Alila Kothaifaru Maldives Welcomes Thomas Weber as General Manager
Maldives Hotels and Travel Guide
17 November, 2022
Alila Kothaifaru Maldives is pleased to welcome Thomas Weber as the new General Manager of the island resort. Having lived and worked in the Maldives for more than six years prior to joining Alila, Thomas is well adapted to remote island life and enjoys every single day working in this very special part of the world.
The all-year-round Maldivian sunshine and uninterrupted ocean views is a far cry from the village of Klosters in the Swiss Alps where he grew up yet, given the Swiss village’s fame as a ski resort for celebrities and royalty, it is little surprise that Thomas entered the hospitality industry.
Having started out after secondary school with a chef’s apprenticeship at Hotel Pardenn in Klosters, Thomas brings to Alila Kothaifaru a wealth of international hospitality experience spanning more than 35 years, including F&B and management roles with luxury hotels in Switzerland, Hong Kong, South Africa, Kenya, India, Saudi Arabia and the Maldives.
In 2003, Thomas took up his first general manager post at Kurland Hotel and Poloclub in Plettenberg Bay, South Africa, subsequently moving into the same role with Mövenpick Jeddah Al Nawras in Saudi Arabia, Mövenpick Hotel & Spa Bangalore in India, and Oberwaid in St Gallen, Switzerland. Then came the start of his journey in the Maldives, as regional General Manager for Diamonds Athuruga and Thudufushi Maldives in 2016—adding Sandies Bathala Maldives to his responsibilities in 2018—and Dusit Thani Maldives in 2019.
Taking over the reins as General Manager at Alila Kothaifaru, Thomas has great plans to make Alila one of the most preferred resorts in the Maldives together with his team, especially for luxury travellers seeking a relaxing, eco-conscious escape.
“The Maldives provides the opportunity to rejuvenate and disconnect as you can escape to your own private villa, your own private cocoon. The sustainability efforts we practise at Alila Kothaifaru and our responsible mindset towards protecting the environment make our resort especially appealing,” Thomas shares.
As part of its holistic sustainability framework, the resort is also doing its part to empower the local community through internship, employment and partnership opportunities. Having come across many skilled and passionate hoteliers in these islands, Thomas knows there is great talent to be found and nurtured. In addition, Alila Kothaifaru’s bespoke Alila Experiences, crafted with the local knowledge of its Leisure Concierge team, contribute to preserving local culture and traditions while providing an authentic Maldivian experience for guests.
Through a collaborative and relationship-oriented leadership style, Thomas looks forward to empowering every team member so they can be their best and create amazing experiences for guests, surrounded by the stunning natural beauty of the Maldives.
About Alila: Surrounded by a stunning house reef in the scenic Raa Atoll, Alila Kothaifaru Maldives offers serenity and discovery in an awe-inspiring destination embraced by nature’s wonders. Enjoy easy access to the famous Hanifaru Bay UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve. This protected marine sanctuary is the largest feeding and breeding hotspot in the world for manta rays and whale sharks, which at times congregate here in their hundreds. Alila Kothaifaru Maldives is also close to Vaadhoo Island, one of the best spots to witness the spectacular “Sea of Stars” phenomenon, an extraordinary sight to behold.
Designed for serene relaxation in harmony with nature, each of the resort’s 44 beachfront villas and 36 overwater villas comes with a private pool. Featuring contemporary interiors in a palette of soothing colours with natural textures, these spacious hideaways are carefully positioned to provide privacy and comfort in understated, sophisticated style.
- 2022 Festive Season with Alila Kothaifaru Maldives resort
- Maldives restaurants: Guide to Dining at Alila Kothaifaru
- Alila Kothaifaru Maldives resort Announces Executive Chef Appointment
- Alila Kothaifaru Maldives сelebrates World Environment Day and World Ocean Day
- Alila Kothaifaru Maldives opens 5 Star Dive Center
- Explore Culture of the Maldives with Alila Kothaifaru
Recent Posts 03.02.2023
- Booking.com Launches Early 2023 Deals: 15% OFF
- Best pick for when you’re planning Maldives Family Adventure: Anantara Kihavah
- Stories: COMO Hotels and Resorts, February 2023
- From Romantic escape to Wellbeing experiences and other COCO news this month
- Jumeirah Maldives unveils love in bloom Valentine’s Day experiences
- Paradise Island resort celebrates Green Key award
- Latest News from Kandima, February 2023
- This Is Your Joyful Maldivian Adventure – 20% OFF at VARU by Atmosphere
- Anantara Hotels expand Europe Portfolio with the opening of Anantara Plaza Nice Hotel
- OBLU SELECT Lobigili' beaches is Your ideal castaway in Paradise
- Latest News from Kuramathi Maldives resort, January 2023
- Things to Do on Valentine's Day at Alila Kothaifaru Maldives resort
- CROSSROADS Maldives launches Free Transfers from Male, Hulhumale
- Mastercard announces launch of its Priceless programme in Maldives
- Angsana' Maldives resort relaunches as Dhawa Ihuru
- Sustainability technology at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
- Discover the taste of Bangkok’s Haoma at W Maldives this February
- Rooftop dining experience with the new menu at Maagiri Hotel’ Peak restaurant
- Explore + Relax: A great way to unwind at Dhigali Maldives
- Green side of Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon
- Why sustainability is key of success at The Nautilus Maldives
- It's Time for New journey: Discover Your Dream Vacation with Dusit Thani Maldives
- Sri Lanka Bucket List: Best Things to Do with Anantara Hotels
- The Ritz-Carlton Maldives hosts Michelin star events this February
- Where to Feel the Love: VALENTINE’S AT OZEN
- Valentine's celebrations: Festival of romance at Hurawalhi Maldives
- Amilla Maldives resort unveils Intimate Self-Service Wedding Venue
- Find Winter Sun with Atmosphere Hotels & Resorts
- Where to Spot an Indian Celebs in The Maldives
Maldives Luxury Guide
Over a million tourists visit these islands every year for once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Now it's your turn to experience Maldives, the gem of the Indian ocean to discover plenty of hidden treasures. You can experience different experiences of luxury in Maldives best resorts, mingling with celebs in your best beachwear, dining in style, and falling in love with the underwater world. For those seeking romance, the Maldives offers enviably luxurious private accommodation and indulgent spas. Maldives makes the best holiday experiences year after year after year. Read More
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More