Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu
Best Experience: Couples, Beaches, Diving, Value
Updated July, 2020
Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu is a quiet place in the Maldives where you will find luxury, beauty and privacy at reasonable prices. The resort very well takes care of its environment and creates guests all for a 5-star beach experience in tropical paradise. Dhuni Kolhu is ahead of other hotels in its category by quality, design and amenities. This is a top class, but a simple, laid-back package of key Maldives elements - diving, snorkeling, beach, island and accommodation.
Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu is also a Preferred Boutique hotel, part of the Preferred Hotels Group, in recognition of its commitment to unique style and design, superior luxury and service excellence, and sustainability. Half a mile from tip to tip, a private island of medium size is populated with 98 villas. Guests can freely walk between two restaurants, SPA and sports grounds, using shady paths entwining the lush jungle.
Many kinds of activities, hypnotic marine life, and excellent food options put Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu in a row of the upper middle price range in the Maldives. Only 98 rooms, spacious but simple, without internet and TV, and the removal of the island takes 30 minutes by seaplane from Male airport. Snorkeling and scuba diving is awesome and the resort offers a number of fun tours, but there is no pool on the island.
LiveAboard.com Special Deals this week in Maldives
- Scubaspa Yang - 09 Jan 2021 - from €2,014.00 - Best of Maldives - Group or charter booking specials available. (15% OFF)
- Seafari Explorer - 10 Jan 2021 - from €1,363.00 - The Central Atolls: North Male, Ari, Vaavu and South Male Cruise 7 nights - 15%
- Blue Voyager - 12 Jan 2021 - from €1,687.00 - Best of the Southern Atolls (Malé - Kooddoo) - 20% OFF
- Emperor Serenity - 17 Jan 2020 - from €1,829.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights - €170 OFF! Rates include discounts.
- Scubaspa Ying - 13 Feb 2021 - from €2,014.00 - Best of Maldives - Group or charter booking specials available. (15% OFF)
- Blue Spirit - 14 Feb 2021 - from €2,510.00 - Far South (Gan-Kooddoo) - 20% OFF
- Horizon 3 - 04 Apr 2021 - from €2,111.00 - Addu – Fuvahmulah - Huvadhoo - Early Bird Deal - 5% off
The beach is another attraction. Every beach villa has a good bit of sand in front of it. The sand is allowed to move around the island with the seasons, as it should. Consequently a few Beach Villas occasionally need sandbagging or pumping to counter seasonal erosion. The original sand is as fine and lovely as anywhere in the country.
A number of the Beach Villas set right on the beach, without surrounding trees and bushes. This is brilliant for beach views but not great for privacy. For that you are better in the rooms on the west side (the straight side of the D shape). Here the rooms are hidden away and there is a big beach that faces the sunset, though there isn’t direct snorkeling off the beach.
UNESCO Biosphere Reserve
Dhuni Kolhu is not the only resort in the south of the atoll, has discovered a number of very worthwhile thilas. Some specialise in colourful soft corals, others boast sharks and barracudas. Manta rays can be seen all year round at one of the 4 manta points within range and there is a good chance of seeing a whale shark, between June and November, around Hanifaru.
For these reasons, diving is popular here, particularly in the high season. But whether you dive or not, there’s very good snorkeling to be had. The reef drop-off is accessible around the curved part of this D shaped island, although a portion of that is restricted to high tides. It is the Deluxe Villas that have less access to the reef, although they do share one easy access point. My briefsnorkel was impressive: Picasso trigger fish, dark grey sting rays, a turtle, striking parrot fish, a yellow and black box fish, a black tip reef shark and an adult clown trigger fish.
One of the islands is called Embudhoo and for many it crowns the glory of Dhuni Kolhu. You can visit it one couple at a time. One couple during the day with a picnic, another couple stays overnight. In the high season it is booked out day and night, everyday. On the island is just one palm frond hut with 2 string jolis, a pair of rough wooden chairs and a weathered table. Terns flew down to distract us from their eggs laid on the beach. This is as close to nature as most people will ever get.
A trip to Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu starts with (possibly long) waiting at Male airport to catch a seaplane or domestic flight. The 30-minute flight is quite spectacular, especially on the way's final stretch. The hotel is located on its own private island, Dhuni Kolhu, 120 kilometers north-west of Male, in Baa Atoll. Guests can choose from a seaplane transfer directly to the island, or an domestic flight to Dharavandhoo Airport following speedboat ride (35 minutes more). Baa Atoll is a UNESCO world biosphere reserve in the Maldives. Time on the island outstrips Male for one hour, that many resorts use to increase daylight hours.
Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu features 98 delightful thatched villas, either dotted among palm trees offering peaceful tranquillity or on stilts over the lagoon, with spectacular views of the ocean and nearby desert islands.
84 Beach Villas set slightly away from the beach, where each room has direct access to the sand, sun loungers and umbrellas. The island's north-eastern side unfortunately suffers from erosion - the problem is so serious that the beach areas of some villas are decorated with a handful of unaesthetic sandbags. We recommend booking villas on the west side (at sunset), where the beach actually grows or makes an upgrade to one of the 14 water villas. However, Coco Palm still has many picturesque stretches of white sand. The island is very clean, and it will be difficult for you to find at least a drop of garbage anywhere. DOWNLOAD RESORT MAP
Most of the rooms of Coco Palm are scattered on the ground, near the beach. Wise design, simple and spacious rooms with thatched roofs, tiled floors, four-poster bed, white walls and large open bathrooms. Services and facilities: mini-bar, bathrobes, bottled water, and electric kettles with tea. Deluxe villas come with swimming pools. The most chic rooms - in Lagoon Villas, over the water and equipped with free Wi-Fi, stereo, iPod docking stations, whirlpool baths and large terraces with swimming pools. The only rooms with TVs are in the Sunset Lagoon villas, the most expensive and most spacious accommodation on the island (and expensive).
Deluxe Villas facing south with good privacy even on the beach side and with easy access to snorkeling right from the beach. Nestled amid the island’s lush vegetation, the Beach Villas invite you to relax in a spacious bedroom with high-pitched ceiling. The Deluxe villas are complemented with a sunken bath in the open-air bathroom, and a private fresh-water plunge pool on the outdoor terrace. A four-poster bed with mosquito net enhances the romance of the villas. The rooms are are almost identical to Beach Villas.
Located overlooking the ocean, the Beach Villas invite you to relax in a spacious bedroom with high-pitched ceiling and king-size bed. These island rooms are not large, but pleasant, spacious and bright. They have a round shape, uneven plastered, with plain terracotta tiles and conical thatched roofs. They blend well with the environment, bringing forth better feelings. The Beach Villas offer an open air garden bathroom for showers at sunrise or under the stars at night. The private terrace with outdoor seating provides the perfect setting for relaxation just moments from the white sands.
The unique wooden Lagoon Villas offer absolute indulgence for those who are looking for exclusivity and seclusion. Lagoon Villas also feature a comfortable rural style, but are noticeably ahead of the beach accomodation. This style is a kind of hideaway for a Maldivian gentleman. All villas feature delightful rooms with polished wooden floors, an antique tables, ceramic vases, local art elements, a glass bookcase, and a CD player and an espresso machine. But the first villa's couple is very close to the shore, and only half of all face the day sun. On the other hand, snorkeling is most easily accessible from villas facing north. All Lagoon Villas are fitted with Jacuzzi bathroom overlooking the turquoise waters of the lagoon, sunken fresh-water splash pools on the large sundeck, four poster beds and luxurious furniture, fittings and amenities.
2 Sunset Lagoon villas at the end of the jetty are almost twice as large as other rooms on the island and continue the idea of a gentleman's hideaway. This is the height of exclusivity. An indulgence of space featuring a king-size four-poster bed, living room decked with designer furnishings, luxurious ocean-view bathroom with deluxe spa bath and indoor/outdoor showers. Enjoy the private terrace with large sunken fresh water splash pool over the lagoon and outdoor seating positioned for the most stunning views – all in undisturbed privacy. But they are not at all pretentious, rather for fun, and they work really well. Some guests book a second room for the last night, and arrange a barbecue on the deck, with a sip of champagne in the pool and enjoying the privacy and views of desert islands on the horizon. A personal butler is on hand at all times to attend to every need. For complete relaxation, in-villa spa treatments are also available on request. Life doesn’t get more pleasurable than this.
Most of the island's constractions with tall palm roofs and ceilings, and wooden furniture made by local craftsmen. The bulk of guests from Europe and China.
Restaurants and Bars
When it comes to dining, what strikes guests is the architecturally impressive large tent-like pavilions that house the restaurants and bars in Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu. Food in Coco Palm is a hit-or-miss, and generally above average.
The main restaurant, Cowrie features an international buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This restaurant is a huge atmospheric dining room, with a Maldivian tent-like roof and features live cooking stations. International cuisine is served buffet style together with a la carte menus.Breakfasts are included, and guests can upgrade to half-board (dinner) or full-board (lunch and dinner) packages, which are only applicable at Cowrie. All-inclusive packages with alcohol are also available. The All Inclusive package also covers: Complimentary snorkeling equipment (mask, fins, snorkel) per person with unlimited use until departure day; use of non-motorized water sports equipment except for stand-up paddle which is chargeable; one Dhoni Fishing Excursion per person, per stay; all-day access to the fitness gym; ; complimentary coffee, tea, juices, soft drinks, water & internet access in the seaplane private lounge; special occasion celebration cake (if notified in advance). Guests on the All Inclusive package will receive the following in villa benefits: Daily supply of 1 litre of Coco Water; complimentary Wi-Fi internet access for guests staying in Lagoon Villas and Sunset Lagoon Villas.
Cornus Restaurant - Offering romantic dining in a garden setting under the stars, this specialty dining venue serving dishes from Maldives , Thailand, India, as well as other Asian delicacies. Cornus Grill - Open air grill serving freshly grilled Fish and Seafood. Conch Bar - Located on the beach facing sunset and a panoramic view of the lagoon serving a large selection of beverage and snacks. Lagoon Bar -It is built on stilts over the lagoon with a wet area for swimmers, a wading area for romantic sunsets, and a dry area for a limited selection of drinks.
In Villa Dining - Guests can also enjoy private and personalised dining services served in the privacy of their villa.
In addition to the features set out in the overview, guests will also enjoy the following dining benefits when opting for the All Inclusive package: All meals (daily breakfast, lunch and dinner) in sumptuous buffet-style at Cowrie Restaurant; large selection of tea, coffee, soft drinks, juices, water, draught beer and house wine by the glass with all meals at Cowrie Restaurant; lunch and Dinner dine around option at Conch Bar (credit cap applies); dinner dine around option at Cornus Restaurant (Seafood & Thai specialties(credit cap applies)); unlimited access to a wide range of soft drinks, juices, ice cream & water from selected bar beverage menu at the Conch Bar from 10:00 to 00:00hrs; large variety of draught beer, whisky, vodka, rum, gin, house wine by the glass & cocktail of the day from special bar beverage menu at the Conch Bar from 10:00 to 00:00hrs; Unlimited access to a wide range of soft drinks, juices & water from selected bar beverage menu at the Beach Bar from 10:00 to 23:00hrs; extensive assortment of draught beer, whisky, vodka, rum, gin, house wine by the glass & cocktail of the day from special bar beverage menu at the Beach Bar from 10:00 to 23:00hrs; Afternoon tea and coffee with a selection of delectable snacks at the Conch Bar from 15:00 to 17:00hrs.; unlimited in-villa tea & coffee facilities.
Things to Do
For those willing to pay extra the resort offers many special activities. Dolphins watching, snorkeling with manta, big game fishing, scuba diving and excursions to local islands are just some of the exursions. Staff can also arrange private beach dinner or in the villa. A nearby deserted island is available for picnics, overnight excursions, and events. Free Wi-Fi is available in the lobby and main bar, but it’s slow. In-room spa treatments can be arranged upon request. There are also a gift shop and multilingual library in the lobby, and babysitting services are available at reasonable rates with 24 hours notice. In the evenings, expect a movie under the starry tropical sky. On the island there is a marine biologist puzzled by the restoration of corals and the number of turtles. The recreation centre, reception and restaurant are oddly cavernous places and the main bar doesn’t look out to the beach or the sunset but, apart from these quibbles, Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu is a fantastic Maldivian package.
COCO SPA is a tranquil space created to indulge personal desires for beauty, well-being and relaxation. Discover the benefits of treatments from Indonesia, Thailand and India. A collection of Ayurvedic inspired products enhances this truly unique spa experience. If preferred in villa treatments can be also organised.
In 2019 Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu introduced a special Edible Spa Juice Bar to complement treatments offered under its Edible Spa Menu. Last year, Coco Collection launched a unique Edible Spa Menu; a delightful spa menu where the treatments use entirely edible ingredients. From coconuts to cocoa powder, this menu utilises ingredients straight from the kitchen cupboards to create a truly wholesome wellness experience. Treatments from the menu include the decadent Chocolate Cake Scrub, the refreshing Mango Smoothie Mask, and the revitalising Banana Ice Cream Wrap, to name a few. The spa team at the resort has now created a special Edible Spa Juice Bar to complement these treatments. The Edible Spa Juice Bar serves up such treats as the delicious Coco Lassi, made with fresh mangoes, kiwi, honey, and coconut milk — the same ingredients used in the Coco Lassi Face Mask. The Edible Spa Juice Bar also serves Mango Smoothies, Papaya Panna Cotta Juice, Banana Juice, Ginger Tea, Jasmine Tea, and the local staple, Fresh Coconuts.
OTHER SERVICES : Boutique & gift shops, 24-hour reception, laundry and valet
service and excursions. Wi -Fi connection available at Lagoon Villas, Sunset Lagoon Villas, Conch Bar and at Coco Spa lounge.
Reviews for the Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu resort are generally superb, especially for those who researched the hotel before their stay. The setting and service get very high marks, as does the food and the villas. Some felt the drinks and some other things were overpriced, but this is typical of the entire region so it's important to realize before you go that 5-star resorts in the Maldives are not for the budget-conscious. A few previous guests mentioned the lack of an entertainment system in the villas, which is intentionally part of the resort's strategy, as well as weak Wi-Fi signals. Those looking to properly “unplug” should be very happy and impressed by the Cocoo Palm Dhuni Kolhu.
“Wonderful little island”, “Best experience ever!”, “Cozy and beautiful place for a reasonable price”, Family vacation worth doing at least once in your lifetime!”, Family vacation worth doing at least once in your lifetime!”, “Coco Plan exceeded all of my expectations, and I had extremely high expectations!”, “Great, relaxing honeymoon spot.. beautiful beaches and very comfortable accommodation.”, “Excellent Experience.. Extremely courteous and receptive staff.. Thumbs up for the location..”, “Excellent Experience.. Extremely courteous and receptive staff.. Thumbs up for the location..”
Why stay here? What Guests Love
- Location: An amazing barefoot island in a fantastic tropical location with white-sand beaches and a turquoise lagoon
- Friendly and welcoming staff
- Stunning and comfortable villas, clean rooms, (cleaning 2 times a day), no insects.
- Superb snorkeling and diving in Baa Atoll, a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve
- Delicious food. Great buffet for breakfast, lunch or dinner
What You Need to Know
- Download the Coco Safe Pledge
- The resort is located in UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve, Baa Atoll l and is 30 minutes by seaplane from Male airport;
- In order to arrange a smooth connection seaplane from airport to CocoPalm Dhunikolhu, Guests are required to provide their arrival flight number at earliest convenience.
- Check-out at 12 o'clock Check-in at 2 pm;
- All children are welcome, but No kids' club, babysitting services. Children aged 4 years and above are considered adults at this property.
- Most rooms have no Internet access or TVs (pro for some)
- No swimming pool
- All land-based rooms have direct beach access; some rooms have small plunge pools
- Please note the all inclusive package is:
- All meals & selected beverages in main restaurant only
- Special dining experiences are not included.
MALDIVES RESORTS HOT DEALS
- Flash Sale: 55% savings on stays at Kuredu Island Resort. Coupon Code - KURSPO55. Valid till 30th Nov
- The Nautilus Maldives: Book your House or Residence in advance and benefit from 30% off our Best Available Rate.
- Constance Maldives: Up to 50% discount per booking on accommodation on All Inclusive basis.
- Hard Rock Hotel, Maldives: FASHIONABLY EARLY - Save up to 35% off room rates when you book in advance.
- Baros Maldives: BLISSFUL BAROS - Reopening Offer with airport transfers, breakfast and dinner included. Valid for stays between 1 October 2020 to 22 December 2020 and 10 January 2021 to 22 December 2021.
- Cinnamon Velifushi Maldives: 55% Off All Rates Special Offer. Valid for all new bookings received 02 days or more prior to arrival.
- Radisson Blue Resort Maldives: Stay 3 nights and pay for 2 with Mastercard.
- Kudadoo Maldives: Promotion: 20% off Residences for stays from 1 October 2020 until 05 April 2021
- Kagi Maldives Spa Island: Enjoy 40% opening offer for stay until 23rd Dec 2020
- Komandoo Maldives: Enjoy a discount of up to 40% during this festive season, when you book a stay between November 1st 2020, and January 15th 2021.
- Veligandu Maldives: Last Minute Offer – Save 35%* Stay Window from Nov 1, 2020 – Dec 23, 2020. Booking Window from Oct 30, 2020 – Nov 30, 2020.
Best Hotels in Maldives
Best of Maldives
Recent Posts 29.11.2020
- COVID-19 TRAVEL FAQ
- Air Travel post coronavirus (updated)
- Maldives to Reopen the Resorts: Here is the Schedule (updated)
- Maldives Guesthouses Reopen after COVID-19 closure
- Vakkaru Maldives Wins Four Times Over at the 2020 World Travel Awards
- Seaside Finolhu: Playground for Tennis Lovers through Exciting Partnership with LUX Tennis
- Dhigali Maldives to reopen on 1st Dec as Premium All-Inclusive Resort
- 10 Best Maldives luxury Resorts with Tennis courts
- Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa shines with World Luxury Awards and Hotel of The Year Awards
- Baros Maldives: Christmas time on a sublime tropical private island
- Emerald Maldives Resort hosts Christmas with a Tropical Twist
- The Standard Huruvalhi Maldives reopens Dec 5 with special offers
- OZEN RESERVE BOLIFUSHI is Opening on 3 December
- Tipsarevic Luxury Tennis at Vakkaru Maldives brings some of the world’s best tennis players to idyllic Baa Atoll
- Liveaboards and Diving safaris in Maldives now provide In-Vessel PCR Test
- Seaside Finolhu’s Crab Shack wins Global Luxury Beachside Restaurant at the World Luxury Restaurant Awards
- Milaidhoo Island announces Maldivian-themed festive celebrations: "Story of Raajje"
- Dusit Thani Maldives launches new local "Dusit Safeeru" experiences
- Why the Maldives is the Ultimate Luxury Getaway
- Vakkaru Maldives Wins Three Times Over at the 2020 World Travel Awards
- Raffles Maldives Meradhoo Announces ‘Extravaganza’ Festive programme
- Kagi Maldives Spa Island Opens
- Maldives Border Miles: All you need to know
- Centara Grand Island Resort to Reopen on 1st December with New Offers
- Huvafen Fushi Epicurean Adventure
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
Best Dine By Design Experiences
The Maldives is a breathtaking destination with it's paper-white sands, azure lagoons, and seclude island vibes. Dining and romance go hand in hand in the Maldives.The restaurants and destinationRead More
6 Underwater Restaurants
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Local Islands for Snorkeling
Want to snorkel with manta rays, whale sharks and sea turtles or maybe above scenic house reef on your next budget trip in the Maldives? The Maldives is one of theRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelersRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More