Maldives Manta Ray Hot spots
Best Places to see Manta Rays in the Maldives
Diving or snorkeling with Manta Rays is one of the most breath-taking experiences a diver can have underwater. An incredible, nearly otherworldly adventure in the Maldives, seeing mantas is high on most people’s bucket list turning a regular dive into an unforgettable one.
One of the largest, graceful and gentle creatures in the ocean once you see Mantas up close and personal, you are mesmerized, and instantly fall in love to what is happening. The sea devils are not just fish; they are a symbol of majesty, elegance and freedom.
These majestic creatures, a member of the shark & ray family, can up to 7m in wingspan and can weigh up to 2 tonnes in weight! However, they feed on tiny zooplankton, funnelling it into their mouths using 2 large lobes at the front of their head. Despite their size, these beautiful creatures are incredibly graceful in the water, and even playful, swimming in and out of exhaled bubbles and barrel rolling mid-water to show off their elegance.
Manta Rays in the Maldives can generally be found at 'cleaning stations', where schools of cleaner wrasse hang out waiting for larger fish to swing by for a clean-up.
With great variety of dive sites in the Maldives to pick from, it’s an not an easy bet to be at the right place at the right time. If you want to see these majestic creatures, we can tell you best places in the Maldives where you have a good chance to encounter Manta Rays.
The highlight to the Baa Atoll UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, the world-famous Hanifaru Bay is a vital feeding and breeding ground for manta rays and whale sharks in the Maldives; you have an excellent chance of seeing these incredible sea giants while snorkelling here.
While diving in the bay is banned, swimming with manta rays is a remarkable, once-in-a-lifetime experience that snorkelers of all abilities should not miss out on. Watching from above as they glide, swoop, swerve and somersault just metres beneath you is one of life’s truly spectacular experiences.
Find the Best Hotels Closest to Hanifaru Bay
The reefscapes of Addu atoll is no doubt one of the most impressive in the Maldives. Blessed by the dive sites with the best hard corals, Addu Atoll is the best place for scuba diving with giant manta rays (with 12 months a year) and more pelagic species in Maldives. Read more
Lankan Manta Point
Easy to access and adapted to newbies, Lankan Manta Point is a dive site among the most well-known Manta rays cleaning station in the Maldives.
Located on the southeast outer reef of Lankanfinolhu Island in North Male atoll, this site is the large block of coral at a depth of 10 to 18-meters is where the rays come during the southwest monsoon and outgoing currents to get cleaned by wrasses. Even though Mantas are the main reason divers and liveaboards come to Lanka Manta Point, you can also encounter whitetip sharks, lobsters and humphead wrasses there.
Find the Best Hotel deals in North Male atoll
Located in Kukulhudhoo channel on the southwestern edge of Raa Atoll, the cleaning station is reef top starts at 10 m, the Manta point itself is on 15 m offering an incredible diving with this filter feeders 12 month a year. Featuring an outer reef with shallow plateau surrounded by a quite steep slope reef Sola Corner remains the manta-spotting hub, with sightings of up to 5 or 7 mantas at a time. In addition to the spectacular macropredators, you can spot white-tip sharks and nurse sharks in Sola Corner. Difficulty: From easy to medium dive experience.
Find the Best Hotels in Raa atoll
Iguraidhoo, Koen’s Dream
Featuring a large coral block at a depth of 5 meters that slopes down to a sandy bottom at 25 meters, Iguraidhoo is an uninhabited Island and a feeding station for manta rays. Located on the south-east reef of Raa atoll is also crowded with glass fish, emperors, oriental sweet lips, cleaning fish and white-edged soldier fish.
Koen’s Dream thila makes dreams come true for beginners and advanced divers alike. Huge manta rays don’t take any notice of the small white tip and grey reef sharks and might be passing by or circling the top reef. Large schools of small barracudas, big eye trevally’s and friendly long fin bat fish make the scenery complete.
With very alive hard corals on the top, Felivaru Corner works its way down to a plateau at 22 meters of depth attracting the manta rays with the current flowing from west to east moves the plankton in higher concentrations along this point when mantas feeding on the surface
Find the Best Hotels in Raa atoll
Located in Lhaviyani atoll Fushivaru Thila is a protected marine park, and is well known for its manta rays. In the right season these gentle giants, with wingspans of up to 5 metres, come here to be cleaned.
Even without the mantas the dive site is true spectacular – you can see huge schools of blue stripe snappers, humpback snappers, oriental sweet lips and collared butterfly fish. Giant trevally and barracuda also patrol these waters, ready to hunt and feast on the smaller fish.
Find the Best Hotels in Lhaviyani atoll
Madivaru (Manta Point)
Also known as Hukuru Elhi Faru, Madivaru (Manta Point) is a recent addition to the protected marine areas of the island nation, and from January until April the site is famous for it’s manta cleaner stations.
The mantas come up from the deeper parts of the ocean where they feed and use the shallower waters of Hukuru Elhi Faru to free themselves of unwanted parasites. During the dive these majestic creatures with a wing span of 3-4 metres hover just dance your head. Located in South Ari atoll the cleaner stations are also used by giant napoleon wrasse.
Find the Best Hotels in Ari atoll
Dhonakulhi Channel is part of the house reef at Hideaway Beach resort and at right time of year it is often full of mantas, gracefully gliding through the water with their mouths open wide to scoop up and filter their plankton feast.
When Manta season is in full swing in the Maldives the channels surrounding the island bring in the nutrient-rich waters that the mantas love to feed in, and the higher concentration of nutrients at this time of year means more mantas! The site is accessible for divers and snorkelers so everyone gets to experience manta mania.
An easy shallow dive for everyone Veligandu Manta point is located in Rasdhoo atoll. There are four thilas between a big thila and the corner of the out reef. Big Napoleon wrasse, stingrays and honeycomb moray eels have found their homes on these Thilas but the main reason why to dive this site are the majestic manta rays. On top of the smaller Thilas are cleaning stations which help the mantas to get rid of their parasites. Such visits most frequently occur when the tide is high.
Vagaaru Garden is close to the local island of Thuraakunu (Haa Alif Atoll), one exceptional manta point, from the beginning of December until the end of May! Ideal for all divers, this full of life reef is quiet shallow and it slopes gently down among luxuriant large table corals and stony corals of enormous beauty!
During this season, when the current flow out from the atoll, the outside reef is full of plenty of huge and friendly mantas all around at three different cleaning stations, from 10 to 14 meters of depth. With the correct current mantas are cleaning on the cleaning station on top of the thila. A haven for macro life and with strong currents large amounts of reef fishes inhabit the reef and give away a whirling show.
Emmadi Giri (Manta point) is in front of the local island Guraidhoo, there are Mantas from May until October.
Divers often refer Dhigu Thila as Manta Point. From June till October flocks of Mantas are visiting a cleaning station located in the midline of Gulhee Dhekunu Kandu in South Male atoll. Gliding with unbelievable elegant movements they are approaching from the drop-off of the channel and stop exactly in front of your eyes. Playing with the current they open their wings to be cleaned by all the little cleaning-fish around the coral block.
With a vibrant display of soft coral on the reef marine life on the thila is prolific with large schools of basslet and snapper and aggregations of bannerfish and sweetlips.
Find the Best Hotels in South Male atoll
Moofushi Manta point
An easy dive site suitable for all levels Moofushi Manta Point says it all, this is where you dive with manta rays. The mantas visit this dive site during north-east monsoon, usually to be maintained in the cleaning station that is located here.
You'lll find it on the eastern corner of a large plateau, where a large block is located at a depth of 16 meters. This is where the manta rays stop to let the 'cleaners' do their job. However Moofushi Manta Point has more to offer than just sea devils. Located in Ari atoll the site also attracts many white and gray reefsharks and napoleon fish.
MAA FARU CORNER
45 minutes away from both Thudufushi and Athuruga, south of Moofushi Island it is currently the best dive site to see the mantas in Ari atoll. It is a clean station located in a the outer edge of the pass. In addition to mantas you can often see gray reef sharks, jack fishes and more sea creatures.
MALDIVES RESORT Packages, Offers & Promotions
- Milaidhoo Island, Baa atoll - 45% OFF (Limited Time Special offer)
- Baros Maldives: BAROS ESCAPE - 40% off - Bed & Breakfast Offer for a stay until 22 Dec 2021
- Huvafen Fushi, Male - 37% OFF Free cancellation up to 7 days before arrival Book now for stays until 22nd Dec 2021
- OZEN Reserve Bolifushi, Male - Save 25% on The RESERVE™ Plan when you book directly
- Hard Rock Hotel Maldives: COME TOGETHER - 35% OFF for a stay until 30 June 2022
- Kuda Villingili Resort, Male: Indulgence Offer! Book minimum 3 nights with'Secret Rate' and get 30% OFF. Stay from 1st Nov 21 onwards
- Anantara Maldives Resorts: Special Offersi
- Kuramathi Getaway: Book your stay with superb savings with flexible 3 days cancellation policy. Rates include daily breakfast, lunch and dinner at the buffet restaurant.
- Crown & Champa Resorts Special offers: Up to 30% OFF for stays till October 31, 2022
- Mirihi Island: Early Bird Winter/Summer offer 2022 up to 35% OFF
- Adaaran Prestige Vadoo: BOOK DIRECT & SAVE MORE - Up to 35% OFF; Flexible cancellation
- Dhigali Maldives: BOOK DIRECT & SAVE MORE Offer
- VIEW MORE MALDIVES LUXURY RESORT OFFERS
Best Hotels in Maldives
Best for Budget Trip
Best Resorts in Maldives
Recent Posts 16.10.2021
- COVID-19 TRAVEL FAQ
- Emerald Maldives Resort Continues to Stand Out with Top Awards in 2021
- Pamper Yourselves at Dhigali Spa with New Christmas Packages
- Kihaa Maldives Opens New Steak House
- Naladhu Private Island Maldives Celebrates Double Win at Conde Nast Traveler award
- Disney Cruise Line to Return to Tropical Destinations in 2023
- Reethi Beach Resort, Baa Atoll Maldives Earn Green Globe's Member
- Fiyavalhu Maldives wins Luxury Boutique Resort 2021
- Ready to Party? Spend Halloween at the first Luxury Music Festival in Maldives
- Virgin's First Miami Cruise, HAL's San Diego Restart
- Anantara Kihavah opens New Family Beach Pool Villas for the Ultimate Family Winter Getaway
- Celestyal Cruises Announces Return to Year-Round Cruising
- Gili goes Pink for October
- Emerald Cruises Is Building Second Superyacht
- Shake Up Your Wellness Routine on Ithaafushi – The Private Island at Waldorf Astoria Maldives
- Carnival announces ship restarts for January and February 2022
- Hurawalhi's Winter Offer 2021 - Save UP to 20%
- Maldives exhibited at the World’s Largest fair, Expo 2020 Dubai
- Shake Up Your Wellness Routine on Ithaafushi – The Private Island
- Niyama Private Islands Maldives to host Surf Week 2021
- Marriott International Plans to Expand Footprint in South Asia
- Tradewind Voyages Announces 2021-22 Caribbean Season
- Emirates takes Expo 2020 Dubai’s message to the skies with its first-ever full aircraft livery
- The Inside Scoop on Silver Moon's Culinary Program
- Win a holiday to Maldives right now with MBM
- Seabourn Names Second Expedition Ship, Reveals Itineraries
- Wellness Trends You Can Practice at JOALI BEING
- The Norwegian Prima Debuts Entertainment and Onboard Experiences
- Style and Substance: New Ships, Fresh Adventures and Top Suites
- Best Maldives Resorts worth to Book Directly
- Paradise Island Resort & Spa Introduces Brand New Infinity Swimming Pool
- Maldives exhibits Luxury Yacht Tourism at Monaco Yacht Show
- Carnival Corporation Plans to Have 50% of Fleet Back by October
- 10 Maldives Islands That Should Be at the Top of Your List
- Flexi Booking with Huvafen Fushi
- Le Méridien Hotels & Resorts lands in the Maldives with Signature Glamourous European Spirit
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
10 Romantic Dining Experiences
The Maldives is a breathtaking destination with it's paper-white sands, azure lagoons, and seclude island vibes. Dining and romance go hand in hand in the Maldives.The restaurants and destinationRead More
6 Underwater Restaurants
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Liveaboards
Liveaboards in Maldives is the best way to discover underwater world with many must-have tropical SCUBA experiences. Deserted, white sand islandsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelersRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More