Angsana Velavaru Shark Conservation Project Records Over 350 Sharks, 9 Different Species
Best Water Villas in the Maldives
31 May, 2020
Today, Banyan Tree Marine Conservation Centre at Angsana Velavaru has recorded more than 350 sharks from 9 different species.
Widespread exploitation of sharks has resulted in substantial declines in shark populations with 30 per cent of shark species globally at risk of extinction.
As part of a long-term project, Banyan Tree Marine Conservation Centre at Angsana Vealvaru monitors Maldivian shark populations using Baited Remote Underwater Videos (BRUVs). BRUVs are a non-intrusive method for observing underwater life and are commonly used to survey sharks.
Data from the undergoing research will be used to identify important shark habitats and assess the effectiveness of the national shark fishing ban in Maldives. Findings will ensure successful outcomes and ultimately identify social and ecological indicators important for the sustainable management of shark populations.
Perched on an expansive private lagoon in the virtually untouched South Nilandhe Atoll in the Maldives, and just a 40-minute seaplane journey from Velana International Airport, Angsana Velavaru (the island known as “Turtle Island” in the local Dhivehi language) is surrounded by sparkling turquoise waters and ocean views as far as the eye can see. This luxurious tropical getaway offers 79 private villas, all with beach frontage, and a cluster of 34 InOcean Villas, the first standalone collection of water villas in the Maldives perched one kilometre from the main island.
Recent Posts 03.07.2022
- Covid-19: Now everyone can travel to the Maldives
- SUPER DEAL is back! Save Up to 35% with Eid Eskape at Kandima - Hurry up!
- Hilton Expands Maldives Portfolio with with Debut of Hilton Maldives Amingiri Resort
- Chocoholic? Good Thing There’s Chocolate Scene at Heritance Aarah
- Latest News from Kandima, July 2022
- Sun Island Maldives Resort unveils New Beach villas
- Bulgari Hotels announces Its debut in Maldives in 2025
- Ask Furaveri: What is the SUNsational Summer Vacation?
- Amilla Maldives resort welcomes disabled guests from across the globe
- Maafushivaru Earns ‘Best Luxury Hideaway Resort in Maldives’ Award
- Latest News from Kuramathi Maldives resort, June
- LUX* South Ari Atoll Welcomes The World’s First Solar-powered Vessel
- 5 Reasons Why Kandolhu Maldives resort is the number One for Romantic Getaway
- Patina Maldives Appoints Antonio Saponara as General Manager
- Carnival Cruise Line to Bring Costa Venezia to the U.S. in 2023
- Indulgent Maldives: Elevate Your Experience at OZEN Reserve Bolifushi
- Pulse Hotels & Resorts expand Maldives Portfolio With new Nova Maldives
- Hilton Maldives Amingiri Resort appoints Gaurav Thakur as General Manager
- Please Don’t Tell: SECRET DEAL OFFER – Extra 10% at Heritance Aarah
- OBLU SELECT Sangeli opens JUSTWOK — an Exciting Pan Asian restaurant
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Best Experience: Honeymoon, Family Vacation, Water Villas, Beach, Activities
With some of the best water villas, Angsana Velavaru is located in Dhaalu atoll (South Nilandhe atoll), Maldives in 35 minutes by seaplane from Velana (Male) International Airport. With magnificent white beaches the resort is on the beautiful Velavaru island, which means "Turtle Island" and is surrounded by a picturesque lagoon with clear turquoise waters playing any shades of blue and green. Perfect for a honeymoon or other romantic getaway, as well as family vacation Angsana Velavaru Resort is not cheap, but a wonderful retreat for those with the finest of tastes. This 113-villa resort offers 79 island villas and 34 InOcean Villas, revealing spectacular views and direct access to the Indian Ocean. Read Full Review
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More