Best Experience: Couples, House Reef Snorkeling, Diving, All Inclusive, Beaches
Updated September, 2019
Paradise for divers and fans of snorkeling, Sandies Bathala is a new all-inclusive resort that today changed its management and returned to its roots. Perfectly placed to explore the North Ari Atoll’s spectacular underwater world, brand new for 2019, Sandies Bathala offers a great-value Maldivian experience just a 15-minute scenic seaplane ride from Malé airport, and it has long been a popular spot with divers from all around the globe. It seems that he will again be strong and healthy under Planhotel Hospitality Group.
The private island id third resort of the Sandies Resorts brand, a 4-star hotel, with all the comforts and a simple style, perfect for families, friends and couples as well as diving enthusiasts, who can find the famous Warner Lau Diving Center.
LiveAboard.com Special Deals this week in Maldives
- Honors Legacy - 05 Dec 2020 - from €1,310.00 - Best of Maldives (Male - Male) - Group specials - 30% OFF! Rates include discount. Valid for new bookings only. Inquire for detail.
- Blue Force One - 05 Dec 2020 - from €1,685.00 - Central Atolls Classical Route - Single Cabin Offer - Single supplement reduced to 50% for a private double cabin! Plus 50% off a second consecutive week
- Emperor Explorer - 06 Dec 2020 - from €1,749.00 - The Best of Maldives - €350 Off! Rates include discount
- Adora - 13 Dec 2020 - from €1,462.00 - Best of Maldives - 7Nights/8Days - 15% off
- Emperor Leo - 26 Dec 2020 - from €1,699.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights - €200 OFF! Price includes discount.
- Maldives Aggressor II - 03 Jan 2021 - from €1,718.00 - Best of Maldives (Male - Male) - $1000 OFF! Rates include discount.
- Seafari Explorer - 10 Jan 2021 - from €1,363.00 - The Central Atolls: North Male, Ari, Vaavu and South Male Cruise 7 nights - 15%
- Emperor Serenity - 17 Jan 2020 - from €1,829.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights - €170 OFF! Rates include discounts.
- Horizon 3 - 04 Apr 2020 - from €2,111.00 - Addu – Fuvahmulah - Huvadhoo - Early Bird Deal - 5% off
For most of his life Bathala Island was a German diving island one of the original and the best. Then it attracted many Italians, who preferred a completely different kind of experience. The combination did not work very well, diving disappeared as unnecessary and the nature of the resort changed but not for the better.
With the change of management to the experienced Maldivian company AAA Hotels & Resorts and the new dive center under the leadership of the great Werner Lau, the resort is again focused on generous treats of divers and snorkelers from around the world (though mostly from Germany and the UK).
The island is still preserves a certain naturalness especially of plants and animals but does not give absolutely an air of wild. The bungalows are cozy and kept clean by the Maldivian staff who work efficiently. The resort is perfect, well-kept, elegant while remaining informal. First level diving.
Expect to go everywhere barefoot, including a restaurant and a bar. You also will appreciate the initiative of glass bottles to minimize plastic.
Bathala is located in North Ari Atoll and can be reached either by air taxi or by speedboat. Transfer by seaplane takes about 25 minutes. With a speedboat expect to lose about 1.5-2 hours.
Villas and Rooms
All 73 rooms have been recently renovated. The new renovation has kept its soul, enriching it with charm and style. White masters minimal and functional furnishings. And since the rooms were renovated, the island is also. After years of oblivion, it's certainly great to see flowers bloom again and green vegetation melt, and the island becomes even more attractive. Accommodation options are refreshingly simple; choose to stay in a charming beach bungalow or water villa. There are no TVs in the rooms to help you completely switch off.
Sandies Bathala Maldives offers two room categories for your romantic honeymoon. Whether you want to stay on the soft, powder white sandy beach or in your own oasis over the gorgeous lagoon, the style of accommodation at Sandies Bathala is ultra modern. The contemporary and fresh with white interiors feature splashes of colour from the art work to the furnishings, which are inspired by the surroundings of the Indian Ocean for ultimate island living on your romantic honeymoon in paradise.
The charming Beach Bungalows are placed on the soft white sand with fresh interiors and minimalistic décor for a relaxing ambience on your honeymoon. Each bungalow features a comfy bed.
Located inside the lagoon, the Water Villas are placed on the eastern side of the island and offer a spacious retreat that float the ocean. Inside, the villas feature modern furnishings with stylish white décor and splashes of colour. Each Water Villa includes a terrace with table and chairs and sun loungers for relaxing in the tropical Maldivian sunshine.
The island also has a stunning beach. The sand strip is wide, white and deep almost along the entire island. In fact, all the bungalows offer a beautiful view of the beach and turquoise lagoon, providing ideal places to relax on the veranda in the shade, and just a few steps for sunbathing. Even when the resort is full, the atmosphere around your room seems calm and quiet.
If you prefer a dip in the pool then the infinity pool here is a great spot to cool off.
The hotel's main restaurant, where meals are buffet style serves - the Island Gallery – with a fresh fish barbecue, live cooking stations and local dishes. An à la carte menu is available upon request. The related resorts Filitheyo and Medhufushi can boast excellent cuisine, but Bathala should not disappoint you. The Beach Grill will offer freshly caught seafood specialities and fresh lobster menus in a romantic setting on the beach.
• Breakfast, lunch and dinner at the buffet restaurant, Island Gallery
• Selected drinks including soft drinks, juices, selected house wine by the glass, local beer, American coffee and tea served during meals and at the beach bar from 10am-midnight
• Selected cocktails and spirits only available after 6pm • Snorkelling equipment
• Daily guided snorkelling tour
• Wi-Fi in the rooms, bar and lobby.
The food is great; the buffet offers a wide choice of dishes, the fish is very fresh and the desserts are delicious! The formula is all-inclusive, including alcohol after 6.00pm is a great. Possibility to stock up on snacks at any time. At the Island Bar you can enjoy excellent cocktails served with sympathy by the bartenders, always gentle smiling and ready to challenge you to billiards! Sri Lankan beer is very good. Once a week there is one disco, and other entertainment is table tennis, chess, darts and carr, along with badminton and beach volleyball. Don't forget to join a crowd for a cocktail in the bar while you enjoy a beautiful sunset.
The House Reef Snorkeling & Scuba Diving
Two nearby world-class dive sites are protected marine reserves: the Maaya Thila, which is best described as the "capital of the white reef sharks in the Maldives," and Fish Head with nicknamed is the "capital of the gray reef sharks of Maldives." The latter was also recognized as one of the top 10 dive sites in the world. In addition at least once a week, at the right season, the dive center offers trips to see manta rays and sharks-hammers. READ MORE ABOUT DIVING
The strong point of the resort remains the reef, which was not damaged by the renovation. Bathala's house reef is still considered one of the best and most beautiful in the country. With magnificent coral gardens and a variety of fish in shallow water, it is ideal for an exciting snorkelling.
Independent diving on the house reef is a regular and useful activity, with overhangs and caves. Being inside the channel, the island attracts many big fish rising from the depths and patrolling water around the reef. Common house reef's sights are sharks, eagle rays, tuna, turtles and curious Napoleon wrasse. You can swim with turtles, sharks, batfish, lion-fish, moray eels (even the zebra), sea eagles, giant octopus, stingrays, etc. Bathala also offers night snorkelling for a totally different perspective of the ocean and marine life. Also twice a week the marine biologist will accompany you for a guided snorkeling. Free rental masks and fins. We recommend the excursion with manta rays and sand spit trip.
Things to Do
The island is perfect with excellent snorkeling and diving opportunities and at Sandies Bathala, honeymooners can relish in the exciting underwater world of the Indian Ocean with colourful fish, reef sharks and turtles that are regularly spotted. As well as the house reef, the many diving spot nearby are great to explore as well as stopping off at a secluded paradise island for an intimate picnic for two.
The facilities at Sandies Bathala offer guests a range of activities including the use of free snorkeling equipment, a PADI dive centre, gym, games room, beach volleyball and massage centre. Wi-Fi is also available at this resort.
This and you will obviously soon realize the simple, no-frills resort that provides all the tastes of the original Maldives: solitude, relaxation, snorkelling and diving in a tropical paradise.
Why stay here? What Guests Love
- Resort that allows total Maldivian relaxation, and for those who want to enjoy all the comforts.
- A natural and unspoilt island
- The staff are friendly and helpful
- Beautiful beaches
- Fabulous House Reef snorkeling
- Delicious and varied food
- Fantastic Diving
- Great value, quality All Inclusive
What You Need to Know
Best Hotels in Maldives
Best of Maldives
Recent Posts 24.10.2020
- Veligandu Island announces UP to 25% OFF on 2020 & 2021 stays to fit Your Maldives Escapes
- COVID-19 TRAVEL FAQ (updated)
- Air Travel post coronavirus (updated)
- Maldives to Reopen the Resorts: Here is the Schedule (updated)
- Maldives Guesthouses Reopen after COVID-19 closure
- Yachting in the Maldives with Crown & Champa Resorts
- Cocoon Maldives offers XXL All -Inclusive plan
- Emerald Maldives expands culinary offerings with Russian cuisine
- LUX* South Ari Atoll brings Circus to Maldives this Festive Season
- 10 Most Affordable Water Villas in Maldives
- These Hotels are now Offering Free Covid PCR test in the Maldives
- Experience LUX* North Male Atoll in All-Inclusive Offer
- One & Only Reethi Rah Maldives: Place to celebrate this Christmas
- Joali Maldives wins 2020 Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Award
- Bollywood Star Taapsee Pannu Holidays at Taj Exotica Resort, Maldives
- Hard Rock Hotel Maldives amongst top Indian Ocean resorts
- Waldorf Astoria Maldives and Conrad Rangali Island Welcome Guests with Assurance and Peace of Mind
- The Ritz-Carlton Maldives Appoints Alia Korshykova as Sales Manager
- Huvafen Fushi Epicurean Adventure
- Most Sustainable Luxury Resorts in Maldives
- Top 10 most Remote Luxury Resorts in Maldives
- Choosing room type that's right for You at Waldorf Astoria Maldives
- Must Do Experiences at Constance Moofushi
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
Best Dine By Design Experiences
The Maldives is a breathtaking destination with it's paper-white sands, azure lagoons, and seclude island vibes. Dining and romance go hand in hand in the Maldives.The restaurants and destinationRead More
6 Underwater Restaurants
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Local Islands for Snorkeling
Want to snorkel with manta rays, whale sharks and sea turtles or maybe above scenic house reef on your next budget trip in the Maldives? The Maldives is one of theRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelersRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More