Cruise Bookings Rocket For 2021 Despite COVID-19 Crisis
Luxury Travel in The Maldives
28 April, 2020
Cruises have been put on hold due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. However, despite a sharp spike in COVID-19 cases on cruise ships in the past few months, bookings for cruises have soared.
Cruise holidays were suspended recently due to the coronavirus pandemic. Many have been forced to rethink their summer holiday plans and even rebook or cancel their voyages. Passengers were left stranded for days in the middle of the ocean as docks refused entry.
However, CruiseCompete.com has actually seen a 40 percent increase in cruise bookings for 2021, compared to last year.
The company spoke to the Los Angeles Times and revealed that bookings for post-lockdown cruises are still surprisingly high.
Currently, the cruise industry is taking a huge financial hit due to the pandemic. The sudden spike in bookings is a positive move for the industry.
Swiss bank UBS also said that in the last 30 days, the number of cruise bookings for 2021 are up by nine percent compared to the same period this year. Surprisingly, a huge number of the cruises are brand new bookings, not just passengers re-booking their cancelled voyages.
UBS also reported that 76 percent of passengers whose cruises were cancelled this year accepted credit for another cruise in 2021. Just 24 percent accepted a refund.
A Harris Poll from March 31 also revealed that demand cruises will bounce back but at a slower rate than other methods of travel such as airlines and hotels.
A ruling by the CDC placed a further extension on when cruises will be allowed to resume from North America. Although many ships sail globally, not just to North America, the ruling has resulted in more disruption for travelers.
The CDC has now lengthened its “no-sail ban” for cruises sailing from and docking at US ports saying it should stay in place for at least “100 days”.
Though officials are allowed to recede the ban, as it stands that means the shutdown to cruising in the area will last until July. The ban can only be receded if the US government retracts its state of public health emergency.
The most recent coronavirus outbreaks on cruises were on the Diamond Princess and Ruby Princess cruise ships which are ships from Carnival Cruises. The company’s stock prices then plummeted by 80 percent.
While cruise lines have taken a severe financial hit and will face serious challenges to get back on track after the crisis, the loyalty of their customer base and the rise in bookings even in the midst of a pandemic that spread on cruise ships show a sliver of hope for an embattled industry.
Recent Posts 24.11.2020
- COVID-19 TRAVEL FAQ (updated)
- Air Travel post coronavirus (updated)
- Maldives to Reopen the Resorts: Here is the Schedule (updated)
- Maldives Guesthouses Reopen after COVID-19 closure
- Dhigali Maldives to reopen on 1st Dec as Premium All-Inclusive Resort
- 10 Best Maldives luxury Resorts with Tennis courts
- Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa shines with World Luxury Awards and Hotel of The Year Awards
- Baros Maldives: Christmas time on a sublime tropical private island
- Emerald Maldives Resort hosts Christmas with a Tropical Twist
- The Standard Huruvalhi Maldives reopens Dec 5 with special offers
- OZEN RESERVE BOLIFUSHI is Opening on 3 December
- Tipsarevic Luxury Tennis at Vakkaru Maldives brings some of the world’s best tennis players to idyllic Baa Atoll
- Liveaboards and Diving safaris in Maldives now provide In-Vessel PCR Test
- Seaside Finolhu’s Crab Shack wins Global Luxury Beachside Restaurant at the World Luxury Restaurant Awards
- Milaidhoo Island announces Maldivian-themed festive celebrations: "Story of Raajje"
- Dusit Thani Maldives launches new local "Dusit Safeeru" experiences
- Why the Maldives is the Ultimate Luxury Getaway
- Vakkaru Maldives Wins Three Times Over at the 2020 World Travel Awards
- Raffles Maldives Meradhoo Announces ‘Extravaganza’ Festive programme
- Kagi Maldives Spa Island Opens
- Maldives Border Miles: All you need to know
- Centara Grand Island Resort to Reopen on 1st December with New Offers
- Huvafen Fushi Epicurean Adventure
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
CruiseDirect is a leading online cruise travel company dedicated to providing customers with better deals than any other cruise website and access to great deals on cruise vacations. Offering special rates and savings on cruise bookings with some of the most popular cruise lines in the world, we are so confident in our cruise packages that each and every deal is backed by a price guarantee. You won't find these prices on other cruise booking sites.
Since 2001, we've helped our customers find the perfect cruise packages and book dream cruise vacations for less. We are a cruise finder and booking website committed to helping you research all your cruise travel options to find a cruise that fits what you're looking for. After you find a cruise the perfect cruise, make your reservation with our cutting-edge booking engine. We are the best site to book a cruise with because we are driven by our passion for cruise ship travel. Book a cruise today and enjoy the excitement of cruising the world with us! Book NOW
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
10 Romantic Dining Experiences
The Maldives is a breathtaking destination with it's paper-white sands, azure lagoons, and seclude island vibes. Dining and romance go hand in hand in the Maldives.The restaurants and destinationRead More
6 Underwater Restaurants
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Liveaboards
Liveaboards in Maldives is the best way to discover underwater world with many must-have tropical SCUBA experiences. Deserted, white sand islandsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelersRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More