The Maldives springs up as a COVID-Safe Haven
Maldives Luxury Holidays
03 Apr, 2021
With many luxury private island resorts, the Maldives’ farsighted hotels were practically made for social distancing.
With water villas perched by turquoise lagoons, pristine beaches, and ultra-luxurious resorts that let you live out Crusoe's fantasies, the Maldives is a dream destination by any standards, but since the country reopened to international tourism last July, it has emerged as one of the biggest success stories in the COVID-19 era.
Though the number of visitors declined from a yearly average of 1.7 million to 555,494 in 2020, according to CNN, a few of the top resorts saw their occupancy rates and revenue increase.
In fact, while hotels and resorts around the world have shut down due to border closures and plummeting demand, Soneva Jani not only remained open, but recently debuted 27 luxurious new overwater villas and an all-inclusive pricing model dubbed Soneva Unlimited.
“It is the goal of Eva and I to make sure that all our private islands are COVID-free environments so that our guests can truly relax and engage with our hosts and fellow guests, whether it is on the sandbank, the Den, or anywhere else,” Sonu Shivdasani, who founded Soneva Resorts with his wife, Eva, said in a video detailing the resorts’ new COVID-19 protocols.
Though travelers arriving in the Maldives must present a negative PCR test taken within 96 hours before departure to enter the country, Soneva takes extra precautions, testing guests immediately upon check-in and again on the sixth day of their stay, and requiring daily temperature checks. The pros: As long as guests receive negative test results and remain symptom-free, they can roam the island without a mask, just as they would in the pre-pandemic days.
And Soneva is not the only brand taking this approach. Most resorts in the Maldives make their guests feel so safe you forget everything about COVID when you’re there. Everything you want, particularly at a time like this, is there: seclusion, exclusivity, fresh air and sun.
Beach lovers who go to the Maldives will be spoiled for choice, as the destination has seen a spate of openings over the last few years, with more coming up. Aside from JOALI, we recommend the Nautilus, which opened in 2019 as the Maldives’ only member of Relais & Châteaux. The award-winning resort has just 26 beach or ocean houses with boho-chic interiors, an overwater spa, a fleet of yachts, and four restaurants and bars.
Other recent openings include the fully sustainable Kudadoo, the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi, the Raffles Maldives Meradhoo, the St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort, Cheval Blanc Randheli, and Conrad Maldives Rangali Island, which boasts an undersea restaurant and the Muraka underwater villa.
And of course, there are established favorites like One & Only Reethi Rah, Six Senses Laamu, LUX* North Male atoll, and Gili Lankanfushi, which was one of the first eco-chic properties in the country.
This year will see the debut of the Fari Islands archipelago in the North Malé Atoll, home to the Fari Marina Village, Fari Beach Club, a James Turrell Skyspace, and three resorts.
The first to open will be Patina Maldives, Fari Islands, the inaugural resort in the Patina brand developed by Capella Hotel Group. Designed by renowned Brazilian designer Marcio Kogan of Studio MK27, the resort boasts a biophilic design with low-slung buildings that respect the horizon, earthy color palettes, and natural materials. It will open in May as a member of Design Hotels with starting rates from $1,950 per night.
Next up, the Ritz Carlton, Fari Islands designed by Kerry Hill Architects, will open on June 1 with a collection of villas, seven restaurants and bars, a tranquil spa, and an array of locally immersive cultural experiences. Capella will also debut a resort in the Fari Islands designed by Kengo Kuma and André Fu in 2023.
We can’t really think of a better-suited destination for now and for the foreseeable future. This is really the place you want to go if you’re in any way concerned about COVID.
Recent Posts 03.02.2023
- Booking.com Launches Early 2023 Deals: 15% OFF
- Best pick for when you’re planning Maldives Family Adventure: Anantara Kihavah
- Stories: COMO Hotels and Resorts, February 2023
- From Romantic escape to Wellbeing experiences and other COCO news this month
- Jumeirah Maldives unveils love in bloom Valentine’s Day experiences
- Paradise Island resort celebrates Green Key award
- Latest News from Kandima, February 2023
- This Is Your Joyful Maldivian Adventure – 20% OFF at VARU by Atmosphere
- Anantara Hotels expand Europe Portfolio with the opening of Anantara Plaza Nice Hotel
- OBLU SELECT Lobigili' beaches is Your ideal castaway in Paradise
- Latest News from Kuramathi Maldives resort, January 2023
- Things to Do on Valentine's Day at Alila Kothaifaru Maldives resort
- CROSSROADS Maldives launches Free Transfers from Male, Hulhumale
- Mastercard announces launch of its Priceless programme in Maldives
- Angsana' Maldives resort relaunches as Dhawa Ihuru
- Sustainability technology at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
- Discover the taste of Bangkok’s Haoma at W Maldives this February
- Rooftop dining experience with the new menu at Maagiri Hotel’ Peak restaurant
- Explore + Relax: A great way to unwind at Dhigali Maldives
- Green side of Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon
- Why sustainability is key of success at The Nautilus Maldives
- It's Time for New journey: Discover Your Dream Vacation with Dusit Thani Maldives
- Sri Lanka Bucket List: Best Things to Do with Anantara Hotels
- The Ritz-Carlton Maldives hosts Michelin star events this February
- Where to Feel the Love: VALENTINE’S AT OZEN
- Valentine's celebrations: Festival of romance at Hurawalhi Maldives
- Amilla Maldives resort unveils Intimate Self-Service Wedding Venue
- Find Winter Sun with Atmosphere Hotels & Resorts
- Where to Spot an Indian Celebs in The Maldives
Maldives Luxury Guide
Over a million tourists visit these islands every year for once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Now it's your turn to experience Maldives, the gem of the Indian ocean to discover plenty of hidden treasures. You can experience different experiences of luxury in Maldives best resorts, mingling with celebs in your best beachwear, dining in style, and falling in love with the underwater world. For those seeking romance, the Maldives offers enviably luxurious private accommodation and indulgent spas. Maldives makes the best holiday experiences year after year after year. Read More
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More