Angsana Velavaru Shark Conservation Project Records Over 350 Sharks, 9 Different Species
Best Water Villas in the Maldives
31 May, 2020
Today, Banyan Tree Marine Conservation Centre at Angsana Velavaru has recorded more than 350 sharks from 9 different species.
Widespread exploitation of sharks has resulted in substantial declines in shark populations with 30 per cent of shark species globally at risk of extinction.
As part of a long-term project, Banyan Tree Marine Conservation Centre at Angsana Vealvaru monitors Maldivian shark populations using Baited Remote Underwater Videos (BRUVs). BRUVs are a non-intrusive method for observing underwater life and are commonly used to survey sharks.
Data from the undergoing research will be used to identify important shark habitats and assess the effectiveness of the national shark fishing ban in Maldives. Findings will ensure successful outcomes and ultimately identify social and ecological indicators important for the sustainable management of shark populations.
Perched on an expansive private lagoon in the virtually untouched South Nilandhe Atoll in the Maldives, and just a 40-minute seaplane journey from Velana International Airport, Angsana Velavaru (the island known as “Turtle Island” in the local Dhivehi language) is surrounded by sparkling turquoise waters and ocean views as far as the eye can see. This luxurious tropical getaway offers 79 private villas, all with beach frontage, and a cluster of 34 InOcean Villas, the first standalone collection of water villas in the Maldives perched one kilometre from the main island.
Recent Posts 09.01.2022
- Covid-19: Now everyone can travel to the Maldives
- Traveling With Kids in Maldives? Take advantage of LUXURY FAMILY VILLA OFFER at Anantara Dhigu Resort: Children stay and dine free
- MSC Cruises Unveils 2022 "Cruise With Confidence" Program
- Latest News from Mirihi Island, January
- Maldives main airport launches first phase of new VIP Terminal
- Hawaii Approves Cruise Ship Operations for Norwegian, Carnival
- The More You Know: Discover New Chapter of Milaidhoo Stories
- Conrad Maldives Rangali Island appoints Ida Ayu Nyoman Widiaptini as Director of Spa
- Fari Islands celebrates the Opening of a New football field
- Blissful Maldives Luxury Escape at Cinnamon Velifushi
- Royal Caribbean Group offers Intel on Omicron Cruise Impact
- 'MADE FOR WAVES': Exclusive Surf Package
- Win a fabulous 5-night Luxury Break at Hard Rock Hotel Maldives
- The Maldives adds New Departure Tax
- Villa Hotels & Resorts announces WELL Health-Safety rating achievement
- Hurawalhi Maldives wins 3 prestigious 2021 Hotel Travel Awards 2021
- 10 Maldives Islands That Should Be at the Top of Your List
- Review Year 2021: B-Town divas who set the Internet on Fire with their Bikini Photos
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Best Experience: Honeymoon, Family Vacation, Water Villas, Beach, Activities
With some of the best water villas, Angsana Velavaru is located in Dhaalu atoll (South Nilandhe atoll), Maldives in 35 minutes by seaplane from Velana (Male) International Airport. With magnificent white beaches the resort is on the beautiful Velavaru island, which means "Turtle Island" and is surrounded by a picturesque lagoon with clear turquoise waters playing any shades of blue and green. Perfect for a honeymoon or other romantic getaway, as well as family vacation Angsana Velavaru Resort is not cheap, but a wonderful retreat for those with the finest of tastes. This 113-villa resort offers 79 island villas and 34 InOcean Villas, revealing spectacular views and direct access to the Indian Ocean. Read Full Review
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More