Importance of Kuredu’s Seagrass Meadows
Maldives Scuba Diving Guide
24 May, 2022
Kuredu Resort boasts an enviable location, not just in the Lhaviyani Atoll but in the whole of the Maldives – the nations largest population of green sea turtles lives on the reefs around the island.
The crystal clear waters surrounding Kuredu Resort Maldives have white, sugar-soft sand and lush, thriving seagrass meadows beneath them – a sanctuary that is abundant with life, making the diving and snorkelling at the resort incredible.
In the sunlight the emerald green of the seagrass is mesmerising as it gently sways with the wave movement, and when snorkelling or diving above it, it can seem as if there is a mini enchanted forest beneath you, full of fascinating creatures.
The best locations to spot the turtles
Seagrass meadows are important ecosystems in the Maldives, not only do they prevent beach erosion, they provide a nursery ground for numerous fish species and food for endangered green sea turtles which eat up to an astonishing 2kg of seagrass per day.
Lhaviyani Atoll is home to large, healthy seagrass meadows and, thanks to these, the Maldives’ largest community of green sea turtles thrive here. Marine biology studies have shown that Kuredu’s 4 hectares of seagrass supports a green sea turtle population of 76 individuals!
Despite the many benefits of seagrass meadows, globally, like coral reefs, they are under threat by dredging, trawling, pollution and even removal. Turtles are much-loved by our snorkelers and divers and it’s important to realise that we have the seagrass meadows to thank for the numerous sightings we have of these endangered creatures. Maintaining this healthy seagrass meadow aids not only the survival of our marine life but also protects Kuredu’s beautiful beaches.
Be sure to pay our seagrass meadows a visit during your stay with us – join the Kuredu Turtle Search with Marine Biologist or explore with your snorkel buddy.
Since November 2017 Kuredu has hosted a sea turtle biologist. The marine biologist works for the ‘Olive Ridley Project (ORP)’, a sea turtle conservation organisation. The mission of ORP is to protect sea turtles and their habitats through rescue and rehabilitation, scientific research, and education and outreach. The work carried out on Kuredu is a big part of this conservation effort.
Emily, the resident marine biologist, monitors the turtle population around Kuredu and in the rest of the Lhaviyani Atoll using photo identification. By recording sightings of turtles and the behaviour around humans, she provides a data set which can help in understanding more about the turtles’ biology in the Maldives. Since Kuredu is also a nesting site for green turtles, the marine biologist also monitors the turtle nests and assists the hatchlings if necessary. The data recorded by Emily is crucial to implementing laws protecting these endangered marine reptiles in the Maldives.
If your interest has been sparked and you want to learn more about what Emily and the Olive Ridley Project do please visit Olive Ridley Project
Recent Posts 10.03.2023
- Booking.com Launches Early 2023 Deals: 15% OFF
- Hard Rock Hotel Maldives launches 'Rock & Soul Month' – the Ultimate Wellness and Lifestyle experience
- Best of both worlds in Dubai with Anantara
- Experience Maldives by Art at Grand Park Kodhipparu
- A New Wellness Experience at Anantara Kihavah
- Crown & Champa Resorts: What's new? March 2023
- Raffles Maldives Meradhoo welcomes wellness practitioner Ranjith Saj
- Top hotel deals and offers to book for Eid Al-Fitr in the Maldives 2023
- From MasterChef delights to Easter celebration and other COCO news this month
- ELE|NA at OZEN RESERVE BOLIFUSHI wins World Luxury Spa Awards 2022
- The Nautilus Maldives launches the slumber ritual on World Sleep Day
- Where Kids Stay and Eat Free in the Maldives
- Deep Diving essentials
- COLOURS OF OBLU announces OBLU NATURE Helengeli renovation and rebranding
- LUX Tennis partners with Waldorf Astoria Maldives
- Avani+ Fares Maldives debuts on 1st April 2023 with Pre-Opening Special Offer
- Start Planning: Spring Break 2023 with COMO Hotels
- Constance Festival Culinaire 2023
- Savor the flavors of traditional Japanese cuisine at JW Marriott Maldives
- Latest News from Kandima, March 2023
- Top 5 Free-Spirited Experiences recommended by The Nautilus house masters
- Health events calendar at JOALI BEING for 2023
- Outrigger Maldives Maafushivaru Resort joins World’s Top 100 Elite Properties
- Huvafen Fushi Maldives resort to get revamped
- Explore the culinary wonders of Diamonds Athuruga Maldives
- These Countries Fly Direct to Malé (MLE)
- Maldives Most Booked Hotels
- 10 Maldives resorts to Add to Your 2023 Travel Bucket list
- Where to Spot an Indian Celebs in The Maldives
Kuredu Island Resort & Spa
Best Experience: Couples, Families, Diving, Value, All Inclusive, activities
The most popopular with divers, Kuredu Island Resort & Spa situated on the north reef of Lhaviyani Atoll, an area known for its unrivalled beauty and tropical marine life. With established, laid-back vibe the resort offers guests the ultimate luxury island retreat and is one of the larger islands in the Maldives.
Originally opened in 1989, the island was packed with fun-loving young people that was big on diving and Kuredu offered its guests over-water Sangu villas. After the island's east end has been added modern 'O' beach villas, and really private Sultan Villas took a place in the heart of Kuredu. It’s loaded with restaurants and bars (14 in total) and has plenty of space for large amenities like a soccer field, golf course, two spas, and three pools. Kuredu isn’t as intimate as some smaller resorts, and it’s a pricey, 45-minute flight from Male. Still, affordable rooms and impressive food make Kuredu an outstanding overall value; travelers will be hard-pressed to find a better upscale resort especially one offering all-inclusive packages that include alcohol at these rates.Read More
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
The Maldives’ Hottest Luxury Hotel Openings for 2022
hese are the hotel openings in the Maldives is most excited for in 2022 for planning your next luxurious getaway Read More
10 Most Affordable Water Villas
While it may never be cheap to visit thу Maldives, fortunately there are still some chic and relatively affordable overwater villas you can stay. Read more
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More
Maldives Diving Guide
The life of these paradise islands below the Indian Ocean's level is the main draw attracting thousands of divers Read More