North Malé Atoll Information
Travel and Local Information Guide
Maldives is a a South Asian sovereign state in the Indian Ocean, consisting of 26 atolls and more than 1190 islands. Each resort (there are more than 130 of them) is located on a separate private island, providing peace and quiet, as well as easy access to blue waters and incredible marine life.
The main air gateway of the Maldives Republic is Velana International Airport (MLE), located in North Male's Atoll southern corner on the island of Hulhule in a 5-minute boat ride from the country's capital. The length of the North Male atoll is 70 km and the width is 40 km.
LiveAboard.com Special Deals (21.02.21) in Maldives
- Blue Force One - 27 Mar 2021 - from €1,462.00 - 7 Atolls Route - Deep South Down (Male - Koodhoo) - $500 OFF!
- Horizon 3 - 04 Apr 2021 - from €2,111.00 - Addu – Fuvahmulah - Huvadhoo - Early Bird Deal - 5% off
- Moonima - 04 Apr 2021 - from €1,312.00 - The Central Atolls: North Male, Ari, Vaavu and South Male Cruise 7 nights - (26% OFF)
- Princess Rani - 18 Apr 2021 - from €1,240.00 - Addu - Male - Valid on new bookings only.
- Emperor Serenity - 02 May 2021 - from €1,429.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights - %22 off
- Maldives Aggressor II - 02 May 2021 - from €1,857.00 - Best of Maldives (Male - Male) - Travel the World Special! (25% OFF)
- Nautilus Two - 3 Jun 2021 - from €1,344.00 - Ari and South - €640 OFF on Summer Specials!
- Blueshark One - 5 Sep 2021 - from €1,075.00 - Central Atolls - For New Booking Only. Valid until March 31, 2021
- Emperor Serenity - 12 Sep 2021 - from €1,429.00 - Best of Maldives 7 Nights - (25% OFF)
Thanks to the short distances from the islands to Male airport the main transport in this part of the Maldives is a speedboats and traditional dhony boats. Travel time can vary from 15 minutes to an hour. The rates are depending on the distance: from 60 USD to 200USD for round-trip. The kid's ticket price is half the adult. For transfer to the remote islands of North Male Atoll, you can order a seaplane at your request. In all cases you will need to notify your hotel from 48-72 hours before the date of your arrival to the Maldives, so that the hotel's staff booked for you a speedboat or an air taxi.
Speed boat transfers operate 24 hours per day. These transfers will be arranged by the hotel based on your arrival/departure time.
Good to know: All seaplane transfers are made during daylight hours, and offer an amazing perspective on the atolls, islands, reefs and lagoons. Seaplanes operate from 6:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., 7 days per week. However, schedules vary depending on the arrival and departure times of all guests on that given day. You must arrive in Male before 3:30 p.m. in order to catch a same day seaplane transfer. If you are unable to find an international flight which gets you here in your time, you could also spend a night in Male or Hulhumale and see what the local life is like. As for departure: the seaplane operator takes care of all guests who have their international flight schedule departure time after 9 AM. Your inbound flight from the Maldives must depart between 0850hrs and 2000hrs. More detailed information you can get from "Good to Know" section available in the description of each hotel.
North Malé Atoll and South Malé Atoll together with Kaashidhoo Island and Gaafaru, the group forms the administrative division of Malé Atoll which is referred to by its Thaana alphabet letter code name Kaafu Atoll that has 107 islands.
Atoll is blessed with world class dive sites, many of which are on top in the Maldives. Manta rays stations, hipnotic reef formations, coral gardens and wrecks - all part of a fun diving is in the heart of North Male atoll. Maldives Victory, which sank on Friday, 13th 1981, near Hulhulé island ( Velana airport), is now a popular dive site.
North Male atoll located in the heart of the Maldives archipelago, consists of 50 islands, and only 8 are inhabited, 29 are island resorts, the rest are uninhabited or rented out. The first hotel in the Maldives opened in North Male in 1972 and had only 30 rooms. Today, luxury resorts are ready to accomodate daily up to several thousand guests.
Thulusdhoo island is the center of business and commercial activity. The place is best known for its Coca Cola factory, drinks prepared from desalinated sea water. The State Trade Organization (STO) has one of the main depots of dried fish on this island. Here, all dried seafood is exported to other countries. Fishing boats from northern atolls loaded with dried fish come to Thulusdhoo port to sell their catch. In addition to everything, on the island there are factories for the production of clothes and traditional Maldivian dhoni boats, that here are built from fiberglass fabrics. The eastern side of Thulusdhoo called 'Cokes' is the famous surf spot. If you prefer this water sport - the eastern beaches of the North Male Atoll - await your feats.
The famous surfing spot and dive site, Himmafushi is the populated island of North Male Atoll (Kaafu Atoll), Maldives. Located halfway to Diffushi, between Huraa and Male airport, Himmafushi is an excellent island for a budget holiday.
Situated in North Male atoll between the islands of Himmafushi and Thulusdhoo, Huraa Island is a 35-minute speedboat from the Male airport. A good option for budget holiday!
In the atoll's northern part, 87 km from the capital of the Maldives, lies the large agricultural island of Kaashidhoo, which is the fifth largest island in the Maldives. The earth shak, measuring almost 3 square kilometers, is known for the ruins of an ancient Buddhist temple, pre-Islamic period, and abundant coconut plantations.
To the south of this island is a small isolated Gaafaru atoll. Gaafaru island is the only island on the eastern side of the reef, which is marked by several shipwrecks. The population of the island of Gaafaru is approximately 1100.
Metropolis Male is the real Indian Ocean's Manhattan. In the capital of the Maldives, there are all city attributes, including mosques, the market, banks, souvenir shops, shopping malls, restaurants, cafes and bars. In fact, in Male it is impossible to get lost - all the streets face three great roads. Also on the island there are many hotels, each of which offers pleasure cruises along the islands of the Maldives archipelago, calculated from one to several days.
Dhiffushi island is one of the inhabited islands of the North Male Atoll located next to Meerufenfushi. Diffushi was one of the first islands in Male Atoll, where they began to build guest houses for budget tourism. The island has a hospital, a mosque, restaurants and cafes, two shops and a local football club.
Most of the Maldives' attractions including the natural wonders of the North Male Atoll are below the waterline. Many local islands and luxury resorts have vibrant house reef offering a great snorkeling with a vibrant marine life.
As an alternative, you can go on an excursion to the capital of the Maldives. Male City is replete with local attractions and the city tour takes you not so much time, but if you are so curious to visit:
- Fish Market
- National Museum
- China-Maldives Friendship Bridge
- Jumhooree Maidan Park;
- Mulee-aage Palace:
- Muleeaage & Medhu Ziyaarath,
- Tomb of Mohammed Thakurufaanu;
- Singapore Bazaar
- Maldives Grand Friday Mosque;
As well as 25 picturesque mosques in the capital, the most interesting are Hukuru Miskiiy (XII-XV cc.) with the minaret (1675) and the sultans cemetery; Bandara Miskiiy, Daruma Baryta Miskiiy (XV century, the oldest in the country), Kalu Vakaru Miskiiy and more.
In addition to hotels, attractions, restaurants and cafes, the metropolis of Male is also filled with shops where visitors can buy stuff. Malé shopping can be an exciting adventure. Read More...
Activities and Sports
Popular activities in North Male atoll are diving, snorkeling, surfing, windsurfing, fishing, water skiing, kite surfing, island hopping, Male city excursions, sea cruise, kayaks , sailing, parasailing, picking up seashells, building sand castles, a hammock with a book in hand, massage, cooking lessons, yoga classes and much more.
In fact, all hotels have a spa, some even world-class, so your body and mind are waiting for a decent and well-deserved relaxation. On some of these paradise islands you will find perfect beaches, lots of sun and sand, ideal spots for swimming and house reef snorkeling.
MALDIVES RESORT Packages, Offers & Promotions
- Centara Ras Fushi Resort: Save UP to 50%, book till 31 March 2021 - stay Now - 30 April 2022
- CROWN & CHAMPA Resorts: UP to 40% OFF. Book until Feb 28
- Dhigali Maldives: Dhigali Family Escape package - safe at least 48% !
- Heritance Aarah: book early till 28th Feb for Stay till 31st Oct - 40% OFF
- Anantara Resorts Maldives: Deals start from USD 464
- Constance Maldives: Up to 40% OFF
- Medhufushi Island: 5 Nights Stay with Seaplane Transfer for USD 925
- Kandima Packages: As low as US$ 1006 for 3 nights; Travel period to 10th May 2021
- Coco Collection: ISLAND ESCAPE Offer - Use the code “ISLANDESCAPE” to get up to 15% off;
- You & Me Maldives: Honeymoon Offer, Repeaters Discount
- Kihaa Maldives: up to 40% OFF Members Only
- Baros Maldives: BLISSFUL BAROS offer - Valid for stays to 22 December 2021.
- Cinnamon Velifushi Maldives: 55% Off All Rates Special Offer.
- Reethi Faru Resort: TWO BEDROOM SUITE FAMILY PACKAGE
Best Hotels in Maldives
Best for Budget Trip
Best Resorts in Maldives
Recent Posts 21.02.2021
- COVID-19 TRAVEL FAQ
- Air Travel post coronavirus (updated)
- Maldives Guesthouses Reopen after COVID-19 closure
- Most Romantic Luxury Vacation Deals in Maldives You Don't Want to Miss
- Dhigali Family Escape: The Maldives Island for All Ages
- Easter Holidays at Emerald Maldives
- Stay Safe and Healthy at Mirihi Island Resort
- Sustainability is Key factor to Success at Ellaidhoo Maldives
- Waldorf Astoria Maldives wins Forbes Travel Guide best Instagram award
- What's Hot at Kandima's Dining Scene
- Cocoon Maldives wins Booking.com Traveller Review Award
- Mindful Breathing: Learning the Art at Milaidhoo Island Maldives
- Neelam & Samir’s Family Vacay at Lily Beach
- Former Miss GB, Amy Willerton vacations at Kihaa Maldives
- Fushifaru Maldives triumphs 2021 Booking.com Traveller Review Award
- 10 Best Hotels in Maldives for Under $200 per Night
- 10 Experiences Every Traveler Should Have in the Maldives
- The Art of Yoga with Constance Hotels in the Maldives
- Maldives Manta Ray Hot spots
- Enjoy your Vacation in Paradise with this 10 Free Transfer offers
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
10 Romantic Dining Experiences
The Maldives is a breathtaking destination with it's paper-white sands, azure lagoons, and seclude island vibes. Dining and romance go hand in hand in the Maldives.The restaurants and destinationRead More
6 Underwater Restaurants
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Liveaboards
Liveaboards in Maldives is the best way to discover underwater world with many must-have tropical SCUBA experiences. Deserted, white sand islandsRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelersRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More