Angsana Velavaru Shark Conservation Project Records Over 350 Sharks, 9 Different Species
Best Water Villas in the Maldives
31 May, 2020
Today, Banyan Tree Marine Conservation Centre at Angsana Velavaru has recorded more than 350 sharks from 9 different species.
Widespread exploitation of sharks has resulted in substantial declines in shark populations with 30 per cent of shark species globally at risk of extinction.
As part of a long-term project, Banyan Tree Marine Conservation Centre at Angsana Vealvaru monitors Maldivian shark populations using Baited Remote Underwater Videos (BRUVs). BRUVs are a non-intrusive method for observing underwater life and are commonly used to survey sharks.
Data from the undergoing research will be used to identify important shark habitats and assess the effectiveness of the national shark fishing ban in Maldives. Findings will ensure successful outcomes and ultimately identify social and ecological indicators important for the sustainable management of shark populations.
Perched on an expansive private lagoon in the virtually untouched South Nilandhe Atoll in the Maldives, and just a 40-minute seaplane journey from Velana International Airport, Angsana Velavaru (the island known as “Turtle Island” in the local Dhivehi language) is surrounded by sparkling turquoise waters and ocean views as far as the eye can see. This luxurious tropical getaway offers 79 private villas, all with beach frontage, and a cluster of 34 InOcean Villas, the first standalone collection of water villas in the Maldives perched one kilometre from the main island.
Recent Posts 06.03.2021
- COVID-19 TRAVEL FAQ
- Air Travel post coronavirus (updated)
- Maldives Guesthouses Reopen after COVID-19 closure
- Experience fun family vacations in the Maldives with latest hotel deals and special offers!
- Enjoy Fantastic Vacation in Maldives 2021 with Crown & Champa Resorts special offers
- Anantara Kihavah unveils collection of Luxury Private Pool Residences
- The Ritz-Carlton Maldives has announced its partnership with Jean-Michel Cousteau
- OZEN LIFE MAADHOO hosts Indian Celebrity wedding
- LUX* Maldives Luxury Resorts announces new appointments
- Amilla Maldives celebrates Easter in collaboration with Ministry of Crabs
- 5 Romantic Ways to enjoy Mirihi Island
- 10 Luxury Hotels in Maldives for Solo Travelers
- Discover an Unique places to Stay in the Maldives
- Maldives named world’s most Instagrammed tourist location
- Vakkaru Maldives welcomes innovative Wellness specialist Domingos Folgado
- Experience the Maldives Best Vacations on board Luxury private yacht
- Most Romantic Luxury Vacation Deals in Maldives You Don't Want to Miss
- Enjoy your Vacation in Paradise with this 10 Free Transfer offers
- 10 Best Hotels in Maldives for Under $200 per Night
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Best Experience: Honeymoon, Family Vacation, Water Villas, Beach, Activities
With some of the best water villas, Angsana Velavaru is located in Dhaalu atoll (South Nilandhe atoll), Maldives in 35 minutes by seaplane from Velana (Male) International Airport. With magnificent white beaches the resort is on the beautiful Velavaru island, which means "Turtle Island" and is surrounded by a picturesque lagoon with clear turquoise waters playing any shades of blue and green. Perfect for a honeymoon or other romantic getaway, as well as family vacation Angsana Velavaru Resort is not cheap, but a wonderful retreat for those with the finest of tastes. This 113-villa resort offers 79 island villas and 34 InOcean Villas, revealing spectacular views and direct access to the Indian Ocean. Read Full Review
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
10 Romantic Dining Experiences
The Maldives is a breathtaking destination with it's paper-white sands, azure lagoons, and seclude island vibes. Dining and romance go hand in hand in the Maldives.The restaurants and destinationRead More
6 Underwater Restaurants
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Liveaboards
Liveaboards in Maldives is the best way to discover underwater world with many must-have tropical SCUBA experiences. Deserted, white sand islandsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelersRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More