Wheelchair Tennis Star To Attend Launch of Adaptive Tennis at Amilla Maldives
Best Luxury Hotels in the Maldives
03 August, 2022
Lawyer turned wheelchair tennis champ, Cisco Garcia, will visit world’s first certified accessible resort, Amilla Maldives.
Professional tennis player, Cisco Garcia, is coming to the Maldives to show resort guests that being in a wheelchair shouldn’t be a barrier to getting out on the courts - or indeed to achieving anything.
Cisco, a former lawyer who sustained an injury to his spinal cord while snowboarding in 2015, went on to become a wheelchair tennis star, Paralympian and author of the autobiographical book, ‘Unbreakable. The art of always getting up once more’. He is a charismatic disability advocate and so far has had a career-high ranking of 43 in the ITF wheelchair singles. Cisco will be visiting Amilla Maldives Resort and Residences from September 26th to October 3rd, which will coincide with the launch of a wheelchair tennis programme for Amilla’s guests.
Cisco commented "I have a phrase that has stuck with me since getting injured, which is GIVE US WALLS SO WE CAN BRING THEM DOWN. Even the most unlikely of things is possible once they are accomplished, and what Amilla Maldives Resort and Residences has done shows that. Simply imagining an adapted resort in a place as wild as the Maldives seems unlikely, and to carry it out seems impossible. Amilla Maldives Resort and Residences have made this possible and will allow travelers from all over the world to enjoy an incredible place".
The five-star resort, Amilla Maldives, is set to become the world’s first certified accessible resort for disabled travellers, many of whom previously saw remote destinations like the Maldives as off-limits. Amilla has undergone an audit by Inclucare to make it accessible to those with mobility, sensory or cognitive requirements. British TV presenter and award-winning disability advocate, Sophie Morgan, launched the initiative at Amilla in July.
Amilla’s Activities Manager, Arthur Libaud, who was formerly Amilla’s in-house tennis pro, is developing the wheelchair tennis programme. He will also be leading the coaching, having previously spent lots of time developing it in his hometown in France.
“It is a very exciting project,” says Arthur. “The goal is to have a wheelchair specifically for tennis that any of our disabled guests can use. I’ll show them how they can easily play tennis. We will have a discovery class for disabled guests, but also we will open it to non-disabled guests to show a new perspective to them and maybe help raise more awareness”.
Amilla Maldives already had many accessible features such as ground-floor villas, a beach wheelchair and light-up phones for the hearing impaired. But they are also rolling out many new developments to make Amilla fully inclusive, such as adaptive yoga and snorkelling, sensory experiences for vision-impaired guests, ‘calming spaces’ designed to reduce anxiety and stress for guests who are sensitive to high sensory experiences, and deaf-alert systems. All of the staff are being trained to ensure every guest of every level of mobility feels comfortable.
For enquiries about staying at this Naturally Lush inclusive private island resort contact firstname.lastname@example.org or your travel agent. Visit www.amilla.com to view our Summer Offer.Check Availability and Prices
Recent Posts 05.08.2022
- Covid-19: Now everyone can travel to the Maldives
- Deal of the Day: EXCLUSIVE WEB OFFER at Hard Rock Hotel Maldives
- The Nautilus Maldives adds Exclusive French flavour to Its Spa experience
- Latest News from Amilla, July
- The Maldives Art scene: Huvafen Fushi
- 2022 Summer-Fall Getaways in the Maldives
- Wheelchair Tennis Star To Attend Launch of Adaptive Tennis at Amilla Maldives
- Survey: 91.4% Travelers Ready to Cruise This Year
- Green Globe awards First Certification to Cora Cora Maldives
- Latest News from Kandima, August
- The More You Know: Discover New Chapter of Milaidhoo Stories
- Vacationing with Friends? Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa Unveils the Over-water Residence
- Ideas for your next break: Use 40% Off- Super Saver deal in Kandolhu
- Total Well-Being awaits at THE OZEN COLLECTION
- Best 2022 Last Minute Hotels in Maldives
- Tranquil luxury Maldives stay with Free transfers & Spa perks at Cinnamon resorts
- Now Is Shark Week: Where to dive with sharks in real life
- Late-Night Must-Do’s at Milaidhoo: Astro Retreat
- Sea Life and Snorkeling: Komandoo Maldives resort
- Inspiration for a Tropical Winter Escape: Save 20% with Hurawalhi
- Summer Perks to brighten Up Your Maldives Vacation at Grand Park Kodhipparu
- Latest News from Meeru Island, July
- For Foodies: One Good Reason to Visit Le Meridien Maldives Right Now
- Cruise around the world with Silversea
- Latest News from Veligandu Island, July
- Marine Conservation at Outrigger Maafushivaru Maldives resort
- Virgin Voyages to Remove Pre-Embarkation Testing for COVID
- Top 5 Dive Sites for Thrill Seekers in Lhaviyani Atoll
- The Maldives Rising: Newly Renovated Resorts
- New 7 Reasons to Make Kandima Your Family's Happy Place
- Centara Ras Fushi resort appoints Mikael O’Brien as Executive Chef
- Oaga Art Resort announces Exclusive 7-h Audition Day
- Baros Expands Culinary Innovation in 2022
- Planhotel Group announces a New Key Appointments
- Where to Spot an Indian Celebs in The Maldives
Amilla Maldives Resort and Residences
Best Experience: Family, Couples, Dining, Wellness, Diving
Featuring more flexible approach to tropical island luxury, Amilla Maldives resort offers a luxurious 'island home' for both couples and families in the Maldives. Known as The Island of Surprises - younger, hipper, with a fresh and contemporary accomodation, the resort has so much to offer, from high design and inventive dining options, to stylish villas and amazing snorkelling and diving. Located in the Baa atoll, UNESCO Biosphere reserve, this might just be the most family friendly resort in the Maldives. The island is renowned for its constant evolution, ingenuity, playfulness and innovations, from its new Maldivian traditional medicine-inspired spa treatments to ‘glamping’ in a bubble pod under the stars.Read More
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More