Maldives named world’s most Instagrammed tourist location
Most Amazing Places for Travel Photo in Maldives
1 March, 2021
The most Instagrammed tourist locations in the world have been revealed – with Maldives taking the top spot on the platform with 8.8 million hashtags and images uploaded – more than any other tourist destination or attraction around the globe.
According to an analysis by mybaggage.com, The Maldives is the most instagrammed tourist destination right now, with the Eiffel Tower and Times Square close behind.
With more than 95 million photos uploaded on Instagram daily, the new research looked at the overall number of hashtags for tourist attractions.
The Maldives currently boasts 8.8 million hashtags and images uploaded to the photo-sharing website – more than any other tourist destination or attraction around the globe.
France’s Eiffel Tower scooped second place, with 6.5 million photos shared on Instagram with the attraction’s hashtag, followed by Times Square in New York with 4.4million images.
With limited options available for holidaying amid the Covid-19 pandemic, the Maldives has become the destination of choice for many, including influencers.
While many holidaymakers decided to go on a staycation within the country, the Instagram profiles of many celebrities were filled with photos from their vacation in the Maldives, putting the island nation in the spotlight.
“The Covid pandemic has brought about a new appreciation for travel,” Paul Stewart, Managing Director of My Baggage, said.
“With various worldwide lockdowns bringing a halt to many holidays for Brits, a strong feeling of wanderlust is creeping in, with many of us eager to pack our bags and head to the next bucket-list destination.”
Closer to the UK, in a list of 20 must-visit tourist attractions, London offers some Instagrammable tourist hotspots. With Big Ben in sixth place with 3 million hashtags, followed by Tower Bridge in ninth place with 2.4 million and then Hyde Park in tenth place with 2.2 million hashtags.
And the USA boasts the highest number of attractions from one country with Times Square, The Grand Canyon, Brooklyn Bridge, The Empire State Building, and The Statue of Liberty all featuring in the list.
“Naturally, with Instagram becoming the new photo album for travellers, many draw travel inspiration from this social platform, such as the Eiffel Tower in France. While many of us wish we could visit France, we find ourselves in lockdown inside our homes. While inside, we are using our phones more, and social media and digital usage has increased in the past year. 2020 has truly been a digital year as accessibility has improved and our desired holiday destination is just a click away,” Steward added.
“This got the team at My Baggage thinking, what are the most Insta-worthy destinations in the world right now? So, we researched the total hashtags of the top 20 tourist hotspots in the world.”
Recent Posts 15.05.2022
- Covid-19: Now everyone can travel to the Maldives
- The Travel calendar for May in the Maldives
- Discover an Oasis of Health and Wellness at Finolhu Baa Atoll Maldives
- How to Travel green in LUX* South Ari Atoll
- Princess Cruises introduces All-inclusive premier package
- Heritance Aarah Is among World's Top All-Inclusive Resorts
- Say, “Cheers!” to The Platinum Jubilee Weekend at Finolhu Baa Atoll Maldives
- Blue Force expands its Liveaboards Fleet in the Maldive
- OBLU XPERIENCE Ailafushi opens 19th May With Exclusive Private offer
- Latest News from Meeru Island, May
- Euro-Divers Opens Its Doors to Guests at Alila Kothaifaru Maldive
- Soneva Jani welcomes to a Culinary Journey with Lee Westcott
- New AQV Expedition Ship, Ocean Victory, Sets Sail in Alaska
- Dusit Thani Maldives Partners with Local Brand Ogaa
- Alila Kothaifaru Maldives resort Announces Key Appointments
- Three Additional Princess Cruises Ships Return to Service
- Kuredu & Komandoo listed among the 10 Best Dive Resorts in the Maldives
- HAL Adds New Cruises to Australia, New Zealand and Southeast Asia
- Scuba Schools International launches New Diving App
- Amilla Resort recognized as Sustainable Travel Standard in the Maldives
- What's Hot in The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort, May
- Kudadoo Maldives awarded Prestigious Forbes 5-star Rating
- Sip Your Way into Wine Culture at Kuredu Maldives
- AirAsia returns to the Maldives
- Hotel-to-Table: Dine Sustainably at Gili with New Menu and Chef’s Table
- JUST VEG Celebration is Back at Atmosphere Kanifushi
- Latest News from Kandima, May
- Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi Honors First Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Award
- Can't-miss deal of the week: 30% Off Special Offer in Filitheyo Island
- OZEN LIFE MAADHOO opens LONU: New age Maldivian concept
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Maldives Luxury Guide
Over a million tourists visit these islands every year for once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Now it's your turn to experience Maldives, the gem of the Indian ocean to discover plenty of hidden treasures. You can experience different experiences of luxury in Maldives best resorts, mingling with celebs in your best beachwear, dining in style, and falling in love with the underwater world. For those seeking romance, the Maldives offers enviably luxurious private accommodation and indulgent spas. Maldives makes the best holiday experiences year after year after year. Read More
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More