Outrigger Group Wins PATA Gold Award for its 'OZONE' Conservation Initiative
Best Eco-Friendly Resorts in the Maldives
10 Oct, 2020
Outrigger Hospitality Group, the premier beach brand in the world, including Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort earned the prestigious 2020 Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Gold Award in the Climate Change category for its OZONE platform – a global conservation initiative supporting coral health and resiliency, with special focus on the waters that surround the iconic beach destinations of Outrigger Resorts around the world. The winners were announced on September 24, 2020 during the virtual PATA Gold Awards presentation.
With more than 60 percent of the world’s coral reefs under immediate threat due to climate change, land pollution and unsustainable fishing, OZONE invites Outrigger guests to be part of the solution.
“Outrigger’s link to the ocean is unbreakable and the brand sees its stewardship as a responsibility that is inextricably tied to its success,” said Monica Salter, vice president of corporate communications. “Our OZONE conservation initiative provides enriching experiences for guests, hosts and local communities; we are honoured to receive this PATA award for our efforts and inspired to continue doing our part to protect the world’s oceans and help this essential ecosystem thrive for generations to come.”
As part of the OZONE launch in 2014, Outrigger set a goal of planting and growing a football-field worth of coral at participating resorts over the next decade. Just five years into the programme, Outrigger has aided in the planting, monitoring and protection of more than 100 football fields’ worth of coral, which has led to an increase in marine life surrounding the coral planted by Outrigger.
The quick success Outrigger saw with its OZONE initiative was in part due to specifically tailored conservation and sustainability programmes in each region the premier beachfront resort brand operates in, such as coral planting in Fiji, snorkelling with a resident marine biologist in Maldives, beach cleanups in Hawaii, visiting a marine rehabilitation centre in Thailand, among other educational opportunities offered to Outrigger guests year-round.
In addition to the immersive activities and educational opportunities, Outrigger was the first Hawaii hospitality group to champion the use of reef-safe sunscreen, well in advance of it being recommended as law starting in 2021. It has given away thousands of reef-safe sunscreen samples, partnering with well-known brands All Good and Absolutely Natural – as well as including information on this in the in-room video.
The focus of OZONE has expanded to include energy conservation, recycling and the reduction of single-use plastics at its properties worldwide. For example, in Thailand, Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort has not only eliminated single-use plastics, but uses a reverse osmosis water plant to purify and bottle its own drinking water.
Such milestones, and the prestigious PATA Award, would not have been possible without Outrigger’s dedicated hosts, passionate guests and like-minded partners such as Mamanuca Society, Waikiki Aquarium, Sustainable Coastlines Hawaii, Phuket Marine Biological Centre, Best Dives Maldives, Reef Conservation, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and many more.
The annual awards held by PATA, which was founded in Hawaii in 1951, honour responsible travel and tourism brands that raise the bar of innovation and excellence. Open to both PATA and non-PATA members, this year there were 121 entries from 62 travel organisations across the Pacific Asia region.
Recent Posts 15.05.2022
- Covid-19: Now everyone can travel to the Maldives
- The Travel calendar for May in the Maldives
- Discover an Oasis of Health and Wellness at Finolhu Baa Atoll Maldives
- How to Travel green in LUX* South Ari Atoll
- Princess Cruises introduces All-inclusive premier package
- Heritance Aarah Is among World's Top All-Inclusive Resorts
- Say, “Cheers!” to The Platinum Jubilee Weekend at Finolhu Baa Atoll Maldives
- Blue Force expands its Liveaboards Fleet in the Maldive
- OBLU XPERIENCE Ailafushi opens 19th May With Exclusive Private offer
- Latest News from Meeru Island, May
- Euro-Divers Opens Its Doors to Guests at Alila Kothaifaru Maldive
- Soneva Jani welcomes to a Culinary Journey with Lee Westcott
- New AQV Expedition Ship, Ocean Victory, Sets Sail in Alaska
- Dusit Thani Maldives Partners with Local Brand Ogaa
- Alila Kothaifaru Maldives resort Announces Key Appointments
- Three Additional Princess Cruises Ships Return to Service
- Kuredu & Komandoo listed among the 10 Best Dive Resorts in the Maldives
- HAL Adds New Cruises to Australia, New Zealand and Southeast Asia
- Scuba Schools International launches New Diving App
- Amilla Resort recognized as Sustainable Travel Standard in the Maldives
- What's Hot in The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort, May
- Kudadoo Maldives awarded Prestigious Forbes 5-star Rating
- Sip Your Way into Wine Culture at Kuredu Maldives
- AirAsia returns to the Maldives
- Hotel-to-Table: Dine Sustainably at Gili with New Menu and Chef’s Table
- JUST VEG Celebration is Back at Atmosphere Kanifushi
- Latest News from Kandima, May
- Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi Honors First Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Award
- Can't-miss deal of the week: 30% Off Special Offer in Filitheyo Island
- OZEN LIFE MAADHOO opens LONU: New age Maldivian concept
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort
Best Experience: couples, Family, house reef snorkeling, Diving
Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort, set in the unspoiled Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll is 340 kilometres to the south of capital Male, offers luxurious accommodation, superb dining options and friendly staff in picturesque surroundings. Accessible via a 55-minute domestic flight from Malé, Outrigger Konotta offers a sense of complete privacy and remote luxury and features spacious stunning beach and overwater villas, all with private pools. Even entry-level villas are enormous, while outside your room, there's fantastic diving and house reef snorkeling, an impressive spa and a great kids' club. This resort provides you with the luxuries no Indian Ocean holiday should be without. Read Full Review...
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More