Housing Ministry of Maldives Announces Plan to Develop 6 Airports Worth USD 133 Million
22 December, 2021
Ministry of National Planning, Housing and Infrastructure has announced plans to seek financial assistance for the development of domestic airports worth USD 133 million (MVR 2 billion) under the ‘cross-subsidy’ model in six islands of the Maldives.
In January this year, the government announced the development of airports in four regions and opened opportunities for interested parties. The first islands to be opened for airport development are:
- B. Thulhaadhoo
- B. Bilathfahi
- Th. Vilifushi
- Haa Dhaalu Atoll. Makunudhoo
In addition to these islands, Planning Ministry has included an island from the south of Faafu Magoodhoo and Raa Atoll. However, an island has not yet been decided to build an airport in the south of Raa Atoll.
Cross subsidy project consists of spending and completing a government project in order to attain islands, lagoons, or land in the Maldives. These projects will force the government to give away more islands, lagoons, or lands to individuals.
The government has detailed cross-subsidy as an allowance or relief provided by the state to a person who has invested his or her own funds in a project carried out under an economic policy or social policy for the public benefit of the state. “The island, the land, or the land that is leased as a change.”
Planning Ministry has estimated that the largest expenditure will be incurred on Vilufushi Airport. The airport development project on the island is estimated to cost USD 33 million (MVR 508 million).
The planning announcement includes the estimated cost per airport.
- Haa Dhaalu Atoll. Makunudhoo – USD 23,300,000
- B. Bilehfahi – USD 23,600,000
- B. Thulhaadhoo – USD 21,900,000
- Th. Vilufushi – USD 33,300,000
- F. Magoodhoo – USD 8,200,000
- R. Atoll – USD 23,600,000
The Ministry stated that each airport is a separate project and if any party is expressing interest, they should specify which airport project they will be developing or financing. Additionally, if the interested party is only going to be financing the project, they should spend a minimum amount of USD 5 million.
Under the policy of submitting proposals to the government without invitations to bid, interested parties will be able to submit to the Economic Ministry via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recent Posts 17.01.2022
- Covid-19: Now everyone can travel to the Maldives
- Reward and Recognition of Maldives Underwater Initiative at Six Senses Laamu
- Norwegian Cruise Line Introduces Norwegian Viva
- Manta Trust Newsletter, January 2022
- Island Luxury by Secret Paradise opens First Local Island Boutique Hotel
- Enjoy Extraordinary 40% Savings & Daily $1,000 Egift Givaway at Anantara Hotels
- Maldives Updates and Shortens Recommended Isolation and Covid-19 Quarantine
- Chill and Play at One of the Maldives’ most Exclusive resorts with 20% savings
- OZEN RESERVE BOLIFUSHI recognized Best Honeymoon and Family Destination
- You are invited! Book Early and Save up to 55% at Kandima Maldives
- Ready for Pampering? Here’s Where to Find Decadence in the Maldives
- Travel Insurance Can Now Be Purchased With Marriott While Booking a Reservation
- The Year to explore the Maldives with Crown & Champa Resorts collection
- From Whale Sharks to Surf, Discover the Natural Side of COMO Maalifushi
- Enjoy up to 25% off to celebrate Qatar Airways' 25th anniversary
- Takes your Tennis game to the next Level at Sun Siyam Iru Fushi
- Traveling With Kids in Maldives? Take advantage of LUXURY FAMILY VILLA OFFER at Anantara Dhigu Resort: Children stay and dine free
- MSC Cruises Unveils 2022 "Cruise With Confidence" Program
- Latest News from Mirihi Island, January
- 10 Maldives Islands That Should Be at the Top of Your List
- Review Year 2021: B-Town divas who set the Internet on Fire with their Bikini Photos
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Maldives, the most dispersed country on the planet with 1,192 islands spread over roughly 90,000 square kilometres, already has 14 airports, including five international airports. Honeymoon islands with white sandy beaches and beautiful blue lagoons surrounded by turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean pleasing to the eye already on the airplane board before landing at one of the airports of the Maldives.
Over a million tourists from across the globe visit the Indian Ocean island nation every year to holiday in one of the 120 resorts and 300 plus guesthouses located in all corners of the country. The multi-billion dollar tourism industry, which is the country’s main economic activity, relies heavily on the domestic transport infrastructure, especially air travel. Read More
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More