Amilla Maldives becomes World’s First Resort verified for Disabled Accessibility by IncluCare
Maldives Hotels and Travel guide
24 December, 2022
Amilla Maldives Resort and Residences has successfully become the world’s first IncluCare Verified resort with the facilities and training to be able to welcome guests with a range of physical and sensory disabilities.
IncluCare is a UK-based organisation that offers inclusive and accessible travel training, assessment and accreditation for the tourism industry. One in five people globally have a significant mental or physical disability and global spending power of the disabled market is an estimated USD 10 trillion per year, according to IncluCare.
The announcement about Amilla Maldives, a five-star resort in Baa Atoll, was made on November 28th at a special event held at London’s Great Scotland Yard hotel, which has now become the IncluCare’s first certified hotel.
The evening featured a panel discussion around how travel and hospitality professionals can help drive accessibility and inclusion to the top of the agenda for the travel and media industries. Condé Nast Traveller’s sustainability editor, Juliet Kinsman, chaired the panel discussion. IncluCare founder, Richard Thompson, was joined on the panel by Ed Warner, founder of award-winning accessible design specialists, Motion spot, as well as representatives of Amilla Maldives Resort and Residences and Great Scotland Yard Hotel.
The panel heard how disabled people stay longer, spend more money and often travel with support, yet the vast majority of hotels worldwide are not compliant with existing legislation regarding accessibility and inclusion. The verification of Amilla Maldives and Great Scotland Yard Hotel provides proof that if it can be done on a remote coral island in the Maldives and an historic listed building in one of the world’s oldest and largest cities, it can be done anywhere.
“In a world awash with certifications, and hundreds in the travel sector alone, IncluCare stands for a really significant seal of approval — verified accessibility and inclusivity. We still have a long way to go when it comes to the hotel industry offering experiences that everyone can book, whatever their abilities, and this sets a really important benchmark in terms of sustainability and responsibility which I hope will inspire more hotels to do the right thing when it comes to considering all the needs of every potential guest.” — Juliet Kinsman, Sustainability Editor, Condé Nast Traveller.
Amilla Maldives Resort’ cerification by IncluCare has prompted interest from the government of the Maldives, including a visit from the Minister of Gender and Family, Aishath Mohamed Didi, who is also responsible for disability rights. She is now campaigning for legislative change to improve access and inclusion provision for Maldivians.
There are estimated to be at least 2,000 people with disabilities in the Maldives who are currently highly unlikely to be able to get a job. Amilla Maldives is exploring how they could implement changes in the Heart of House (staff area) in order to create an inclusive workplace that would open up job opportunities for disabled people.
EARLY BIRD FLASH OFFER 2023: 40% discount on water villa rates plus complimentary Half Board meal plan for standard occupancy and accompanying children in Water Pool Villa categories. Upgrade HB to Dine Around All-Inclusive (DAI) for $100 per adult and $50 per teen/child, per night.
Recent Posts 03.02.2023
- Booking.com Launches Early 2023 Deals: 15% OFF
- Best pick for when you’re planning Maldives Family Adventure: Anantara Kihavah
- Stories: COMO Hotels and Resorts, February 2023
- From Romantic escape to Wellbeing experiences and other COCO news this month
- Jumeirah Maldives unveils love in bloom Valentine’s Day experiences
- Paradise Island resort celebrates Green Key award
- Latest News from Kandima, February 2023
- This Is Your Joyful Maldivian Adventure – 20% OFF at VARU by Atmosphere
- Anantara Hotels expand Europe Portfolio with the opening of Anantara Plaza Nice Hotel
- OBLU SELECT Lobigili' beaches is Your ideal castaway in Paradise
- Latest News from Kuramathi Maldives resort, January 2023
- Things to Do on Valentine's Day at Alila Kothaifaru Maldives resort
- CROSSROADS Maldives launches Free Transfers from Male, Hulhumale
- Mastercard announces launch of its Priceless programme in Maldives
- Angsana' Maldives resort relaunches as Dhawa Ihuru
- Sustainability technology at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
- Discover the taste of Bangkok’s Haoma at W Maldives this February
- Rooftop dining experience with the new menu at Maagiri Hotel’ Peak restaurant
- Explore + Relax: A great way to unwind at Dhigali Maldives
- Green side of Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon
- Why sustainability is key of success at The Nautilus Maldives
- It's Time for New journey: Discover Your Dream Vacation with Dusit Thani Maldives
- Sri Lanka Bucket List: Best Things to Do with Anantara Hotels
- The Ritz-Carlton Maldives hosts Michelin star events this February
- Where to Feel the Love: VALENTINE’S AT OZEN
- Valentine's celebrations: Festival of romance at Hurawalhi Maldives
- Amilla Maldives resort unveils Intimate Self-Service Wedding Venue
- Find Winter Sun with Atmosphere Hotels & Resorts
- Where to Spot an Indian Celebs in The Maldives
Amilla Maldives Resort and Residences
Best Experience: Family, Couples, Dining, Wellness, Diving
Featuring more flexible approach to tropical island luxury, Amilla Maldives resort offers a luxurious 'island home' for both couples and families in the Maldives. Known as The Island of Surprises - younger, hipper, with a fresh and contemporary accomodation, the resort has so much to offer, from high design and inventive dining options, to stylish villas and amazing snorkelling and diving. Located in the Baa atoll, UNESCO Biosphere reserve, this might just be the most family friendly resort in the Maldives. The island is renowned for its constant evolution, ingenuity, playfulness and innovations, from its new Maldivian traditional medicine-inspired spa treatments to ‘glamping’ in a bubble pod under the stars.Read More
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More