As Maldives’ tourism celebrates 50 years Corbyn says: Maldives sees ‘phenomenal’ progress
Maldives Luxury Guide
16 February, 2022
George Corbyn, an Italian tour operator who had been instrumental in introducing tourism to the Maldives 50 years ago, said on Tuesday that the development of the industry has been phenomenal.
The first tourists to arrive in the Maldives were a group of 22 Italian journalists who arrived in February 1972 under the supervision of Corbyn. Corbyn had previously said in an interview with a foreign newspaper that the group had arrived in the Maldives on February 16.
On Tuesday, Corbyn returned to the Maldives on the invitation of the Ministry of Tourism to participate in some of the activities being held to mark the 50th anniversary of the Maldivian tourism industry.
Speaking to reporters at the airport, Corbyn said the Maldives has made significant progress in the past 50 years.
“It’s hard to believe what these islands have done in 50 years,” he said.
“Maldivians are very good. It is also part of the beauty of the Maldives.”
This is the third time Corbyn has visited the Maldives since he left the country. He will be in the Maldives for six days during which he will stay at:
- Maagiri Hotel: The location of the house where some of the first tourists that Corbyn brought to the Maldives stayed at
- Kurumba Maldives: The first resort developed and opened in Maldives
- An unidentified resort in Noonu atoll
- Kuda Villingi Maldives Resort
Corbyn said he would meet with various tourism related organisations to see what more can be done for the industry.
“We want to expand tourism to the US market. It’s a huge market,” said Corbyn, who now lives in the United States.
“Now the US market is frequented by honeymooners. But the Maldives is a place where there are more than that. For example, watersports, diving and fishing.”
In addition, Corbyn will:
- attend the ceremony held at Manhattan Business Hotel on Wednesday to launch a stamp set to mark the 50th anniversary of Maldivian tourism
- attend a talk show at the auditorium of the Maldives National University on Thursday regarding the history of the Maldivian tourism industry
Everything in the Maldives is special for Corbyn
Having retired, Corbyn now consults with travellers and travel planning facilities. His consultancy is based on his nearly 60 years of experience traveling.
When asked what was the most unique aspect of Maldivian tourism, Corbyn said each and every aspect of the Maldives was special.
“Atolls, beaches, sand, underwater world; everything is different, it’s beautiful,” he said.
Recent Posts 24.05.2022
- Covid-19: Now everyone can travel to the Maldives
- The Travel calendar for May in the Maldives
- KUDADOO wins 2022 Tripadvisor Travellers' Choice Award
- Sea Turtle Conservation at Kuredu Maldives
- LUX* South Ari Atoll awarded South Asia’s most sustainable wedding resort
- Art-to-Table dining? Unique Experiences to Try at Joali Maldives
- Best of the Best winners named: Lily Beach
- Truly Luxurious Island for Every Type of Escape at Huvafen Fushi
- The Easy Way to Stay this Summer: Dhigali Indulgence
- Patina Maldives resort celebrates Its First Birthday
- Accor unveils a range of New Wellness Activities in Maldives this Year
- Maldivian launches Special Fares to Malaysia for Eid Holidays
- Emerald Maldives named Best All Inclusive resort in Asia 2022
- Ready For a Tennis Binge? Amilla Maldives welcomes ATP World Number Two
- Win a five-night luxury stay for two in RIU Maldives resort
- The luxurious Quest becomes latest Seabourn ship to return to service
- Crown & Champa Resorts: What's new? May, 2022
- Dhigali Maldives resort wins 2022 Tripadvisors Travellers Choice Award
- Alila Kothaifaru Maldives resort Debuts in scenic Raa Atoll
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Maldives Luxury Guide
Over a million tourists visit these islands every year for once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Now it's your turn to experience Maldives, the gem of the Indian ocean to discover plenty of hidden treasures. You can experience different experiences of luxury in Maldives best resorts, mingling with celebs in your best beachwear, dining in style, and falling in love with the underwater world. For those seeking romance, the Maldives offers enviably luxurious private accommodation and indulgent spas. Maldives makes the best holiday experiences year after year after year. Read More
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More