Once, back in 1973, when the first two resorts were opened, guests in the Maldives ate fish curries, rice and bananas, and drank food with tea. Just like the native Maldivians. Because that was all that was available.
Today, oddly enough, you can’t get a genuine tuna curry at your table, outside the canteen for staff, but the quality and variety of food available is beyond doubt.
As a rule, you get what you pay for. But it's not always the case. Some resorts invest more effort and resources into their dining options than their star rating can offer. Others invest their resources in rooms and services at the expense of the budget allocated to food. We clearly present this in our resort's reviews in the Maldives.
LiveAboard.com Special Deals (01.03.21) in Maldives
- Horizon 3 - 04 Apr 2021 - from €2,111.00 - Addu – Fuvahmulah - Huvadhoo - Early Bird Deal - 5% off
- Moonima - 04 Apr 2021 - from €1,312.00 - The Central Atolls: North Male, Ari, Vaavu and South Male Cruise 7 nights - (26% OFF)
- Princess Rani - 18 Apr 2021 - from €1,240.00 - Addu - Male - Valid on new bookings only.
- Maldives Aggressor II - 02 May 2021 - from €1,857.00 - Best of Maldives (Male - Male) - Travel the World Special! (25% OFF)
- Nautilus Two - 3 Jun 2021 - from €1,344.00 - Ari and South - €640 OFF on Summer Specials!
- Blueshark One - 5 Sep 2021 - from €1,075.00 - Central Atolls - For New Booking Only. Valid until March 31, 2021
- Emperor Serenity - 12 Sep 2021 - from €1,429.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights - (25% OFF)
Although most guests prefer full board, and most of the rest are ALL INCLUSIVE or half board, there are resorts that include breakfast + bed only. If you are malnourished, you can always upgrade meal plan in these hotels, although guests are expected to dine in the main restaurant - in their rooms or in one of the fine restaurants.
Be warned: food and drinks in the Maldivian resort are either expensive or very expensive. Guests on half board in the evening can go to a specialized restaurant and get a discount - usually in the range of 15% - what could be better. Another half board option allows guests to choose either lunch or dinner in addition to breakfast. This way, guests can still get their two paid meals and eat something special for dinner.
Buffet is a standard meal at the most resorts. They are differ by variety, quality and food presentation. Some resorts have great variety, but it never changes; Other buffet restaurants look good, but the taste leaves much to be desired; Others are unexpectedly excellent, given themed dinners several times a week.
The buffet are ubiquitous because they can satisfy everyone. But you can easily dissatisfy yourself if you mix fish, chicken with curry, lasagna, olives, cheese and a variety of vegetables on the same plate. The key to enjoying the buffet is the continuation of the return. That is, first read what is offered, then take a plate of only one combination of appetizers or main dishes. Then you can keep coming back for a supplement - or for a change - until you are full.
Previously, there were long queues at the buffets or you had to walk along the long line of tables to fill your plate. Today, most resorts have shared this place and have cooking stations for different dishes, meats, salads and bakery. Now there are also some choices with live stations for pasta, seafood, desserts or sizzling fish steaks.
Set plate, a la karte and Theme Night
Set plate is found only on the most affordable and most luxury resorts. In cheap hotels, this is a simple fare, but overall a good and enjoyable break from a round of buffets. In the expensive resorts, guests can enjoy gourmet cuisine at a beautiful table with candles or in an underwater restaurant, and the chef can demonstrate his impressive gastronomic gifts. 10 Best Gourmet Resorts in Maldives
The à la carte restaurants have longer menus that remain unchanged for several days. Most often it is Thai, Italian, Indian cuisine, seafood and grills. They are often located in places with beautiful views, seductively, right on the beach or over-water.
Finally, there are special dinners. For a small additional cost, you can enjoy a barbecue or seafood on the beach. Moreover, it can be a lobster dinner by candlelight for two on the sand, in your villa or in some secluded place. Other tables can be a sandy beach surrounded by water or a desert island. Resorts are very creative in what you want to est and where you can eat it. Check our list of 10 Best Places for Romantic Dinner in Maldives
Maldives can be a very romantic place.
All Inclusive Meal Plan
As the name suggests, all inclusive includes almost everything that you need for your stay. This is breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, soft drinks, and alcoholic drinks. Some resorts will go above and beyond to include extras such as free ice cream, while some will even include a fully stocked mini bar in your room that you can also enjoy free of charge.
It’s the best choice if you really like to enjoy an evening cocktail or sundowner or two, as these can often be rather pricey should you have to purchase them separately. It’s worth double checking the fine print of the package that you are booking just to see what and what isn’t included, as different resorts have different takes on all inclusive packages. For example, some will have cut off times for drinks, while others will only include locally produced alcohol. Others will feature rather generous diamond packages which will include way much more than just drinks and food. Some even offer seaplane or boat transfers, a private butler, gift certificates for the spa, snorkelling tours, water sport activities and the likes. Check our list 10 Best All Inclusive Resorts in Maldives
MALDIVES RESORT Packages, Offers & Promotions
- Crown & Champa Resorts OFFERS: UP to 40% OFF; Hot deals are extended with booking window till 31 March
- Centara Ras Fushi Resort: Save UP to 50%, book till 31 March 2021 - stay Now - 30 April 2022
- InterContinental Maldives: min 4 nights from 1460.00 usd with complimentary return transfers for two and much more benefits
- Accorhotels Maldives: Maldives destination offer
- Baros Maldives: BLISSFUL BAROS offer with airport transfers, breakfast and dinner included.
- Dhigali Maldives: Dhigali Family Escape package - safe at least 48% !
- Anantara Resorts Maldives: Deals start from USD 464
- Constance Maldives: Up to 40% OFF
- Kandima Packages: As low as US$ 400 per night
- Coco Collection: ISLAND ESCAPE Offer - Use the code “ISLANDESCAPE” to get up to 15% off;
- You & Me Maldives: Honeymoon Offer, Repeaters Discount
- Kihaa Maldives: up to 40% OFF Members Only
- Cinnamon Velifushi Maldives: 55% Off All Rates Special Offer from $337.
- Reethi Faru Resort: TWO BEDROOM SUITE FAMILY PACKAGE
Best Hotels in Maldives
Best for Budget Trip
Best Resorts in Maldives
Recent Posts 04.03.2021
- COVID-19 TRAVEL FAQ
- Air Travel post coronavirus (updated)
- Maldives Guesthouses Reopen after COVID-19 closure
- Enjoy Fantastic Vacation in Maldives 2021 with Crown & Champa Resorts special offers
- Anantara Kihavah unveils collection of Luxury Private Pool Residences
- The Ritz-Carlton Maldives has announced its partnership with Jean-Michel Cousteau
- OZEN LIFE MAADHOO hosts Indian Celebrity wedding
- LUX* Maldives Luxury Resorts announces new appointments
- Amilla Maldives celebrates Easter in collaboration with Ministry of Crabs
- 5 Romantic Ways to enjoy Mirihi Island
- 10 Luxury Hotels in Maldives for Solo Travelers
- Discover an Unique places to Stay in the Maldives
- Maldives named world’s most Instagrammed tourist location
- Vakkaru Maldives welcomes innovative Wellness specialist Domingos Folgado
- Experience the Maldives Best Vacations on board Luxury private yacht
- Most Romantic Luxury Vacation Deals in Maldives You Don't Want to Miss
- Enjoy your Vacation in Paradise with this 10 Free Transfer offers
- 10 Best Hotels in Maldives for Under $200 per Night
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
10 Romantic Dining Experiences
The Maldives is a breathtaking destination with it's paper-white sands, azure lagoons, and seclude island vibes. Dining and romance go hand in hand in the Maldives.The restaurants and destinationRead More
6 Underwater Restaurants
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Liveaboards
Liveaboards in Maldives is the best way to discover underwater world with many must-have tropical SCUBA experiences. Deserted, white sand islandsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelersRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More