Maldives introduces New Airport Departure Tax in 2022
03 January, 2022
Maldives is not the cheapest beach destination in the world, and it will get a mite more expensive from 2022 with the arrival of a new departure tax. Maldives on Saturday introduced a new departure tax for all travellers including tourists.
For travel as of January 1, 2022, a new tiered departure tax will replace the two current charges. As of 2022, passengers can expect to pay the following total amounts in airport fees:
- $60 for non-residents traveling internationally in economy class
- $120 for non-residents traveling internationally in business class
- $180 for non-residents traveling internationally in first class
Since these new fees replace the flat $50 amount you’d pay for any class of service, that means departure fees are increasing by:
- $10 in economy class, representing a 20% increase
- $70 in business class, representing a 140% increase
- $130 in first class, representing a 260% increase
The new departure tax will be waived for passengers with diplomatic immunity, and children under the age of two years. On top of that, residents of the Maldives don’t have to pay these increased fees.
Airlines are responsible for collecting the new departure tax, so they’re being added to the actual ticket costs — you won’t have to pay in person, or anything. This to already be reflected when booking tickets.
The new tax will be waived for passengers with diplomatic immunity and children under the age of two.
In addition, passengers flying out of Velana International Airport (MLE), the country’s main hub, will also need to pay an additional tax known as the Airport Development Fee (ADF) as the same rates as above.
Recent Posts 21.01.2023
- Booking.com Launches Early 2023 Deals: 15% OFF
- New Year, New Scene: Here’s Where to Stay in January in Maldives
- BOOK DIRECT - Best Rate Guaranteed with COLOURS of OBLU resorts collection
- Week in Review: Riverside Adds Crystal Ships, Orient Express' Yacht
- Find the Most Exotic New Spot for Diving in 2023
- Valentine's Day celebration at Oaga Art Resort
- Stats: 69% of Travelers Actively Seeking Sustainable Travel Options
- Things to Do for Couples at Vakkaru Maldives this February
- Minor Hotels names Michael Parker as GM of three Maldives resorts
- Hanimaadhoo International Airport Expansion Project launched
- Discover a Sanctuary for the Serene Wonders: Madifushi Private Island Officially opens
- Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives announces New Beach Villa for Group vacation
- Viking Releases Details of New 2024-25 World Cruises
- 10 reasons to be in Bangkok next month
- Plan a Stress-Free Romantic Escape: Feel the Tropical Romance at Atmosphere Kanifushi
- Healthy Eating: Lantern Bar at Atmosphere Kanifushi Maldives resort
- Share the Love this Valentine’s Day at Amilla Maldives
- Winter Cocktails that will Get You Feeling Festive: recipes from Coco Bodu Hithi
- Still Dreaming? Awaken to 2023 with Huvafen Fushi!
- CROSSROADS Maldives launches direct Transfers from Hulhumale
- 5 Eco-Tourism Experiences in the Maldives
- Total Escape: Bhutan Like Never Before with COMO Hotels and Resorts
- Find Winter Sun with Atmosphere Hotels & Resorts
- Where to Spot an Indian Celebs in The Maldives
Maldives, the most dispersed country on the planet with 1,192 islands spread over roughly 90,000 square kilometres, already has 14 airports, including five international airports. Honeymoon islands with white sandy beaches and beautiful blue lagoons surrounded by turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean pleasing to the eye already on the airplane board before landing at one of the airports of the Maldives.
Over a million tourists from across the globe visit the Indian Ocean island nation every year to holiday in one of the 120 resorts and 300 plus guesthouses located in all corners of the country. The multi-billion dollar tourism industry, which is the country’s main economic activity, relies heavily on the domestic transport infrastructure, especially air travel. Read More
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More