The Maldives temporary travel ban for South Asian countries could be eased early June
Can I visit the Maldives?
18 May, 2021
The Maldives will review the temporary suspension of tourist visas for South Asian countries by the end of May and will look into easing the travel restrictions by early June, revealed Ministry of Tourism.
“Before the end of this month Maldives will review the temporary suspension of tourist visas for those travelling from South Asian countries,” Ministry stated in a tweet. “We are optimistic of easing the temporary restrictions in early June.”
Maldives government issued a temporary travel ban to visitors from South Asian countries since 13th May following the rise in COVID-19 cases in the region. The temporary travel ban was imposed for visitors from India, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Afghanistan. The travel ban also applies to travelers who have spent over 24 hours in transit in the aforementioned countries, as well as those who have visited the said countries in the last 14 days.
The Maldives has seen 3,000 tourist arrivals per day on average, prior to the travel ban. However, the arrival figures has dropped to 2,000 a day due to the suspension of the tourist visa to South Asian countries. This was mainly affected due to the fact that 20% of the tourists to Maldives in 2021 has been dominated by India alone. Several flights, mainly from India were cancelled due to this.
As India battles a major coronavirus wave, concerns arise about infection levels in neighboring countries. The government of Maldives has taken a number of measures to curb the spread of the disease including travel and other restrictions. This includes a curfew that is now being imposed in the Greater Malé Area (Malé, Hulhumalé, Villimalé) from 4pm to 4am, starting from 12th May 2021, for a duration of 3 weeks.
Despite this, Maldives still remains open to the rest of the world where visitors are granted a 30-day free on-arrival visa with a confirmed booking for a stay at any registered tourist facility in the country. Effective from 3rd May 2021, all inbound travelers are required to present negative PCR test result, with the sample taken not more than 96 hours prior to departure to Maldives. This includes travelers who have also completed the administration of their 2nd dose of COVID-19 vaccine.
The negative PCR test result must be attached while completing Traveler Health Declaration form, which has to be submitted online via IMUGA (www.imuga.immigration.gov.mv), by all arriving passengers before arrival (but not exceeding 24 hours before arrival time).
Recent Posts 24.09.2022
- Covid-19: Now everyone can travel to the Maldives
- Creative Activities in The Maldives: The ART of Bohemia experience at The Nautilus
- Top Best Places for Swimming & Diving with Whale Sharks
- Netherlands First Anantara Debuts in the Heart of Amsterdam
- Six Senses Laamu launches Sustainability Camp for Kids
- Celebrate the End of Year with Anantara Veli: Reopening Special offer
- Join Wellness retreat with Celebrity Trainer Ramona Braganza at Kandima
- Plan a Festive Getaway of Your Dreams: A Magical Baros Tale
- Marine Conservation at OBLU SELECT Sangeli
- Holland America Line Announces 2024 Grand Australia and New Zealand Voyage
- CROSSROADS Maldives celebrates 3 Years of Service Excellence
- Hard Rock 50th Anniversary Sale is Here: FLASH OFFER 25% off
- Latest News from Meeru Island, September 2022
- Princess Cruises’ New Ship, Sun Princess, to Debut in 2024
- Projekt Delfin in the Maldives has launched
- Scuba Diving experience at Emerald Faarufushi Resort
- Experience Holistic Wellness at The Standard Maldives with Ranjith Saj
- Discover the Freedom of Movement at Soneva Jani this Octobe
- Amilla Maldives resort to host Tennis Clinic with Emma Raducanu
- Masaba Gupta is living her Best Life in the Maldives
- Crown & Champa Resorts: What's new? September, 2022
- Discover the Key to a Good Life at Amilla Maldives this fall
- Mouni Roy enjoys Family weekend in the Maldives
- It's Time to Plan: 2022 Festive Season at Komandoo
- Summer Forever! Experience TASTE OF WINTER at Furaveri Maldives
- Where to Spot an Indian Celebs in The Maldives
Maldives Luxury Guide
Over a million tourists visit these islands every year for once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Now it's your turn to experience Maldives, the gem of the Indian ocean to discover plenty of hidden treasures. You can experience different experiences of luxury in Maldives best resorts, mingling with celebs in your best beachwear, dining in style, and falling in love with the underwater world. For those seeking romance, the Maldives offers enviably luxurious private accommodation and indulgent spas. Maldives makes the best holiday experiences year after year after year. Read More
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More