Conscious Luxury: Marine Conservation at Nautilus Maldives Island Resort
Best Ultra-Luxury Resorts in the Maldives
06 Dec, 2021
As a luxury island resort in the Maldives, The Nautilus owes its exquisite natural beauty to an incredible natural phenomenon: the Baa Atoll.
This coral reef that encircles the island paradise teems with diverse sea life; it’s no surprise that the atoll has been classed as a UNESCO biosphere reserve. And it’s also no surprise that it has become a favourite holiday destination for travellers around the world, with its vibrant marine life, tropical islands, white sandy beaches and crystal-clear lagoons.
1. Conscious luxury is at the heart of The Nautilus Maldives
As the Maldives became a tourism favourite, the hospitality industry grew quickly in response. With this growth came the responsibility to protect our marine ecosystem, the intricate, complex biome – a beautiful balance of existence – that is home to so much life. And since this biome’s natural beauty is the main attraction drawing visitors to our little paradise, conservation is not just our ethical duty: our communities and livelihoods depend on the environment’s preservation. We, too, are connected with the ecosystem.
And so, we make every effort to preserve our natural heritage, giving it the respect it deserves – by enjoying its treasures, absolutely, but also by committing to its conservation and rehabilitation.
2. The Nautilus' conservation philosophy
The conservationist Baba Dioum once said:
“In the end, we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we are taught.”
As such, we believe that conservation begins with education and outreach – the most powerful tools one can use in the fight to protect our oceans. Our resident marine biologist, Mariana Pereira, leads these efforts, introducing guests, young and old, to the beauty of the marine ecosystem and providing practical ways to get involved in its preservation and rehabilitation.
3. Educational talks on the island
Mariana presents regular talks at our resort, her passion for marine biology infectious, as she describes the underwater wonders. These wonders centre on the vivid, complex ecosystems of the coral reefs – spectacular structures created by animal polyps growing together in colonies – which attract thousands of marine species.
Mariana will show you how to identify reef fish families, she’ll share with you which species of sea turtles lay their eggs on Maldivian shores, and she’ll explain why manta rays choose this particular part of the world to gather in huge numbers every year.
She’ll also explain the vital, inspirational work of marine conservation – work that is essential to the wellbeing and future of ocean ecology that, while rich and majestic, is also fragile.
4. The importance of the coral reef
The Maldives’ coral reef system is considered the seventh largest on Earth, representing 3.14% of the world’s reef area. This system provides food and shelter for numerous sea organisms, and much more besides. For example, reefs protect the coast from storm surges by dissipating the waves’ energy as they approach the shore; they absorb harmful pollutants like carbon, in the same way that trees absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere; and they are fundamental to the fishing industry, which feeds people the world over.
5. The Nautilus’s coral adoption programme
As part of our commitment to rehabilitating the coral reefs, Mariana works to increase the coral coverage of The Nautilus’ house reef. As coral is broken off from the reef – due to strong waves or diving fins – the fragments are collected and reattached to coral frames, to grow and repopulate the degraded areas of the reef.
As part of this effort, guests are invited to engage with this important work in a very personal way by adopting a coral frame. Once back home, you can monitor your adopted coral’s growth, via image updates online, giving you a one-of-a-kind souvenir of a once-in-a-lifetime holiday escape, a living souvenir that does so much more than capture a special memory.
6. Stewarding Our Natural Heritage
Beyond coral rehabilitation, The Nautilus also has other policies and activities in place to ensure the conservation of this idyllic Indian Ocean locale. Nesting turtles are monitored and protected, and escorted back into the ocean safely and quickly. A state-of-the art water and STP plant ensure no contaminants enter the ocean. And, because the reef and lagoon are marine-protected areas, you won’t find any fishing, crab hunting and lobster catching activities.
Why not embrace this unique opportunity to discover the Baa Atoll’s natural treasure – while helping to preserve its beauty? Start planning an island escape that combines indulgent luxury with conscious care.
If you would like to experience The Nautilus yourself and begin crafting a world of your own making visit www.thenautilusmaldives.comCheck Availability and Prices
Recent Posts 15.05.2022
- Covid-19: Now everyone can travel to the Maldives
- The Travel calendar for May in the Maldives
- Discover an Oasis of Health and Wellness at Finolhu Baa Atoll Maldives
- How to Travel green in LUX* South Ari Atoll
- Princess Cruises introduces All-inclusive premier package
- Heritance Aarah Is among World's Top All-Inclusive Resorts
- Say, “Cheers!” to The Platinum Jubilee Weekend at Finolhu Baa Atoll Maldives
- Blue Force expands its Liveaboards Fleet in the Maldive
- OBLU XPERIENCE Ailafushi opens 19th May With Exclusive Private offer
- Latest News from Meeru Island, May
- Euro-Divers Opens Its Doors to Guests at Alila Kothaifaru Maldive
- Soneva Jani welcomes to a Culinary Journey with Lee Westcott
- New AQV Expedition Ship, Ocean Victory, Sets Sail in Alaska
- Dusit Thani Maldives Partners with Local Brand Ogaa
- Alila Kothaifaru Maldives resort Announces Key Appointments
- Three Additional Princess Cruises Ships Return to Service
- Kuredu & Komandoo listed among the 10 Best Dive Resorts in the Maldives
- HAL Adds New Cruises to Australia, New Zealand and Southeast Asia
- Scuba Schools International launches New Diving App
- Amilla Resort recognized as Sustainable Travel Standard in the Maldives
- What's Hot in The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort, May
- Kudadoo Maldives awarded Prestigious Forbes 5-star Rating
- Sip Your Way into Wine Culture at Kuredu Maldives
- AirAsia returns to the Maldives
- Hotel-to-Table: Dine Sustainably at Gili with New Menu and Chef’s Table
- JUST VEG Celebration is Back at Atmosphere Kanifushi
- Latest News from Kandima, May
- Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi Honors First Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Award
- Can't-miss deal of the week: 30% Off Special Offer in Filitheyo Island
- OZEN LIFE MAADHOO opens LONU: New age Maldivian concept
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
The Nautilus Maldives
Best Experience: New Ultra Luxury Resort in Baa Atoll, villas and houses, Family, couples, Beach, Spa, activities
New bohemian luxury, The Nautilus Maldives is a highly exclusive, fully private resort of 26 beach and ocean houses. A privately-owned island in the heart of the Baa Atoll UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, The Nautilus Maldives will be opening in January 2019 with the serious ambition of being noted as one of the leading luxury resorts in the world. A refuge beyond the bounds of time and expectations, where every moment is tailored to you. A celebration of the individual spirit, The Nautilus gives you space – to share, to meet, to be yourself and to shape your own personal journey. And, most of all, to celebrate the people you’re with, in any way you choose. Read Full Review...
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More