Wellness this Month at Amilla Maldives
Most Popular Vegetarian-Friendly Resorts in the Maldives
20 August, 2022
Coconut oil was used for centuries in the Maldives in oil lamps, traditional ‘Dhivehi Beys’ herbal medicine, and to help make hair oil, soap, shampoo and moisturisers. And now the wider world is waking up to the incredible benefits of this new ‘new’ superfood and beauty hack.
Benefits of Coconut
With over 2,500 coconut trees at Amilla Maldives Resort and Residences, we decided to harness the ‘bounty’ (pun intended) of our coconuts by creating The Nut. The Nut is our new coconut processing facility. The coconut ‘meat’ is used to create unrefined cold-pressed organic coconut oil for the resort’s kitchens and our Javvu Spa. The flesh is used by our chefs in their delicious dishes such as Coconut Mushrooms from our Vegan Wellness Your Way menu in Fresh Restaurant. Not one single part is wasted, as even the husks are used for garden compost.
Models and stylists extol the virtues of using coconut oil on your hair between washes to help restore moisture and shine, while us mere mortals at Amilla can also attest it’s a lifesaver for transforming sun-frazzled hair.
Coconut oil is a great moisturiser and is also excellent for make-up removal. Just dip a cotton wool ball into a jar of it and smooth it over your face. It helps trap moisture beneath the skin surface and is mildly antibacterial.
Virgin coconut oil is packed with skin-nourishing fatty acids and polyphenols, and is an excellent carrier oil for massage. We mix it with our Javvu Spa’s divine blends of essential oils that are then used in massages and for making bath products at the Alchemy Bar.
Organic unrefined coconut oil adds a subtle layer of flavour to dishes and is highly resistant to oxidation at high heat. It’s better for you than cheap blended hydrogenated vegetable oil. It’s also thought to help raise your ‘good’ cholesterol and change your ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol into a benign subtype.
A little bit of coconut fat helps to balance your blood sugar levels and suppress cravings, so you’re less likely to binge on unhealthy treats. It’s already an integral part of the keto lifestyle. In one clinical study, 40 adults with obesity were asked to add 30ml of coconut oil per day to their diets. Within 12 weeks they found significant reductions in waist circumference.
We’re thrilled that by using Amilla’s bounty of coconuts it helps further enhance our Homegrown@Amilla and Homemade@Amilla programmes. Maybe you can try some of these ideas at home too.
300g sliced assorted mushrooms
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 sprig rosemary
½ small onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
100ml coconut cream
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Saute the onion, garlic and mushrooms in extra virgin olive oil with the rosemary. Once browned, add coconut cream and yeast and reduce heat, stirring until the cream and yeast are incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Turn off heat and serve with your favourite sourdough or almond bread.
Amilla Maldives is noted for its wellness menus which are available alongside the main menus at every restaurant on the island. They offer guests a chance to keep up with their healthy eating lifestyles (or embark upon a new one), whether that may be keto, paleo, or any number of ‘eating lifestyles’. In 2021, Amilla was winner of Wellness Cuisine of the Year in the Destination Deluxe Awards.Check Availability and Prices
Recent Posts 03.02.2023
- Booking.com Launches Early 2023 Deals: 15% OFF
- Best pick for when you’re planning Maldives Family Adventure: Anantara Kihavah
- Stories: COMO Hotels and Resorts, February 2023
- From Romantic escape to Wellbeing experiences and other COCO news this month
- Jumeirah Maldives unveils love in bloom Valentine’s Day experiences
- Paradise Island resort celebrates Green Key award
- Latest News from Kandima, February 2023
- This Is Your Joyful Maldivian Adventure – 20% OFF at VARU by Atmosphere
- Anantara Hotels expand Europe Portfolio with the opening of Anantara Plaza Nice Hotel
- OBLU SELECT Lobigili' beaches is Your ideal castaway in Paradise
- Latest News from Kuramathi Maldives resort, January 2023
- Things to Do on Valentine's Day at Alila Kothaifaru Maldives resort
- CROSSROADS Maldives launches Free Transfers from Male, Hulhumale
- Mastercard announces launch of its Priceless programme in Maldives
- Angsana' Maldives resort relaunches as Dhawa Ihuru
- Sustainability technology at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
- Discover the taste of Bangkok’s Haoma at W Maldives this February
- Rooftop dining experience with the new menu at Maagiri Hotel’ Peak restaurant
- Explore + Relax: A great way to unwind at Dhigali Maldives
- Green side of Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon
- Why sustainability is key of success at The Nautilus Maldives
- It's Time for New journey: Discover Your Dream Vacation with Dusit Thani Maldives
- Sri Lanka Bucket List: Best Things to Do with Anantara Hotels
- The Ritz-Carlton Maldives hosts Michelin star events this February
- Where to Feel the Love: VALENTINE’S AT OZEN
- Valentine's celebrations: Festival of romance at Hurawalhi Maldives
- Amilla Maldives resort unveils Intimate Self-Service Wedding Venue
- Find Winter Sun with Atmosphere Hotels & Resorts
- Where to Spot an Indian Celebs in The Maldives
Amilla Maldives Resort and Residences
Best Experience: Family, Couples, Dining, Wellness, Diving
Featuring more flexible approach to tropical island luxury, Amilla Maldives resort offers a luxurious 'island home' for both couples and families in the Maldives. Known as The Island of Surprises - younger, hipper, with a fresh and contemporary accomodation, the resort has so much to offer, from high design and inventive dining options, to stylish villas and amazing snorkelling and diving. Located in the Baa atoll, UNESCO Biosphere reserve, this might just be the most family friendly resort in the Maldives. The island is renowned for its constant evolution, ingenuity, playfulness and innovations, from its new Maldivian traditional medicine-inspired spa treatments to ‘glamping’ in a bubble pod under the stars.Read More
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More