BBC World News, BBC Reel announce special ‘Extreme Conservation, The Maldives’ episode
Maldives Scuba Diving Guide
05 June, 2022
Exploring how extreme conservation can save the nature and beauty of the Maldives, meeting passionate ECO-warriors and innovative ideas, give hope for the future of this unique little piece of paradise.
In Extreme Conservation, airing in June on BBC World News and BBC Reel, BBC wildlife and conservation presenter Michaela Strachan tours the world meeting the individuals fighting against the extinction of species or even entire habitats, telling the extraordinary stories of their battle against the odds to help us all. For the first episode ‘The Maldives’ Michaela investigates the existential threat this stunning island nation faces, as these sandy islands are literally being washed off the map.
Michaela travels across the Maldives meeting those trying to save it and, in particular, focusing on technology being developed to help support coral reefs, game changing solutions in development to battle the effects of land reclamation and of course the efforts being made by resorts to further sustainable tourism.
Michaela Strachan says: “’I had such an amazing trip to the Maldives. This is a country that’s facing head on, the devastating effects of climate change. Effects that are very real and very immediate. I met conservationists and scientists who are coming up with exciting and pioneering projects, creative minds that are thinking out of the box. It was incredibly inspiring to see bright individuals working together to come up with solutions. It really gave me hope for the future of these beautiful islands.”
Coral reefs are critical in trying to dissipate the increasing wave energy of the ocean but face constant bleaching attacks. On the island of Fulhadoo Michaela meets the team from the Coral Institute who are researching how to make the reefs more resilient and developing techniques to regrow the reefs. Their work takes place in conjunction with several eminent international marine environment researchers from the UK, Palau and Australia. They advise on and learn from the work of the institute and to apply any findings elsewhere.
The next stop is Summer Island where Michaela dives with Arjan Sierink, a Dutch researcher pioneering techniques of 3D printing coral reefs in varying materials to encourage rapid growth.
Michaela meets a team of MIT researchers working on a game changing alternative to the usual sand dredging technique for land reclamation. They show her the damage such processes can cause and introduce her to their technology which is harnessing the power of nature, rather than using machines to collect sand to form new islands.
Tourism of course is the economic lifeblood of the country, but is not known for its sustainability credentials. Next up Michaela takes a deep dive into a forward-thinking resort founded by Sonu Shivdasani to see how they are promoting sustainable tourism in the Maldives. Sonu Shivdasani has worked hard to reduce his resort, Sonevafushi’s, carbon footprint. The resort is working hard to support sustainable tourism by using virtually no plastic and turning any waste it produces into souvenirs taken home by its visitors.
Recent Posts 24.11.2022
- The Travel Calendar for November 2022 in the Maldives
- Where to Ring in 2023 in the Maldives
- Kudadoo welcomes Hania, master of Wellness this holiday season
- Kandima Maldives resort announces Key Leadership Appointments
- Diamonds Thudufushi Beach & Water Villas opens new Marine laboratory
- Capture Holiday Magic in Maldives and save up to 30% with Amari Havodda
- Coral Reef restoration at Hurawalhi Maldives
- Amilla Maldives Resort Teams Up with Olive Ridley Project to Protect Turtles
- 7 reasons The Nautilus is Now One of the Maldives most exclusive hotels
- Maldives wins ‘Best Romantic Destination’ at T+L India’s Best Awards
- Vakkaru Maldives launches Jungle Cinema and Anguru Teppanyaki
- A round-up of the latest Cruise news
- Nova Maldives resort Announces New General Manager Appointments
- Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi hosts first workplace mental health awareness programme
- Make Dine Around to Complete the Holiday of Your Dreams in Maldives
- Alila Kothaifaru Maldives resort Announces New General Manager Appointment
- Crown & Champa Resorts: What's new? November 2022
- Who pays the bills: People's Majlis approved TGST and GST Hike
- Celebrate your Romantic moments with ‘The Nooma Experience’ at Baros Maldives
- Latest News from Meeru Island, November 2022
- Manta Trust: What's New, November 2022
- Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi launches Flying Dress photoshoot experience
- Why Vakkaru Maldives is the World’s Leading Luxury Honeymoon Resort
- Star performances and DJ sets at Sun Siyam Iru Fushi
- LUX* South Ari Atoll Announces Collaboration with lifestyle Fashion brand
- Find Winter Sun with Atmosphere Hotels & Resorts
- Where to Spot an Indian Celebs in The Maldives
Scuba Diving in the Maldives
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays available, which range from budget guesthouses to backpacker-friendly hotels – there are all accomodation available for under USD 50 a night! The Maldives is a fascinating country to travel to independently, not least because it’s only been possible to do so for the past decade.
Scuba diving in the Maldives means diving at one of the worlds best scuba diving destinations, because of the white sand beaches, coral reefs, clear warm waters, dive sites and a thriving and vibrant marine life. Explore excellent dive sites and a collection of underwater gardens. They're abundant with extensive coral reefs and magnificent fish life. It's common to see sharks, turtles, manta rays, whale sharks and a kaleidoscopic range of tropical sea creatures.Read More
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More