Maldives on a Budget
A small fishing village, Keyodhoo is one of the inhabited islands of Vaavu Atoll in the Maldives. Here the locals live by fishing and crafts, and the settlement itself occupying 90% of the island is composed of colored houses with cozy verandas at the entrance, which are ideal for relaxation, socialization and drying clothes. If you love water adventures, Keyodhoo is a great place to get an unforgettable budget experience of island life, and not just a luxurious holiday in the Maldives.
LiveAboard.com Hot Deals this week in Maldives
- Scubaspa Ying - 10 Oct 2020 - from €1,047.00 - Best of Maldives - Group or charter booking specials available. Please contact us for details.
- Sachika - 17 Oct 2020 - from €1,098.00 - Best of Central Atolls: North Male, South Male, Felidhoo, Ari - %22 off
- Sheena - 18 Oct 2020 - from €1,302.00 - Best of Male and Ari Atoll (Male-Male) - Promo valid for New Bookings only. No Single Supplement for Single Travellers. - %30 off
- Ocean Sapphire - 07 Nov 2020 - from €1,272.00 - Best of Central Atolls: North Male, South Male, Felidhoo, Ari - %15 off
- Blue Force One - 05 Dec 2020 - from €1,685.00 - Central Atolls Classical Route - Single Cabin Offer - Single supplement reduced to 50% for a private double cabin! Plus 50% off a second consecutive week
How to Get: Transfers
Keyodhoo Island is located in Vaavu Atoll, about 80 km south of Male Airport. On the entire space of the atoll there are only two resorts: Alimatha and Dhigghiri. You can get to the Keyodhoo by the ferry or speedboat.
TRANSFER BY VAAVU ATOLL SPEEDBOAT FERRY These leave from Male.
Saturday – Thursday, Malé – Keyodhoo departure 11:00, travel time 2 hours, Price: $60 per person
Saturday – Thursday, Keyodhoo - Malé, departure 16:00, travel time 2 hours, Price: $60 perperson
PUBLIC FERRY, Villimale Ferry Terminal The Route: Male - Maafushi - Fulidhoo - Thinadhoo - Felidhoo - Keyodhoo
Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday, Malé – Keyodhoo departure 10:00, travel time 6 hours, Price: $10 per person one way
Saturday, Monday and Wednesday, Keyodhoo - Malé, departure 08:20, travel time 6 hours, Price: $10 per person one way
PRIVATE TRANSFER, Departure Jetty: Flexible (Airport or Guest Preferred Location)
Duration: 1.5 Hour, Price: $550 for boat
Measured 550 x 260 meters, Keyodhoo Island is a typical Maldivian fishing village with a population of about 500 inhabitants, of which 170 are children. At Keyodhoo in recent years, several guest houses have been built, which are managed by the locals for a couple of European partners. In addition, the island is home to the local administration, a mosque, a handful of small shops, and there are two restaurants and a school, and a local hospital with a Hindu doctor.
Every evening, at sunset, a large place around the harbor, almost empty during the day, turns into a playground for local men, women and children. There are regularly held volleyball tournaments and other traditional games.
In the Rhaveehi Club, next to Keyodhoo Guest House, you can play badminton, billiards or table football for just a few rupees. From time to time, club owners organize cultural events for guests, including the famous Bodu Beru show.
The most popular excursions to uninhabited islands and sandbanks around Vaavu atoll are such islands as Ambara, Bodumohoora, Fotteyo, Hulidhoo, Alimatha Finolhu, and Fotteyo Finolhu.
On the way to these fantastic paradise sites, there are many opportunities to explore the untouched nature of the Maldives, including snorkeling, swimming with whale sharks and manta rays, picnics, dolphin watching.
Facing the sunset, a tourist or bikini beach is located on the west side of the island, a few minutes walk from the island's center. This is a paradise under the sun, where you can sunbathe and swim a bikini in the clear waters of blue lagoon. The beach stretches a wide strip from north to south and is equipped with sunbeds with thatched umbrellas.
Easily accessible for snorkeling, the lagoon has a great house reef with an abundant marine life, including reef sharks, turtles, rays and colorful fish.
Big Game Fishing
If you want to go fishing like a pro, Keyodhoo island is the right place. Jupiter Sunrise Lodge offer fishing tours with their dhoni for a fair price. The boat is fully equipped for all common types of fishing: Jigging, Popping, bottom fishing, trolling, live bait. Usually thei fish the outer reefs of the atolls. Here the escarpment runs at 1000m, then at 2000 m and the surf breaking on the reef (preferred sites for Giant Trevally). Something situation is different in the "Blue Hole", the deep water area of the atolls. Here we have a good chance of Trevally, Jacks, Dogtooth Tuna.
Contrary to the tourist resorts on Keyodhoo fishing is allowed from the bank, and worth a try. Even avid fly fisherman can get their money. The crew have experience with fly fishing but at the moment we don't provide fly fishing equipment. If you book the boat for fly fishing a guide / spotter is always on board.
Things to Do
No exursion on Keyodhoo is complete without the traditional Maldivian dhoni boat. Various guided excursions are on offer and activities that you can individually plan with a your mood. Expect snorkeling, relaxation on white-talcum sands, swimming in crystal clear waters, trips to sandbanks, snorkeling with whale sharks and manta rays, picnic and BBQ on our local beach or desert islands.
A typical list of excursions on the offer:
- for half a day snorkeling or just visiting several sandbanks, with swimming and selfies.
- Picnic for the whole day (09: 00-17: 00) with snorkeling.
- Lunch on a boat or on any beach or island you like.
- Fishing at sunset (from 5 to 7) or early in the morning (from 6 to 8).
- Sunset cruise with an overnight stay on an uninhabited island under a tropical starry sky.
- Big Game Fishing (on request)
Muraka Diving is the only dive center PADI on the island. Standard diving courses, dive trips to the best diving sites of Vaavu Atoll, including Fottheyo Falhu is one of the most beautiful, the longest continuous reef in the Maldives, that literally teems with marine life.
Given that there are at least 5 guest houses on Keyodhoo island - you do not have to starve to death. Each hotel has its own restaurant, where the menu is popular and everyone knows the continental + local, Maldivian food, including fresh fish and seafood - the latter are most recommended, due to the special location of Keyodhoo, as a fishing village. Everything is very delisious and satisfying - a real feast for the eyes and tastes! In addition, there are many opportunities to prepare meals on your own, in the open kitchen of the guest house. In general, culinary adventures are provided to you!
In the village itself you will find a handful of shops selling mostly basic necessities aimed at locals, snacks and drinks.
Where to Stay
Today (2019), Keyodhoo has 5 guest houses. Accommodation according to European standards in the rooms with air conditioning, private bathroom, hot water, TV, wifi, excellent food, and friendly and helpful service - the staff service of mini-hotels Keyodhoo can be appreciated perfectly! Many guest houses, except for breakfast, offer "full board" and "all inclusive" packages, which also include meals and exciting fishing Big Game Fishing.
Recent Posts 20.09.2020
- Reethi Beach Resort reopens with a new room category
- Reethi Faru Resort Opens new Deluxe Beach Pool Villas
- OZEN Reserve Bolifushi appoints Falaaz Ismail as sales director
- 'Work smart' from Paradise at Grand Park Kodhipparu Maldives
- Air Travel post coronavirus (updated)
- COVID-19 TRAVEL FAQ (updated)
- Maldives to Reopen the Resorts: Here is the Schedule (updated)
- Seaside Finolhu Ready to Open Following Exciting Transformation
- Emperor Maldives starts 'Lucky Trip' offer with guaranteed liveaboard spot
- Soneva launches Virtual Wine Tasting
- Must Do Experiences at Constance Moofushi
- The Ritz-Carlton Maldives features new butler concept
- These Hotels are now Offering Free Covid PCR test in the Maldives
- Top 10 Things to Do at Waldorf Astoria Maldives
- The 10 Most Amazing Places for Travel Photo in Maldives
- 10 Reasons You Should Add Waldorf Astoria Maldives to Your 2021 Bucket List
- Maldives Guest Houses to Reopen from 15 October
- 10 Reasons Why We Love Diving Safari in The Maldives
- Soneva Fushi Opens New One - and Two-bedroom Over-Water Villas
- Experience The Ultimate All-Inclusive Holiday at Emerald Maldives
- The Best Local Islands for Budget Family Holiday
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
10 Best Things to Do in Maldives
Our 10 Best Things to Do in Maldives take you straight to the ‘can't miss' marine treasures and an exciting activities found all around the magical islands of Maldives. There are luxury resorts, beachesRead More
10 Best Things to do in Male
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Local Islands for Snorkeling
Want to snorkel with manta rays, whale sharks and sea turtles or maybe above scenic house reef on your next budget trip in the Maldives? The Maldives is one of theRead More
10 Reasons Why We Love Diving Safari in The Maldives
Picking between resort-based or liveaboard diving can leave even the most avid scuba diver confused. But be sure, safari opens up a whole new world of aqua adventuresRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More