World Manta Day event in London and other manta news this month
Scuba Diving in The Maldives
20 July, 2022
WORLD MANTA DAY: AN EVENING WITH DOUG ALLAN
Join us this World Manta Day on September 17th at the Royal Geographical Society in London for 'World Manta Day: An evening with Doug Allan'. Doug is a multi Emmy and BAFTA award-winning wildlife cameraman and long-time patron of the Manta Trust. He will be giving a talk about his many adventures behind the camera while he films wildlife all over the world and specifically his experience filming manta rays.
Venue: Royal Geographical Society, London
Date: September 17th 2022
Time: 19:30 - 21:00
MANTA WATCH NZ WEBSITE LAUNCH
Our friends at Manta Watch New Zealand, have just launched an amazing new website, with tons of useful information, including educational resources, scientific research, information about the project and a place to submit your manta sightings.
If you are interested in finding out more about the work they do, or how you can support them, check out the brand new website!
UNPROTECTED RAYS IN SRI LANKA
Sri Lanka is one of the largest mobula fisheries in the world and is catching species at a faster rate than they can reproduce. In addition, the average sizes of most mobulids landed are shrinking which is an indication that populations are overfished and collapsing.
Read the full story here.
WORLD OCEANS DAY EVENT
We had a great time at last week's World Oceans Day event at the National Maritime Museum in London. Thank you to everyone who came to Jen's talk, and who visited our stand to chat manta and devil rays. We had a great day discussing marine conservation issues and training lots of junior scientists in manta IDing!
OCEAN OPPORTUNITIES FUNDING
We are excited to announce that our project - Empowering Women through Ocean Opportunities - is one of nine to win the Luc Hoffmann Institute, Impact Hub and IUCN CEESP's Future of Conservation NGOs Innovation Challenge. The team members, Flossy, Maeesha and Alun, won €5000 for the project and to take part in a co-learning programme with these organisations, which will help to drive the project forward. The project was selected for its ability to reimagine the conservation space to create a just and equitable future. Congratulations team!
World Manta Day Competition
This World Manta Day, we want your help designing some new Manta Trust merchandise. Get your art supplies ready and your creativity flowing! Designs should be focused on mantas and devil rays and can include an aspect of World Manta Day but they don’t have to. Please think about how the design will look on a garment.
The selected winner, chosen by the Manta Trust core team, will have their credited design added to t-shirts, hoodies and tote bags which will raise money for manta ray conservation worldwide. The Manta Trust will have the right to use the art in future media and fundraising uses. The winner will also receive two tickets to our ‘World Manta Day: An Evening with Doug Allan’ event in London on September 17th (travel and accommodation not provided and no cash alternative).
Submit your designs digitally as a high-resolution photo or scan by August 31st to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the Cyclone!
Last month a few of the Manta Trust team were invited to Cameroon to work alongside the African Marine Mammal Conservation Organization - AMMCO. We were particularly interested in landings of mobula rays in the fish markets but during the trip, we also learnt about the state of shark and ray fisheries in Cameroon, surveyed numerous fish markets and trained the AMMCO team in data collection methodologies and shark and ray dissections. We were then invited to give some talks and run a dissection workshop during the science component of the Steet Whale event in Kribi.
The stories we heard, and the conservationists we met who are working hard to protect Cameroon’s rich biodiversity were inspiring. Knowledge and data about sharks and rays along the west African coast is growing but it is a race against time to understand these species before they disappear forever.
Join The Cyclone to watch the full video in this month’s update.Join the Cyclone
Recent Posts 05.08.2022
- Covid-19: Now everyone can travel to the Maldives
- Deal of the Day: EXCLUSIVE WEB OFFER at Hard Rock Hotel Maldives
- The Nautilus Maldives adds Exclusive French flavour to Its Spa experience
- Latest News from Amilla, July
- The Maldives Art scene: Huvafen Fushi
- 2022 Summer-Fall Getaways in the Maldives
- Wheelchair Tennis Star To Attend Launch of Adaptive Tennis at Amilla Maldives
- Survey: 91.4% Travelers Ready to Cruise This Year
- Green Globe awards First Certification to Cora Cora Maldives
- Latest News from Kandima, August
- The More You Know: Discover New Chapter of Milaidhoo Stories
- Vacationing with Friends? Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa Unveils the Over-water Residence
- Ideas for your next break: Use 40% Off- Super Saver deal in Kandolhu
- Total Well-Being awaits at THE OZEN COLLECTION
- Best 2022 Last Minute Hotels in Maldives
- Tranquil luxury Maldives stay with Free transfers & Spa perks at Cinnamon resorts
- Now Is Shark Week: Where to dive with sharks in real life
- Late-Night Must-Do’s at Milaidhoo: Astro Retreat
- Sea Life and Snorkeling: Komandoo Maldives resort
- Inspiration for a Tropical Winter Escape: Save 20% with Hurawalhi
- Summer Perks to brighten Up Your Maldives Vacation at Grand Park Kodhipparu
- Latest News from Meeru Island, July
- For Foodies: One Good Reason to Visit Le Meridien Maldives Right Now
- Cruise around the world with Silversea
- Latest News from Veligandu Island, July
- Marine Conservation at Outrigger Maafushivaru Maldives resort
- Virgin Voyages to Remove Pre-Embarkation Testing for COVID
- Top 5 Dive Sites for Thrill Seekers in Lhaviyani Atoll
- The Maldives Rising: Newly Renovated Resorts
- New 7 Reasons to Make Kandima Your Family's Happy Place
- Centara Ras Fushi resort appoints Mikael O’Brien as Executive Chef
- Oaga Art Resort announces Exclusive 7-h Audition Day
- Baros Expands Culinary Innovation in 2022
- Planhotel Group announces a New Key Appointments
- Where to Spot an Indian Celebs in The Maldives
Scuba Diving in the Maldives
Scuba diving in the Maldives means diving at one of the worlds best scuba diving destinations, because of the white sand beaches, coral reefs, clear warm waters, dive sites and a thriving and vibrant marine life. Explore excellent dive sites and a collection of underwater gardens. They're abundant with extensive coral reefs and magnificent fish life. It's common to see sharks, turtles, manta rays, whale sharks and a kaleidoscopic range of tropical sea creatures. Read More
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More