Qatar Airways Joins IATA Turbulence Aware: What You Need To Know
9 July, 2021
Qatar Airways and the IATA announced that Qatar Airways will become the first airline in the Middle East to join the IATA Turbulence Aware platform.
IATA’s Turbulence Aware helps airlines mitigate the impact of turbulence, a leading cause of passenger and crew injuries and higher fuel costs each year, by pooling and sharing anonymised turbulence data from multiple participating airlines and thousands of daily flights. The real-time, accurate information enables pilots and dispatchers to choose optimal flight paths, avoiding turbulence and flying at optimum levels to maximise fuel efficiency and thereby reduce CO2 emissions.
Qatar Airways was the first Middle Eastern airline to participate in the Turbulence Aware initiative when it was launched as a pilot project in December 2018. Turbulence Aware has since expanded into a fully operational platform with over 1500 reporting aircraft sharing real-time turbulence data. With today’s announcement Qatar Airways has equipped 120 aircraft with the Turbulence Aware platform, with plans to expand to the rest of its fleet.
Qatar Airways Group Chief Executive, His Excellency Mr. Akbar Al Baker, said: “With safety and environmental sustainability as our top priority, we show our commitment towards responsible flying. We continue to innovate as one of the World’s Leading Airlines by adopting this new solution that combines technology and big data for more efficient flight planning not only to ensure a smooth journey, but also to reduce fuel burn, in turn lowering our carbon emissions. To make flying safer and more sustainable, the airline industry must leverage such digital innovations, and work together to share turbulence data for more precise forecasting.”
Willie Walsh, IATA’s Director General, said, “We welcome this major commitment from Qatar Airways in becoming the first Middle East airline to join the Turbulence Aware program. This will significantly increase the coverage area for this important safety and operational initiative, providing real-time turbulence information not only to Qatar Airways aircrew, but to all the other participating airlines. Qatar Airways has a long history of working with IATA and supporting us on multiple industry initiatives.”
The challenge of managing turbulence is expected to grow as climate change continues to impact weather patterns. This has implications for both safety and efficiency of flight. Turbulence Aware is a significant improvement in turbulence reporting and avoiding excess fuel consumption.
Qatar Airways also see this as a contributor to helping the aviation industry tackle its carbon targets, alongside other initiatives like carbon offsetting, eco-friendly jet fuel, electric planes and general awareness about the impact of flying.
As travellers return to the skies with Qatar Airways, they can take comfort knowing that they are travelling with the airline that not only provides the highest possible level of health and safety standards that safeguard the wellbeing of its passengers both on the ground and in the air, but also ensure the most efficient and comfortable journey in the air.
Qatar Airways is the first airline in the Middle East to begin trials of the innovative new IATA Travel Pass ‘Digital Passport’ mobile app. IATA Travel Pass ensures passengers receive up-to-date information on COVID-19 health regulations at their destination country, as well as complying with strict global data privacy regulations to enable the sharing of COVID-19 test results with airlines to verify they are eligible to undertake their journey.
A multiple award-winning airline, Qatar Airways was named ‘World’s Best Airline’ by the 2019 World Airline Awards, managed by the international air transport rating organisation Skytrax. It was also named ‘Best Airline in the Middle East’, ‘World’s Best Business Class’, and ‘Best Business Class Seat’, in recognition of its ground-breaking Business Class experience, Qsuite. Qsuite is available on flights to more than 45 destinations including Johannesburg, Frankfurt, New York and Singapore.
Qatar Airways is the only airline to have been awarded the coveted ‘Skytrax Airline of the Year’ title, which is recognised as the pinnacle of excellence in the airline industry, five times. In addition to this, Qatar Airways home and hub, Hamad International Airport (HIA) was ranked the ‘Best Airport in the Middle East’ for the sixth consecutive year and ‘Third Best Airport in the World’ by the SKYTRAX World Airport Awards 2020.
Recent Posts 03.02.2023
- Booking.com Launches Early 2023 Deals: 15% OFF
- Best pick for when you’re planning Maldives Family Adventure: Anantara Kihavah
- Stories: COMO Hotels and Resorts, February 2023
- From Romantic escape to Wellbeing experiences and other COCO news this month
- Jumeirah Maldives unveils love in bloom Valentine’s Day experiences
- Paradise Island resort celebrates Green Key award
- Latest News from Kandima, February 2023
- This Is Your Joyful Maldivian Adventure – 20% OFF at VARU by Atmosphere
- Anantara Hotels expand Europe Portfolio with the opening of Anantara Plaza Nice Hotel
- OBLU SELECT Lobigili' beaches is Your ideal castaway in Paradise
- Latest News from Kuramathi Maldives resort, January 2023
- Things to Do on Valentine's Day at Alila Kothaifaru Maldives resort
- CROSSROADS Maldives launches Free Transfers from Male, Hulhumale
- Mastercard announces launch of its Priceless programme in Maldives
- Angsana' Maldives resort relaunches as Dhawa Ihuru
- Sustainability technology at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
- Discover the taste of Bangkok’s Haoma at W Maldives this February
- Rooftop dining experience with the new menu at Maagiri Hotel’ Peak restaurant
- Explore + Relax: A great way to unwind at Dhigali Maldives
- Green side of Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon
- Why sustainability is key of success at The Nautilus Maldives
- It's Time for New journey: Discover Your Dream Vacation with Dusit Thani Maldives
- Sri Lanka Bucket List: Best Things to Do with Anantara Hotels
- The Ritz-Carlton Maldives hosts Michelin star events this February
- Where to Feel the Love: VALENTINE’S AT OZEN
- Valentine's celebrations: Festival of romance at Hurawalhi Maldives
- Amilla Maldives resort unveils Intimate Self-Service Wedding Venue
- Find Winter Sun with Atmosphere Hotels & Resorts
- Where to Spot an Indian Celebs in The Maldives
Airports of The Maldives
Maldives, the most dispersed country on the planet with 1,192 islands spread over roughly 90,000 square kilometres, already has 13 airports, including four international airports. Honeymoon islands with white sandy beaches and beautiful blue lagoons surrounded by turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean pleasing to the eye already on the airplane board before landing at one of the airports of the Maldives.
Over a million tourists from across the globe visit the Indian Ocean island nation every year to holiday in one of the 120 resorts and 300 plus guesthouses located in all corners of the country. The multi-billion dollar tourism industry, which is the country’s main economic activity, relies heavily on the domestic transport infrastructure, especially air travel. Read More.
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More