Six Senses Laamu Launches Junior Marine Biology Program Online
Best Family Resorts in The Maldives
12 April, 2020
Six Senses Laamu is launching a new type of home school program where turtles are teachers and colorful fish can be made out of egg cartons and bottle tops! Starting from April, the resort is taking their program online with #AtHomeWithSixSenses Junior Marine Biology Program.
The #AtHomeWithSixSenses Junior Marine Biology Program is a fun 10-week course for budding conservationists, inspired by the initiative that usually runs at Six Senses Laamu. Each week, the resort’s marine biologists on the island will host short videos and demonstrate activities that students can then try at home. The course is open to everyone and there will be content available and suitable for all ages.
“Don’t worry if you’re quarantined in a city apartment without views of dolphins from your balcony: all activities take into account the restrictions we have at home during this time. All you will need is enthusiasm and a little creativity to upcycle and rediscover a few unwanted items lying around at home to achieve an A Grade.”
Students will be encouraged to share their “homework” by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and on social media using the #AtHomeWithSixSenses #GrowWithSixSenses #SixSensesLaamu hashtags. These masterpieces by the students will also be published on Six Senses media channels and highlighted in the weekly videos.
Over the next 10 weeks, students can learn about manta rays, corals, turtles and reef fish. Students can explore seagrass and mangroves and how they are vital habitats for a diversity of marine life. Broader topics cover science research, sustainability and how to share passion for science.
Although the structure, by necessity, is slightly different to what children might enjoy on vacation in the Maldives, the objective is the same. It aims to help foster an understanding of marine biology and see first-hand the importance of conserving oceans.
Six Senses Laamu further added that they will also be sharing ways for people to get involved in various conservation initiatives because every action, no matter how small, can have a positive impact.
The resort announced in a statement, “We are expecting some very special events over the next few weeks on the island, including turtle hatching in May, which we will do our best to bring to you.”
The Junior Marine Biology program, which launched a year ago, was initially inspired by a young guest at Six Senses Laamu. Unable to join his parents on dive trips, he ventured out with one of the resort’s marine biologists on a shallow-water snorkel. His curiosity inspired the team to create the program for all like-minded marine enthusiasts. Sessions are led by one of 10 biologists, each of whom specializes in different aspects of marine science and science communication as part of their work with the Maldives Underwater Initiative (MUI). Over the past year, Six Senses Laamu has run hundreds of hours of private sessions and certified dozens of junior marine biologists.
MUI is an initiative by Six Senses Laamu in partnership with three NGOs: Blue Marine Foundation, the Manta Trust and the Olive Ridley Project. The mission is to lead the tourism industry in the Maldives by undertaking meaningful marine conservation focused around the three pillars of research, education and community. One of the team’s many pioneering projects includes an underwater contactless ultrasound scanner for Laamu’s resident population of pregnant manta rays in order to study gestation and embryonic development and guide conservation strategies. MUI was also recently honored with the ‘Best for Wildlife and Nature Conservation’ Award for its #ProtectMaldivesSeagrass campaign at the World Travel Market’s Responsible Tourism Awards.
Recent Posts 03.02.2023
- Booking.com Launches Early 2023 Deals: 15% OFF
- Best pick for when you’re planning Maldives Family Adventure: Anantara Kihavah
- Stories: COMO Hotels and Resorts, February 2023
- From Romantic escape to Wellbeing experiences and other COCO news this month
- Jumeirah Maldives unveils love in bloom Valentine’s Day experiences
- Paradise Island resort celebrates Green Key award
- Latest News from Kandima, February 2023
- This Is Your Joyful Maldivian Adventure – 20% OFF at VARU by Atmosphere
- Anantara Hotels expand Europe Portfolio with the opening of Anantara Plaza Nice Hotel
- OBLU SELECT Lobigili' beaches is Your ideal castaway in Paradise
- Latest News from Kuramathi Maldives resort, January 2023
- Things to Do on Valentine's Day at Alila Kothaifaru Maldives resort
- CROSSROADS Maldives launches Free Transfers from Male, Hulhumale
- Mastercard announces launch of its Priceless programme in Maldives
- Angsana' Maldives resort relaunches as Dhawa Ihuru
- Sustainability technology at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
- Discover the taste of Bangkok’s Haoma at W Maldives this February
- Rooftop dining experience with the new menu at Maagiri Hotel’ Peak restaurant
- Explore + Relax: A great way to unwind at Dhigali Maldives
- Green side of Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon
- Why sustainability is key of success at The Nautilus Maldives
- It's Time for New journey: Discover Your Dream Vacation with Dusit Thani Maldives
- Sri Lanka Bucket List: Best Things to Do with Anantara Hotels
- The Ritz-Carlton Maldives hosts Michelin star events this February
- Where to Feel the Love: VALENTINE’S AT OZEN
- Valentine's celebrations: Festival of romance at Hurawalhi Maldives
- Amilla Maldives resort unveils Intimate Self-Service Wedding Venue
- Find Winter Sun with Atmosphere Hotels & Resorts
- Where to Spot an Indian Celebs in The Maldives
Six Senses Laamu
Best Experience: Couples, Families, Water Villas, Spa, Luxury Surfing, Diving, Activity
Six Senses Laamu is the only resort located in the Laamu atoll, which lies in the southern part of the Maldives. Surrounded by the Indian Ocean, the resort prides itself on its commitment to sustainable operations and development as outlined by Agenda 21 and Green Globe Benchmarking.
At Six Senses Laamu, most of the villas and facilities are built overwater. However, beach villas and on-land dining is an option. All villas offer a sense of privacy and seclusion, with an amazing view to the Ocean and Maldivian nature.
Six Senses Laamu offers a wide range of dining options, with cuisines from around the world, a swimming pool with a sunken bar, an ice cream parlour, an overwater wine cellar and a signature Chill bar. Many activities, excursions and options are available for everyone to enjoy, both overwater and underwater, in addition to the Six Senses Spa. Read Full Review...
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More