Maldives Asks Luxury Resorts to Cancel Local Island Excursions amidst Coronavirus fears
Maldives On a Budget
25 March, 2020
Tourism ministry of Maldives has requested all luxury resorts to cancel all excursions to local islands as a preventive measure against a potential spread of the novel coronavirus.
“With the current outbreak of the highly contagious and rapidly spreading Novel Corona Virus (COVID-19) in several countries around the world and with two cases tested positive in the Maldives, the government of Maldives is taking all preventive measures to control further spreading of the virus and minimise any negative impact on the tourism industry,” a circular issued by the tourism ministry read.
“In this regard, the Ministry of Tourism, requests all tourist establishments to cancel all excursion to local island (eg. island hopping), effective from 8th March 2020 till further notice.”
Maldives on Saturday reported its first cases of the novel coronavirus, as two hotel employees tested positive for Covid-19 at a luxury resort in the archipelago.
Two more cases have since been identified, with two resort islands currently in lockdown.
Maldives had taken several preventive measures against the spread of the new coronavirus, COVID-19.
The Maldives had earlier closed its borders to arrivals from the worst-hit countries, including mainland China, South Korea, Italy and Iran.
Cruise ships had also been banned from docking at any of the country’s ports.
All direct flights to and from China, Italy, South Korea and Iran had also been cancelled.
The island nation had installed thermal screening cameras at its international airports.
Quarantine facilities, including designated islets from the 1,192 islands that make up the archipelago, had also been established.
The global coronavirus outbreak is expected to hit the Maldivian economy hard, as tourism contributes the bulk of the island nation’s state revenue and foreign reserves.
The government has already announced several cost cutting measures, including a freeze on the hiring of new staff and suspension of non-essential travel by state officials.
The Maldivian government has reassured the public that efficient and timely measures are taken to protect and control spreading of COVID-19. Quarantine facilities, including designated islets from the 1,192 islands that make up the archipelago, had also been established.
Recent Posts 24.09.2022
- Covid-19: Now everyone can travel to the Maldives
- Creative Activities in The Maldives: The ART of Bohemia experience at The Nautilus
- Top Best Places for Swimming & Diving with Whale Sharks
- Netherlands First Anantara Debuts in the Heart of Amsterdam
- Six Senses Laamu launches Sustainability Camp for Kids
- Celebrate the End of Year with Anantara Veli: Reopening Special offer
- Join Wellness retreat with Celebrity Trainer Ramona Braganza at Kandima
- Plan a Festive Getaway of Your Dreams: A Magical Baros Tale
- Marine Conservation at OBLU SELECT Sangeli
- Holland America Line Announces 2024 Grand Australia and New Zealand Voyage
- CROSSROADS Maldives celebrates 3 Years of Service Excellence
- Hard Rock 50th Anniversary Sale is Here: FLASH OFFER 25% off
- Latest News from Meeru Island, September 2022
- Princess Cruises’ New Ship, Sun Princess, to Debut in 2024
- Projekt Delfin in the Maldives has launched
- Scuba Diving experience at Emerald Faarufushi Resort
- Experience Holistic Wellness at The Standard Maldives with Ranjith Saj
- Discover the Freedom of Movement at Soneva Jani this Octobe
- Amilla Maldives resort to host Tennis Clinic with Emma Raducanu
- Masaba Gupta is living her Best Life in the Maldives
- Crown & Champa Resorts: What's new? September, 2022
- Discover the Key to a Good Life at Amilla Maldives this fall
- Mouni Roy enjoys Family weekend in the Maldives
- It's Time to Plan: 2022 Festive Season at Komandoo
- Summer Forever! Experience TASTE OF WINTER at Furaveri Maldives
- Where to Spot an Indian Celebs in The Maldives
Maldives on a Budget
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays available, which range from budget guesthouses to backpacker-friendly hotels – there are all accomodation available for under USD 50 a night! The Maldives is a fascinating country to travel to independently, not least because it’s only been possible to do so for the past decade.
Undoubtedly, Maldives is'nt getting more cheaper every year, but it’s equally true that the gorgeous islands offer something for everyone – backpackers and budget-conscious travellers included! Here’s our dedicated section that guides you through everything you need to know about enjoying Maldives on the cheap. We’ve also included a section with useful tips on enjoying Maldives on a shoestring, and another which shows you all the free, and almost free, things you can enjoy for your cheap holiday in Maldives. Here for you the ultimate guide to enjoying Maldives on a budget. Read More
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More