Housing and Infrastructure has announced plans to seek financial assistance for the development of domestic airports worth USD 133 million (MVR 2 billion) under the ‘cross-subsidy’ model in six islands of the Maldives.
In January this year, the government announced the development of airports in four regions and opened opportunities for interested parties. The first islands to be opened for airport development are:
- B. Thulhaadhoo
- B. Bilathfahi
- Th. Vilifushi
- Haa Dhaalu Atoll. Makunudhoo
In addition to these islands, Planning Ministry has included an island from the south of Faafu Magoodhoo and Raa Atoll. However, an island has not yet been decided to build an airport in the south of Raa Atoll.
Cross subsidy project consists of spending and completing a government project in order to attain islands, lagoons, or land in the Maldives. These projects will force the government to give away more islands, lagoons, or lands to individuals.
The government has detailed cross-subsidy as an allowance or relief provided by the state to a person who has invested his or her own funds in a project carried out under an economic policy or social policy for the public benefit of the state. “The island, the land, or the land that is leased as a change.”
Planning Ministry has estimated that the largest expenditure will be incurred on Vilufushi Airport. The airport development project on the island is estimated to cost USD 33 million (MVR 508 million).
The planning announcement includes the estimated cost per airport.
- Haa Dhaalu Atoll. Makunudhoo – USD 23,300,000
- B. Bilehfahi – USD 23,600,000
- B. Thulhaadhoo – USD 21,900,000
- Th. Vilufushi – USD 33,300,000
- F. Magoodhoo – USD 8,200,000
- R. Atoll – USD 23,600,000
The Ministry stated that each airport is a separate project and if any party is expressing interest, they should specify which airport project they will be developing or financing. Additionally, if the interested party is only going to be financing the project, they should spend a minimum amount of USD 5 million.
Under the policy of submitting proposals to the government without invitations to bid, interested parties will be able to submit to the Economic Ministry via email: email@example.com.
Recent Posts 22.06.2022
- Covid-19: Now everyone can travel to the Maldives
- The Travel calendar for June in the Maldives
- ‘Great British Menu’ Finalist To Host Food Pop-Up in Amilla Maldives
- This Week in Cruise Recovery: A New Ship and Cruise Ship Gaming
- JOALI Being Maldives launches Family-friendly Summer programmes
- Adults Only Wellness Getaway That is All About Self-Care at Komandoo Maldives
- At Kuramathi Maldives, the first meal of the day comes with a swim
- Is an All-Inclusive Vacation Right for You? Get Up to 47% off at Kandima
- What makes OBLU Nature Helengeli unique Maldives resort?
- Latest News from Veligandu Island, June
- Feel — and Hear — the Love with a Romantic Revelations in Kandolhu Maldives
- SeaDream Unveils Cruises for 2024 Mediterranean Season
- Manta Trust: What's New, June 2022
- Komandoo Maldives wins Two prestigious 2022 TripAdvisor Travellers' Choice Awards
- COLOURS OF OBLU adds Only BLU to Maldives Underwater restaurants Lineup
- COMO Maalifushi launches Play by COMO Summer Camp for Kids
- Water World: A Deep Sea Odyssey with Vakkaru Maldives and Oliver Steeds OBE
- Coral Princess Arrives at New Homeport of Brisbane
- Crown & Champa Resorts: What's new? June, 2022
- Windstar Cruises Debuts Newly Renovated Star Pride
- Reethi Faru Maldives Resort: What's New
- Banana Island Doha by Anantara & Discover Qatar Launch Whale Shark Excursions
- Fairmont Maldives appoints Marshall Orton as New General Manager
- Maldives Restaurants: Guide to Dining at Anantara Resorts
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Maldives, the most dispersed country on the planet with 1,192 islands spread over roughly 90,000 square kilometres, already has 14 airports, including five international airports. Honeymoon islands with white sandy beaches and beautiful blue lagoons surrounded by turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean pleasing to the eye already on the airplane board before landing at one of the airports of the Maldives.
Over a million tourists from across the globe visit the Indian Ocean island nation every year to holiday in one of the 120 resorts and 300 plus guesthouses located in all corners of the country. The multi-billion dollar tourism industry, which is the country’s main economic activity, relies heavily on the domestic transport infrastructure, especially air travel. Read More
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More