5 Ways to protect coral reefs ON WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY and beyond
Maldives Scuba Diving Guide
05 June, 2023
As one of the world’s top scuba diving and snorkelling destinations the Maldives is home to the coral reefs and abundance of marine life that make a trip here unforgettable and Prodivers' team is very fortunate to be placed at the very heart of it. The coral reef is an incredible, yet fragile, environment and we want to do all we can protect it and you can help too by following these simple steps:
- Choose reef-safe sunscreen. Traditional sunscreens are harmful to the reefs, even ‘water-resistant’ varieties wash off and once in the ocean they harm the coral and marine life too. Protect yourself and the reef by choosing to cover up with UV rash guards and ‘reef-safe’ sun protection products.
- Look but don’t touch. Coral reef habitats are extremely fragile and touching them, standing on them or even a small accidental fin kick can cause years of growth to be destroyed. Marine life is much more likely to stick around for you to observe if you stay a respectful distance away and therefore reduce the chance of accidentally touching and harming the reef.
- Have good buoyancy control. Being able to fine-tune depth with breathing whilst diving is not only good for the reef, it’s good for you and your equipment too. Your air consumption will improve, you’ll be much more comfortable in the water and be able to reduce the amount of weight you need, you’ll be able to get closer to the reef while still ensuring no physical contact is made.
- Say no to single-use plastics. The plight of the ocean in terms of plastic debris is well known so if you see litter and it is safe to pick it up please do so. Avoid the use of single-use plastics and take any empty plastic containers home with you where they can be more easily disposed of. Join beach clean-ups at home as well as on holiday – every piece of plastic collected is a piece less in the ocean. The theme for World Environment Day 2023 is ‘Solutions to Plastic Pollution’, bringing to the world’s attention the issue of plastic in the environment.
- Fight climate change. Coral reefs depend on a stable ocean temperature so doing your bit to halt climate change will help. Simple things such as switching off the lights, walking instead of driving and saving water, as well as encouraging others to do the same, will all make a difference.
Let’s all do what we can to protect the coral reefs we love – snorkelling and diving just wouldn’t be the same without them!
- Scuba Diving and Snorkeling in Harmony with Nature
- Liveaboard Special Offers, Last Minute Deals
- 10 Best Liveaboards in Maldives
- 10 Best Dive Resorts
- Dive With Sharks Experience in Maldives
- Baros Maldives expands Sustainable Tourism with launching new Marine Environment hub
- OUTRIGGER Maldives resort appoints New Resident Marine Biologist
Scuba Diving in the Maldives
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays available, which range from budget guesthouses to backpacker-friendly hotels – there are all accomodation available for under USD 50 a night! The Maldives is a fascinating country to travel to independently, not least because it’s only been possible to do so for the past decade.
Scuba diving in the Maldives means diving at one of the worlds best scuba diving destinations, because of the white sand beaches, coral reefs, clear warm waters, dive sites and a thriving and vibrant marine life. Explore excellent dive sites and a collection of underwater gardens. They're abundant with extensive coral reefs and magnificent fish life. It's common to see sharks, turtles, manta rays, whale sharks and a kaleidoscopic range of tropical sea creatures.Read More
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visitingRead More
Best Maldives Resort Offers & Packages
Find out more about the most unparalleled Maldives hotel deals and special rates, when Book Direct your next beach holidayRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotelsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelers Read More
Newest Maldives resorts to Explore in 2023
Here are just 10 of the amazing new resorts in the Maldives that are set to welcome guests Read More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More