A Good news: Travelers Intend to Cruise in the Upcoming Year Reports Cruiseline.com and Shipmate Survey
Luxury Cruise Guide
03 August, 2022
Cruiseline.com and Shipmate have released the results of their “2022 Member Survey”. This survey presented a unique data set as we look ahead at cruising next year, with most major lines having all of the vessels in their fleet back at sea. In addition, it provides insight into consumer confidence in cruising at this pivotal time for the industry and traveler purchase and planning habits.
Questions in the survey centered on participants’ cruise history, intent to cruise within the next year, and preferred travel booking preferences. The majority of survey participants were frequent cruisers, with 69 percent reporting they have previously been on at least seven or more sailings; 17 percent with four to six cruises; 8 percent having taken two to three cruises; and 3.5 percent having taken at least one cruise. Over 60 percent of all participants reported previously cruising with Carnival Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean, over 40 percent have sailed with Norwegian Cruise Line, and over 30 percent with Princess Cruises. A chunk (89 percent) of participants have cruised in the Caribbean region, with other previously cruised destinations being Alaska, Pacific Coast (Mexico) and Europe.
Of the travelers participating in this survey, 91.4 percent reported they plan to take a cruise within the next year; 2.5 percent said they would not cruise in the next year; and 6.1 percent were undecided if they would cruise in the next year.
“The numbers from our survey clearly show that travelers are feeling comfortable in cruising once again and are taking the next steps of researching and booking upcoming voyages,” said Jamie Cash, general manager, Cruiseline.com. “Despite many obstacles, the cruise industry has come a long way in the last year, and this data provided by our community shows that the consumer demand for cruising is strong.”
Of the 91.4 percent who marked they intend to cruise within the next year, respondents shared more data on upcoming travel plans:
- When: Over 34 percent of participants will cruise within the next two to four months, 30 percent will cruise in the next five to 12 months, and under 30 percent have cruises booked within the next 60 days. Forty-six percent of these travelers have between two and four upcoming sailings booked.
- Cruise line booked: 37.9 percent will sail with Carnival Cruise Line, 35.9 percent with Royal Caribbean International, 21.45 percent with Norwegian Cruise Line, 17.5 percent with Celebrity Cruises, and 17 percent with Princess Cruises. Coming in just behind these lines in booking/intent was Holland America Line, MSC Cruises, Disney Cruise Line and Virgin Voyages.
- Duration of cruise booked: 13.4 percent indicated they are booking four- to six-day cruises and 42.5 percent of travelers will cruise on a seven-night voyage. While 31.5 percent will sail between 8 and 14 days, 10 percent report they will cruise for 15+ days. Short cruises of three days or less only accounted for 2.6 percent of future cruises booked.
- Destination of cruise: 54.6 percent plan to cruise in the Caribbean, 36.1 percent in Europe, 31 percent in Alaska and 21.7 percent will cruise in Hawaii. Other intended cruise destinations include Canada/New England, Mexico (Pacific Coast), Bermuda and Australia/New Zealand.
- Number of future cruises booked: 46 percent of this group have two to four cruises booked, 28.5 percent have one cruise booked, 13 percent have zero cruises booked, 8.6 percent have five to seven cruises booked, 3.6 percent have eight or more booked and the remaining .3 percent responded with varying numbers booked.
The survey also studied the 6.1 percent of those who reported they were undecided about cruising and the 2.5 percent who said they would not cruise in the upcoming year. This group was labeled the “Cruise Sideliners.”
Over 38 percent said the vaccine requirements stopped them from cruising this year. Additionally, 18.2 percent of travelers reported they were “Not Ready to Cruise Yet (but May in the Future).” Over 16 percent reported that finances were limiting them from cruising at this time; 10 percent of travelers said that they do not feel safe cruising; and 9.5 percent reported time as a limiting factor for not cruising. The remaining percentage listed other health and safety protocol, finance-related and previously booked year-plus voyages as reasons they did not intend to cruise this year.
A majority of this group said that as an alternative to cruising, they plan on: vacationing at a hotel/resort (55.5 percent), flying/driving to see friends/family (50.4 percent), having a staycation (36 percent), or traveling via RV/camper (18.2 percent).
The growing segment of river cruising was also surveyed: 90.7 percent of participants reported they had never taken a river cruise; however, 61.2 percent said they would consider river cruising in the future. The most considered river cruise lines include Viking River Cruises (78.9 percent), with other line interests for AmaWaterways, Avalon and Emerald Waterways.
Respondents were asked about cruise booking preferences to learn about travel purchasing trends and 43.8 percent reported they book cruises six to 12 months ahead of sailing; 29.1 percent book 12-18 months out; 16.5 percent book three to five months out, 7.4 percent book 18+ months in advance, and only 3.2 percent report they book less than three months out from cruising.
The bulk of responders book using a travel agent or direct with the cruise line, with 32.3 percent booking with a travel agency in person or via phone, and another 9.4 percent book via a travel agency website. For those that prefer direct with the cruise line, 26.5 percent prefer phone or PVP, while another 28.6 percent prefer online.
For more information visit Cruiseline.com.
Recent Posts 29.07.2022
- Ponant Unveils Le Ponant Following Complete Refit
- Cruise around the world with Silversea
- Virgin Voyages to Remove Pre-Embarkation Testing for COVID
- MSC Seascape to Offer New, Interactive Onboard Experiences
- Silversea Cruises Acquires Crystal Endeavor
- Princess Cruises to Begin Year-Round Sailings from Los Angeles in 2023
- Coral Expeditions Launches Voyages to Japan and the Philippines
CruiseDirect is a leading online cruise travel company dedicated to providing customers with better deals than any other cruise website and access to great deals on cruise vacations. Offering special rates and savings on cruise bookings with some of the most popular cruise lines in the world, we are so confident in our cruise packages that each and every deal is backed by a price guarantee. You won't find these prices on other cruise booking sites.
Since 2001, we've helped our customers find the perfect cruise packages and book dream cruise vacations for less. We are a cruise finder and booking website committed to helping you research all your cruise travel options to find a cruise that fits what you're looking for. After you find a cruise the perfect cruise, make your reservation with our cutting-edge booking engine. We are the best site to book a cruise with because we are driven by our passion for cruise ship travel. Book a cruise today and enjoy the excitement of cruising the world with us! Find Great Cruise Deals
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More