Dusit Thani Maldives
Best Experience: Water Villas, Couples, Families, House Reef Snorkeling & Diving, Manta Rays & Whale Sharks Watching, All Inclusive
If the idea to stay on the Maldives in a Thai-style hotel raises your eyebrows, think about what it gives you. The warm hospitality of Thailand in an unprecedented luxury setting: two of the best aspects of an Asian luxury trip in one magnificent package.
Dusit Thani was built in 2012, and it is one of the best all-around luxury resort in the Maldives. Located on Mudhdhoo island in Baa Atoll, the Maldives’ first and only UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, Dusit Thani seduces guests with pearly white sandy beaches, turquoise lagoons, lush vegetation and a fantastic 360-degree house reef with one of the most abundant marine life in the Maldives. Highlights include 108 attractive waterfront rooms, great food, a large infinity pool, and a tree-top spa. Villas sit on the beach or over the ocean, meaning you can either walk straight onto the sand or into the water. With Dusit Thani's kids' club the 5-star resort is not cheap (for good reason), but it also includes nice bonuses such as snorkeling gear, kayaks, Wi-Fi, daily yoga classes, and in-room Nespresso machines. The resort’s biggest drawback is its out-of-the-way location, at least 35 minutes from Male Airport by plane.
The first thing that strikes you is the hospitality you experience right from the moment you land in Male airport. The check in experience is very smooth, you will welcome at the jetty and taken straight to your villa for check in.
The island itself is beautiful with lots of greenery and it is to be noted that there is not much 'beach' on Dusit Thani - it is more jungle and rustically beautiful.
This relaxed, barefoot-chic resort blends Thai and Maldivian influences – think thatch-roofed villas decked out with Asian silks. Guests can navigate jungle paths on bicycles and dine with their toes in the sand. The huge infinity pool is the heart of the resort with a lively bar serving sunset cocktails to the sound of the live band. Solar panels, locally produced drinking water and wildlife conservation projects add eco-friendly points.
Facilities include two floodlit tennis courts, a yoga pavilion, a gym and a water sports centre for diving, snorkelling and kayaking. Banish boredom with a Thai cooking class, sunset cruise, wine tasting or island nature walk. The Devarana Spa (aptly meaning 'garden in heaven') offers signature spa treatments that combine a bath, body scrub and massage in a pod elevated amongst the palm trees.
What sets this hotel apart from others is the incredible staff! The service is impressive, attentive yet discreet with a butler at your beck and call. Dusit boasts a very international staff. Expect to hear Korean, Indian, Chinese and Arabic speaking staff during your stay. All staff members speak good English and you will have no problem communicating with them. Each and everyone of the staff is helpful and always greeted you with a smile. Restaurant managers are also very attentive.
Baa Atoll is a designated UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, justifiably famous for its incredible gatherings of manta rays and whale sharks at Hanifaru Bay is one of the best pearls of the Maldives. A prestigious place in Maldives, until recently 5-star Soneva Fushi was the only resort in the atoll, but in recent years saw the rapid growth of new luxury hotels that have replenished the collection of luxurious accommodation in Baa atoll. Read More...
A 35-minute seaplane ride north of Malé (or a 25-minute domestic flight followed by a 10-minute speedboat ride). This far-flung property is close to Hanifaru Bay, a feeding ground for manta rays and whale sharks from July to November, and is also close to several other five-star properties including Amilla Fushi and Soneva Fushi, should you wish to island hop.
Inspired by Thailand, architecture provides private life alone with a vibrant nature featuring both classical and modern styles. The resort villas and apartments are beautiful shelters of modern sophistication, with luxurious facilities and state os the art amenities.
The 94 residences and villas, perched overwater or on the beach, are huge. Expect indoor/outdoor bathrooms featuring standalone tubs, rain showers and Molton Brown toiletries; rooms with cloud-like beds and a cosy seating area; and private terraces – most with a plunge pool – leading straight onto the sand or with steps directly into the Indian Ocean. Standing on the edge of the deck you could easily see bright coloured fish and the steps down into the water make snorkelling almost effortless.
The beach-chic décor employs natural materials, wooden flooring and vaulted ceilings, and is complemented with modern gadgets like Bose surround sound systems and Nespresso coffee machines.
On offer a range of accommodation options, from Beach Villas, Beach Villa King with Pool, Beach Villa Twin with Pool to the Water Villa with Pool, Ocean Villa with Pool to exclusive Ocean Pavilions and Beach Apartments that provide "bathing" in the best luxury. The latter have two bedrooms, large swimming pools, indoor and outdoor dining terraces and even pantries. DOWNLOAD RESORT MAP
Dusit Thani Maldives has increased its product offering for 2018 with the introduction of a new villa category to enhance guest experience and choice of accommodation. The new Beach Deluxe Villa with Pool allows guests to enjoy the best of both worlds with their own private beach area complete with terrace and plunge pool overlooking the Indian Ocean. There are currently seven new villas in this category with more in the pipeline. These villas have been enhanced from the existing Beach Villas by adding a private pool at the front of each villa.
Dusit Thani Maldives also offers a luxury ‘Floating Breakfast’ concept, offering a memorable way to start the day in the privacy of the guest’s private pool. Guests can choose one of two options: Floating Breakfast with a Demi Bottle of Champagne (375ml), or Floating Breakfast with soft drinks only. ‘Floating Breakfast’ is available via In-Villa Dining at the resort’s signature two-bedroom Beach Residence, as well as at villas and pavilions which have private pools.
Restaurants and Bars
Fine cusine in an exotic setting is another highlight of this resort. There are three restaurants and two bars on the island. Food at all restaurants is exceptional. The breakfast and evening buffets at the Market would have pleased even the fussiest of eaters. The food is all fresh, there is food from all around the world.
The most guests sign up for the all inclusive package. The menu is well diversified. There is the market- buffet breakfast for everyone.... free flow bubbly, pancake, noodle and egg station! There is the Benjerong serving Thai food at lunch and dinner - it taste 100% authentic thai!! And then there’s the sea grill, international (pizza pasta salads burgers) for lunch and dinner. The service is absolutely amazing. The two bars, sands and sala, serving a good array of drinks, though I don’t see any wines for the all inclusive package. On the overall, food was quite good but not impressive. Everything was good except for the beef, which is pretty tough and dry.
The Market is where an international buffet breakfast is served, which includes complimentary champagne, Asian noodles, and a fun pancake station where you can opt for artistic creations such as mermaids and turtles.
Award winning signature Thai restaurant Benjarong is perched on stilts above the ocean and offers authentic dishes like Thai-style lobster and the cute bird-shaped chicken dumplings. The best restaurant for Thai Cuisine in Indian Ocean and the best Thai food you have ever enjoyed. Superb menu, superb service and what a setting, right over the ocean. Sights, sounds and aromas combine to create a feast for all the senses. Carefully crafted using the finest ingredients available, Benjarong’s signature dishes include Tom Kha Phak Gai and Tom Yum Gung soups, signature Thai spicy green papaya salad Som Tam Thai and sticky rice with ripe mango Khko Niew Ma Muang and many others.
Sala Bar on the upper deck is the spot for creative cocktails with sunset views. Dine on freshly caught seafood and steak at chic poolside eatery Sea Grill, before enjoying a nightcap at the aptly named Sand Bar overlooking the Indian Ocean.
Full relaxation can be found in the unique Devarana Spa, the signature Dusit Spa raised above the ground in a grove of coconut palms. Featuring the 6 deluxe treatment pods in the crowns of trees, Deravana is one of a kind in the Maldives. The spa has also developed two stunning ground level treatment rooms. Manicure and pedicure-dedicated area, private outdoor pool, steam and sauna are exclusively available for spa guests.
For all other activities the resort offers a fully equipped fitness studio with a personal trainer and yoga instructor, floodlit tennis courts, a playground and a children's club, a library, bicycles for fun trips around the island, and even a some shops if you get bored of shopping on the island.
The resort is also home to the largest infinity pool in the Maldives with an impressive of 750 square meters. As a visual center of the hotel, this swimming pool combines technology and nature with the flowing majestic Banyan tree.
It's time for movies under the stars every evening at Dusit Thani Maldives with the unveiling of a new outdoor cinema (2018), offering both 3D and regular film experiences. Cinema experiences can be booked privately for up to 10 people, so couples, friends and families alike can get together for an evening of film fun during their stay on the island.
UNESCO Biosphere Reserve
Nature is the most impressive attraction of Dusit Thani. The resort is located in the heart of Baa Atoll, where an ambundance marine life has earned the status of the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. This is the first and only marine site in the country that has reached this goal.
The manta season in Hanifaru Bay opens the chance for visitors to see manta rays and whale sharks gathering to feed on plankton. Between May and October each year, the South-West Monsoon causes a large collection of plankton to get caught in the funnel-like reef and this attracts hundreds of manta rays and whale sharks to come and feed from the coral reef. This is the largest known feeding station of its kind to exist in the world.
Fantastic snorkelling and diving are guaranteed - and for non-divers - the local biologist of the resort is always at hand to learn more about marine life.
In our opinion, no other place in the world brings us together in everyday life as the Maldives, and Dusit Thani certainly contains all the necessary elements for an idyllic holiday on a tropical island. The influence of Thailand, although unusual for the Maldives goes well with the spirit of this luxurious destination. Romantics should not be disappointed in this resort, but Dusi Thani is also well suited for families.
“Loved it! Very comfortable and loved the beauty and remoteness.”, “Awesome choice ”, “The truths island I ever seen”, Exceptional, Fabulous, “Perfect & beautiful place for vacation”, “Great reef - Average resort”, “Beautiful Resort. Friendly and helpful Staff. Would definitely come again.”, “Great experience that we will never forget”, “Heaven on Earth”, “Wow.. two thumbs up.. perfect in every aspect.”,
“Beyond our expectations!”
What Guests Love
- A mixture of Thai design with splashes of Maldives' ecological chic is a very cool idea;
- Comfortable, spacious and stylish villas with palm trees, thatched roofs, especially those rooms that are over the water;
- There are telescopes at the Sala Bar;
- The resort has secured a better place in the world's first Maldives Biosphere Reserve and its healthy corals - it's fantastically beautiful, both for snorkeling and diving, with easy access to the house reef and the bio-diversity of sea creatures (including dolphins);
- Gourmet cuisine, especially in the Bejarong restaurant run by a Thai chef. Food prices are acceptable compared to other Maldives resorts;
- Treatment rooms "Tree-top" in Devarana Spa are simply magical retreats;
- All pools are equipped with a salt electrolysis system that does not use chlorine.
What You Need to Know
- Check-in time is 14:00 hours and check-out time is 12:00 hours.
- The space of villas range from 122 sq.m. (Beach Villas) to 560 sq.m. (Two Bedroom Family Beach Villa with Pool);
- Dusit Thani Maldives is 35 minutes by seaplane from Male airport or 10 minutes by speedboat from the new Dharavandhoo Domestic Airport;
- The resort reserves the Seaplane/Domestic Flight transfers on behalf of the guests. The guest is charged at the time of check out from the resort.
- The staff is well-trained and tries to make the rest enjoyable, but the hotel is large and sometimes some minor detail is overlooked;
- The sand is larger than in some other Maldives-hotels, so it is difficult to call a place completely "barefooted";
- Prices for diving or rental equipment, as well as for excursions, including fishing, can be significant;
- The resort has a wide range of free services for owners of gold cards (Dusit Gold Card).
- If you are leaving on a late flight, we would recommend doing so by speedboat and domestic flight, as the latest seaplane leaves by 1500, whereas the speedboat at 1800.
- The ocean pool villa is west facing gets really hot after the morning and we prefer the east facing ones, which comes with a larger roof edge shade.
- Snorkeling is better at the Benjerong side, ie, near the water villas.
- At no point do you need to be any more than 10 or 20 metres from the shore if you don't want and you will see everything.
- Dusit Thani Maldives was named the winner of four prestigious categories of the Haute Grandeur Global Awards 2019. The award-winning resort was declared Haute Grandeur Global’s Best Beach Resort in the Indian Ocean, Best All-Inclusive Family Hotel on a Global Level, Best All Inclusive Resort on a Global Level, and Best Wedding Retreat on a Global Level.
Best Hotels in Maldives
Best of Maldives
Recent Post 31.03.2020
- Liveaboard Staff to be Allowed to Leave Vessel Only After HPA Approval
- UK Repatriates British Tourists in the Maldives
- Kagi Maldives Spa Island to Open in September 2020
- Maldives Could Open Borders for China and South East Asia by May
- Velana Airport in Partial Closure over Coronavirus Travel Restrictions
- Seaside Finolhu Kick Starts Exciting Transformation Project
- Atmosphere Hotels Supports Maldives Coronavirus Response Efforts
- Most Resorts Close as COVID-19 travel Restrictions Hit Maldives Tourism
- Crown & Champa Temporarily Closes All Resorts
- Maldives GuestHouse Industry to Lose Nearly USD 30 Million in Revenue
- 10 Best Overwater Residences In The Maldives
- Top Spring Summer 2020 Swimwear Trends
- 10 Best Beach Residences In The Maldives
- 10 Best Family Water Pool Villas in Maldives
- Where to Spot Celebrities in The Maldives
Beach or Water Villa?
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly revamped to cater to the needs of families visiting this tropical island. Special kidsRead More
10 Romantic Dining Experiences
The Maldives is a breathtaking destination with it's paper-white sands, azure lagoons, and seclude island vibes. Dining and romance go hand in hand in the Maldives.The restaurants and destinationRead More
6 Underwater Restaurants
Dining under the sea is a growing trend in the Maldives that enables diners to enjoy a great food and incredible underwater views all at once. The 6 breathtaking underwater restaurants in Maldives must toRead More
Maldives Hotel Reviews
Some of the best hotels and resorts in the Maldives are already included in this list, and the good part of them offers the best prices. We will constantly add new hotels, so regularly check for the best dealsRead More
10 Best Local Islands for Snorkeling
Want to snorkel with manta rays, whale sharks and sea turtles or maybe above scenic house reef on your next budget trip in the Maldives? The Maldives is one of theRead More
10 Exclusive Resorts in Maldives
The Maldives is paradise destination that should be on the bucket list of every discerning travelers. There's a special breed of hotels there that cater to the most tasteful of luxury travelersRead More
Maldives Luxury Guide
Here's the best of Maldives for luxury travellers. We've compiled the finest recommendations of places to stay, ranging from the most celebrated five-star resorts to luxurious private islands Read More
Maldives Romantic Guide
The ultimate ‘flop and drop' and honeymoon destination, the Maldives is the playground for the most amazing and finest utilization of each second of this extremely valuable and hopeful time with each other in tota Read More
Maldives Budget Guide
Budget travellers choose Maldives as their destination of choice thanks to the variety of affordable stays Read More
Maldives Family Guide
Maldives - a name that became synonymous with honeymooners' paradise in the tourism world, has slowly Read More