Experience ‘Manta Mania’ with Conrad Maldives Rangali Island this season
Maldives Scuba Diving Guide
16 February, 2022
Following the mantas’ annual migration across the Indian Ocean, guests at the luxury Conrad Maldives Rangali Island are enjoying regular spotting as they congregate in the waters surrounding the resort.
A protected marine area, the pristine South Ari Atoll has some of the richest waters in the Maldives and is the only place in the world that the whale shark – the world’s largest fish – can be seen its natural habitat all year round, whilst also being a year-round home to pods of dolphins and an abundance of other marine life.
Considered a vulnerable species, manta rays are the largest rays in the world. The word ‘manta’ means blanket or cloak in Spanish and describes the rays’ instantly recognisable large, flat, diamond-shaped body which is characterised by their wing-like pectoral fins. The reef ray manta – the species most commonly seen in the Maldives – has an impressive wingspan of up to 14 feet (around 4.5 metres), enabling it to move gracefully through the water while feeding.
With one of the largest comparable brain sizes of any marine animal, mantas are highly curious, resulting in some very up close and personal snorkelling encounters. Not to be left out, land-lovers can also look forward to spotting the manta rays from the twin island’s connecting bridge at dusk, where the surprise of looking down on the stunning creatures enthusiastically feeding on plankton makes for a spectacular and memorable sight.
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island works in collaboration with a team of experts from Ocean Group to conserve the ocean and wildlife surrounding the resort, with Andy Birtles, Dive Centre Manager at Ocean Group explaining, “during this time of the year, as the monsoons change, plankton – mantas’ favourite food – move west to the South Ari Atoll, and are followed by large numbers of manta rays in search of sustenance and to be cleaned.
“Conrad Maldives Rangali Island has made a huge commitment to protect the manta’s wellbeing and habitat and we’re really proud of the work we’re doing together to raise awareness of these charismatic and gentle giants, whilst providing guests with a unique experience that will stay with them forever. With the season just getting underway, there is plenty of time over the next few months to experience it first-hand and I encourage everyone visiting to take the opportunity to snorkel or dive with these amazing creatures while they can.”
In addition to seeing an abundance of marine life in its natural habitat, guests at Conrad Maldives Rangali Island also have the opportunity to support the resort’s eco-mission by joining in with coral planting, beach clean ups and supporting the coral reef regeneration initiative which includes a coral adoption program for guests to get involved in.
5 things you didn’t know about manta rays by Andy Birtles, Dive Centre Manager at Ocean Group:
- Every manta has a unique spot pattern on their bellies – so we know each our manta’s individually
- Manta can feed at depths as deep as 400m
- Female mantas are around 20% bigger than males
- Mantas were originally nicknamed “Devilfish” because of their horn shaped fins, but mantas are completely harmless to humans
- Mantas have been documented and filmed going up to SCUBA divers in the water to look for assistance and help from humans!
Nestled in the South Ari Atoll and just a short seaplane ride from Male’s Velana International Airport, the award-winning Conrad Maldives Rangali Island is one of the most renowned and exclusive destinations in the Maldives and has undergone an expansive multi-million-dollar refurbishment to elevate its signature hospitality with thoughtful experiences and refreshed interiors.
Due to be unveiled in 2022, guests can enjoy significant enhancements across the resort including extensive renovations, thoughtful experiences and upgraded culinary offering that will bring Conrad Maldives Rangali Island to the top of its game, ensuring it continues to offer authentic barefoot luxury across its twin islands that guests have long enjoyed since the resort landed in the shores of the Maldives.Check Availability and Rates
Recent Posts 24.09.2022
- Covid-19: Now everyone can travel to the Maldives
- Creative Activities in The Maldives: The ART of Bohemia experience at The Nautilus
- Top Best Places for Swimming & Diving with Whale Sharks
- Netherlands First Anantara Debuts in the Heart of Amsterdam
- Six Senses Laamu launches Sustainability Camp for Kids
- Celebrate the End of Year with Anantara Veli: Reopening Special offer
- Join Wellness retreat with Celebrity Trainer Ramona Braganza at Kandima
- Plan a Festive Getaway of Your Dreams: A Magical Baros Tale
- Marine Conservation at OBLU SELECT Sangeli
- Holland America Line Announces 2024 Grand Australia and New Zealand Voyage
- CROSSROADS Maldives celebrates 3 Years of Service Excellence
- Hard Rock 50th Anniversary Sale is Here: FLASH OFFER 25% off
- Latest News from Meeru Island, September 2022
- Princess Cruises’ New Ship, Sun Princess, to Debut in 2024
- Projekt Delfin in the Maldives has launched
- Scuba Diving experience at Emerald Faarufushi Resort
- Experience Holistic Wellness at The Standard Maldives with Ranjith Saj
- Discover the Freedom of Movement at Soneva Jani this Octobe
- Amilla Maldives resort to host Tennis Clinic with Emma Raducanu
- Masaba Gupta is living her Best Life in the Maldives
- Crown & Champa Resorts: What's new? September, 2022
- Discover the Key to a Good Life at Amilla Maldives this fall
- Mouni Roy enjoys Family weekend in the Maldives
- It's Time to Plan: 2022 Festive Season at Komandoo
- Summer Forever! Experience TASTE OF WINTER at Furaveri Maldives
- Where to Spot an Indian Celebs in The Maldives
Hilton Hotels in Maldives
Hilton Worldwide remains committed to the hospitality and tourism industry in Maldives and currently manages three resorts: an award-winning luxury resort Conrad Maldives Rangali Island, Saii Lagoon Curio Collection by Hilton and luxurious Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi.
The majority of miles & points collectors like to use their balances on aspirational travel and when it comes to aspirational travel the Maldives ranks quite highly. If you’re a Hilton loyalist, right now you have just these three option when visiting the Maldives. Read More
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More